Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jimmy page

I just got the blurb from Gibson, about the new Jimmy page model 6/12 string. Now, I'm not trying to promote Gibson here. I'm asking.... any of you guys ever play one of the Gibson double necks? I have, and I passed on buying them many times, because they are just so darned heavy and uncomfortable. I looked on ebay 8 or so years ago to purchase one, and found that they typically sold for under $2,000. Gibson expects $10,000 to $12,000 for this limited edition. I expect that they will get it, too. I just wonder how many real players will be buying them. Anyone here?

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just got the blurb from Gibson, about the new Jimmy page model 6/12 string.

Gibson expects $10,000 to $12,000 for this limited edition. I expect that they will get it, too. I just wonder how many real players will be buying them. Anyone here?

Bill

If I had the money, and if Carvin would produce them again, I'd buy a Carvin doubleneck over anything Gibson makes. Gibson's doubleneck quality was never as good as Carvin. This is only going to appeal to the collector IMO.

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

At that price, I can't imagine them selling to anyone but collectors. I could get a couple of Gretsches that I've been eyeing along with a nice Les Paul Gold Top for that kind of money, and they would actually get played.
John

I just got the blurb from Gibson, about the new Jimmy page model 6/12 string. Now, I'm not trying to promote Gibson here. I'm asking.... any of you guys ever play one of the Gibson double necks? I have, and I passed on buying them many times, because they are just so darned heavy and uncomfortable. I looked on ebay 8 or so years ago to purchase one, and found that they typically sold for under $2,000. Gibson expects $10,000 to $12,000 for this limited edition. I expect that they will get it, too. I just wonder how many real players will be buying them. Anyone here?

Bill

I got the same email from Gibson.

I certainly won't be buying it. I'm not in the market for a $12,000 guitar.

I've told the story here before about having to play a double-neck (CSL/SG copy) and ending up having to hold up the necks while I play & damaging my shoulder.

'Nuff said.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

I'm keeping an eye out for a Peavey Hydra, the doubleneck they put out in the mid eighties. If it's anything like the Milestone 12 I tried years ago, that would be a sweet but heavy axe.

Even better - the even rarer Peavey Jeff Cook model, in metallic purple, maple necks and a Kahler trem on the six.......

"I used to be "with it", but then they changed what "it" was! Now what I'm with isn't "it", and what is "it" is weird and scary to me. IT'LL HAPPEN TO YOU!" - Grampa Simpson

Maybe I'm just not cool enough, but to me, a doubleneck was always kind of lame. I understand its uses for Page and others during the 60s and 70s, but by the 1980s, as far as I can tell, 12 strings were on there way out, and to find someone post-Nirvana who plays a 12-string guitar is next to impossible.

Also, does anyone else find it odd that Page plays each one before you buy it? I don't care who my guitar is modeled after. The b******d better keep his hands off it. Especially if I'm paying $12 grand.

Shut up and play.

well not for me, double necks dont excite me at all and at that cost 2 or 3 really good guitars would be in the collection.

I think i may pass on this very generous offer from Gibson.....

G

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

In the mid 70's, I owned an Ibanez doubleneck(6/12), and it was heavy enough to make my back hurt. But, when "Stairway" rolled around, it was pretty nice to have it. And, I always had a weakness for electric 12 string, ever since I heard the George harrison use his Rick on those Beatle songs, and of course, the Byrds...

These days, I'd like to have a double neck bass (fretted/fretless 5 string) because I don't get a lot of time between worship tunes on Sunday mornings to change basses. But they just ain't real easy to find, especially with a lined fretless neck. Warmoth doesn't even make a body for one.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

well not for me, double necks dont excite me at all and at that cost 2 or 3 really good guitars would be in the collection.

I think i may pass on this very generous offer from Gibson.....

G

Yup. Way too much cash.

You want a double neck guitar? I have two words for you. Duct Tape.

I remember them having one hanging on the wall by the rental section of the old L&M in the '70 and I think it was going for $800 at the time. It looked too bulky for me as a kid and I just stared at it and banged on some used L.P.s instead. I did want the friggin' thing... I just didn't know why.

Do you remember when there were rental sections that had old L.P.s, SGs, Strats, Teles hanging on the wall? Not a popular business move these days... Epi's & Squires.

It's the main market for all manufacturers now. The officially endorsed, signed, custom modified instrument. I don't prescribe to this mentality. You too can feel like you're a Rock Star with your headset on and amp down low just close your little eyes and dream.

..have your sister take a polariod

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

I played one at a music store in St Louis back in 1978. It was on Page Blvd off Lindbergh. Can't remember the name. We were there playing for a street party they put on called "The Pageant"

Great store Two stories. 1st floor was all new, upstairs were used. It was upstairs. The salesman almost ran us over when he recognized Bob Seger who was hanging with us. Gave us the run of the place!

It was heavy. I couldn't see playing more than a couple of songs in a row. One thing I thought was unique about it was you could turn up the 12 string, play lead on the 6 string and the 12 string would resonate in chords. Almost like you had your own rhythm guitarist with you.

It was pretty much standard as SGs go. Just 2 necks and the ability to control both volumes. If I remember, and that is an "IF", it did have the ability to output each neck to a different amp.

Peace

Double neck guitars may be too heavy for most of us, other than Jimmy Page and Mahavishnu era John McLaughlin. Did either of them play those mothers ALL the way through the set, or just on selected tunes?

I have seen a couple photos of double-neck electric mandolins I wouldn't mind having, though! (8-string neck coupled with a five string neck, C G D A E, low to high).

I don't know anyone that would buy one, and all I do is classic rock where you would think that 6/12 would fit in if anywhere. Anyone would rather put the 12K into other way more useable gear. Collectors will grab them up but that's about it. I have a friend that own one of the original 6/12 Gibsons and it never leaves the house, he never gigs with it.

Interestingly there's a 90's era one up for auction and the guy claims to have purchased it simply to have one. Basically un-played as he describes it.

I've mentioned several times in the past how much I liked the entire Professional Artwood series Ibanez put out during the '70s in ash with that vine of life thing... which (as previously mentioned) was a knock off of the John McLaughlin original doubleneck.

Last year they made a limited run of 45 hand made Artwood Twins with a street price of around $6000.

Half the price, twice the guitar and 1000 times the beauty IMO.

Now I know mahogany isn't the lightest wood on earth but wouldn't ash be even heavier?

Hmmmm?

Revoload said: "Also, does anyone else find it odd that Page plays each one before you buy it? I don't care who my guitar is modeled after. The b******d better keep his hands off it. Especially if I'm paying $12 grand."

It's not like he would be taking it out on a gig. Are you worried about a tiny bit of fret wear, or maybe a small bit of Jimmy's sweat on the fret board? If you are paying $12 grand, or even $5 grand, for a guitar, you want to know that every bit of wood, metal, plastic, paint, laquer, etc. has been put on carefully, and tested by an expert to make sure it fits right, works right, and looks right. Someone had damn well better play that guitar, several times, before it leaves the shop, and who better than a professional guitarist who has a lot of experience with that kind of instrument?

And yes, I would want Michael Andretti to drive my Ferrari before I bought it. He is an expert! He would be able to tell the mechanic things like, "There's just a tiny extra bit of drag on the right side brake."

Jimmy

Music is sound for its own sake.

Gibson S1; Roland Cube60, Peavey Deuce, Marshall Lead 12; Cubase SX3, Yamaha X15, Proteus 2000

LMFAO :grin:

ya... but like he's old and maybe he's gunna dump some unsavory dna crap all over it when he sweats...

Maybe if he does play it they'll knock the price down a little.

I just got the blurb from Gibson, about the new Jimmy page model 6/12 string.

Gibson expects $10,000 to $12,000 for this limited edition. I expect that they will get it, too. I just wonder how many real players will be buying them. Anyone here?

Bill

If I had the money, and if Carvin would produce them again, I'd buy a Carvin doubleneck over anything Gibson makes. Gibson's doubleneck quality was never as good as Carvin. This is only going to appeal to the collector IMO.

+1000 on the Carvin quality which pretty much applies to the six strings too.

What can this strange device be?

When I touch it, it gives forth a sound

It's got wires that vibrate, and give music

What can this thing be that I found?

My buddy bought a Gibson 6/12 new in the late '80s. I'm pretty sure he only played it for "Stairway". Sure, it was a lot heavier than his LP, but not much more than my Peavey T-40 a.k.a. "the heaviest bass ever made". (Well, there are heavier ones now, but that sucker sure was heavy!) He babied that thing and reportedly sold it for a profit some 15 years later.

Maybe if Gibson had pulled this stunt at the height of LZ and especially "Stairway" I could understand. But why now? Does everybody in the world already own a guitar, and this is the only way to sell new ones? I don't get it. If you wanna be like Fender and have an artist series guitar and inflate the price a little, that's fine. But Gibson is asking for way too much here, IMO.

At a guitar show I passed on a guitar/bass SG double-neck. It would have matched my buddy's 6/12. It just didn't look like a quality build to me, although I could definitely make use of something like that today. Or maybe a 12-string bass or Chapman stick, either of which would probably be easier to work with.

I'd buy it. Look at my avatar.

But at the end of the day, I a) don't need a 6/12 double-neck, b) have played the EDS-1275 and found that it was heavy as hell and really awkward, c) don't have any plans on taking $12,000+ and spending it on a guitar at the moment, and d) see this as the value for being a collectible rather than a playing guitar, and I only buy guitars I can play.

But yeah, if not for that, I'd buy it. Keep in mind that the Gibson and Fender custom shop Eric Clapton 335 and Strat models sold out within 48 hours of going on sale, similarly priced, and instantly went up in value. Gibson will sell every one of these in a weekend, and some people who are lucky enough to buy them at $12K will sell them for $20K the following week.

Not my thing, but I can see why some people would be jumping at the bit to get in line, don't you?

Archived