Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland vr-760 mods?

toad

Hi there, this is my first post. anyway, my problem is that I want to use just one board at gigs, my vr-760 only has combined outputs and I have a kbr-3D(stereo w/rotary horn) I wish the roland had separate outs for organ and pianos,synths. Anyway to midi out any audio outputs or re-wires or mods?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

toad,

I had the same problem and wanted to use the VR760's Organ through the organ channel in my KBR3D and the piano through the HIFI Channel on the KBR3D, this is what I did and it was effective and had some successful gigs this way:

I went to LOOOPER.Com and had a custom stereo A/B foot switch made for $90. 2 discreet in and outs and it basically allowed me to channed switch the KBR3D with the VR760 outputs. It was 1/4" though not low-level. There was a slight 'POP' on the switch heard audible through an Organ Channel 'switch' because of the tube in the organ channel on the KBR, this was a slight problem, but I believe I solved that with a ground lift or lessened it that way to some extent! So, be aware of that! Maybe a stereo Low-Level A/B would minimize and POPPING! I may have also turned down the tube 'GAIN' on the organ channel to minimize the POP! Can't remember exactly but somehow I managed to keep it under a certain tolerance!

Because of the circuit limititaions on the actually switches used and their terminal configurations, the Loooper guy couldn't put an LED on the footswitch, so I had to keep track of my switches in case I get lost while playing. I found that wasn't really a problem! The VR-760 organ sounded very very good through the KBR3D, much better than with the SIM IMHO, and pleasantly better than I expected. Kicked Butt actually! I have the new piano SRX card in my V-Combo also, and in stereo with the KBR man! I had one amazing night with that rig at a private party for Trey Anastazio's parents at their home. (Alot of music biz people were there but no Trey). It was a memorable gig with that rig, I'll never quit forget it!

LOOOPER Link

I looked for a long time and was hard pressed to find an off the shelf "Stereo" A/B switch. There are things you can find to 'Fit to Work' at some A/V or Corporate Electronics retail sources online and such, but nothing as simple as a Stereo A/B footswitch I found. The LOOOPER guy (DAVE) will hook you up just fine man! That's one kookoo website!

Sometimes you have to think 'Around the Corner'!

lb :grin:

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

While the VR-760 is a decent clonewheel, that omission was the deal killer for me. The extra voices (piano, synth) were actually presentable but I run my clonewheel through a Leslie and I do not want the piano and synth sounds running through the Leslie, I wanted separate outputs. That was a stupid omission on Roland's part.

The Real MC,

Yes it was but supposedly that was the instrument's design concept Roland said in regards to the lack of separate outs for the organ section. That is to use it's sim. only as a all in one 'portable' ax with piano and synth, all buy it's lonesomes and preferable through a Roland KC amp.

I have to agree with you, very stupid as viewed from our side of the fence! I made the Loooper switch work for me though, I was pretty successful with it! I gigged with it that way for 5-10 gigs or so! Tight space, higher profile gigs where sound was important, but had the stage space of a medium size closet!

lb

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Anyway to midi out any audio outputs
MIDI stands for Musical Instrument Digital Interface, which is a communication standard between musical devices. You cannot send audio through MIDI, only information.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Archived