Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

When practice just doesn't go well

trader56

I always practice first thing upon risisng since that's when the bulging discs in my neck are most quiet and my hand is least numb.

This almost always goes well, but every once in awhile (like this morning), nothing seems to work well. My fingers are slower than usual, I miss notes, and in general, the whole thing feels "forced," like I'm working too hard or straining. Well, after 20 minutes or so of that, I just decided to wait until later.

How do yuo guys handle that sort of thing?

Just stop and come back later?

Push on through it until it smooths out?

Never happens to you?

Sorry for such a lame question - it's been interesting trying to scrape off the rust after SO many years!

Thank yuo, once again, Guys!

Dave

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple of times I began my reply to this... I gave some lengthy B.S.

But you know? We all have good days and bad days. That's the way it is. It's that simple.

Patience and persistence will make you a better guitar player. Guaranteed!

Playing guitar well takes a lot of long hard work. Even the so called "naturals" had to put in their time.

Right on HT....You speak TRUTH. :thu:

Sometimes I just have to walk away from the guitar. I'll get so frustrated, bored, get the feeling that I'm just playing the same old $$it, etc.. When I get the feeling I want to smash something, I just put the guitar down, and walk away.

Usually the next day, my head's in a better place, and I'm good as new.....HOPEFULLY!!

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Push on! I have HAD to play guitar in every kind of mental and physical situation you could imagine, births of my two boys (both born while I was playing a gig out of town), ruptured appendix, death of my father,broken ankle,broken collar bone, broken ribs, death of another band mate and closest friend, broken and cut fingers,steel bits in an eye, sick with the flu, migraine head aches etc. and tons of things I can't even remember now. If you have to stop beause of pain ok, but make up the time when you can, get in the total amount of practice time for the day in segments if you have too.

Depends on my mood.

Sometimes I push on...other times I put the guitar down and walk away.

One thing though...I always stay conscious of the fact that I CAN PLAY...so there's no need to let it really get me down.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Practice is one of those things, like brushing your teeth, that has value even when it is boring or anoying. Still, it is helpful to find ways to keep practice interesting, because you'll get further faster if it is. Jumping right into playing songs, looking at new stuff that you really want to know how to play... I don't know, everyone has their own ways of doing this sort of thing... getting fired up about practice. I've been playing for so long that I don't actually practice anymore, but I play the guitar in passing... there is always one out on a stand, and I might stop and fiddle around for a few minutes, move on, then get back to it. But hey, I'm a lazy guy.... it sounds to me as if you need a motivation, as you are forcing it because you don't really want to do it. When you don't wanna do it, when your mind is on something else, that is likely to be the times that you feel the way that you describe.

Some days it pays to take a break. Just don't make it a habit.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

One thing though...I always stay conscious of the fact that I CAN PLAY...so there's no need to let it really get me down.

YES! That's one thing I tell myself too when my digits are less than cooperative. I know I can play! Whatever crap I'm going through is just temporary.

I'm forever noodling, even at the computer, watching TV, workin' out some nuance I'm after. Solid bodies are cool for that - Others in the room don't get riled.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Yes, indeed, we can't afford to get uptight if we have a bad day at practice, or even a bad gig! We're in this thing for the long haul.

In fact we were discussing this at a band meeting last night, about a recent gig where I screwed up one song (not to the degree of being a train wreck) and my bandmate messed up an intro, and we decided to start the song over. We agreed that these things happen, learn from your mistakes, move on, and do it right the NEXT time!

One simple thing I call to mind

Perfect folks are hard to find!

I'm forever noodling, even at the computer, watching TV, workin' out some nuance I'm after. Solid bodies are cool for that - Others in the room don't get riled.

Yeah, I used to do that all the time. I hope that when I get the whole house humidifier installed I get back into that habit.... I got out of it when I moved, because I now have to keep the guitars in their cases. But it was great to have a guitar or two on stands in every room. Even watching TV, I'd just be plunking away.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Practicing while watching TV is an American rite of passage! And sometimes a cool melody or guitar lick comes up you just have to try and grab... at all costs.. before it ESCAPES, and your life will never be the same!

I *LOVE* playing in front of the telly and, even better, ALONG with the telly. I've said this before but the telly's a great practice tool, because it's constantly throwing new music at you, often for only a few seconds. It's a bit like shooting skeet. :)

Another good thing about playing (acoustic) along with the telly is that it annoys my wife. :evil: I think "Grey's Anatomy" is a really stupid show and now, whenever something particuarly silly happens, I start doing those CHANG-CHANG-CHANG-CHANG Snow Patrol basslines. It annoys the heck out of her! :D:thu:

But yeah... if you're having a bad day, persevere. It's all good. If you have a bad WEEK, then start wondering about what's wrong or why you are feeling unmotivated.

Ellwood....you got metal in your eye and didn't call me??? :o;) :grin:

LOL! well I would have Doc except that was about 20 years ago! THAT was no fun at all. We where playing a Wednesday, Fri,Sat gig in Toledo OH. Friday at work I was walkig through one of the shops, just cutting through to make a meeting on time (no saftey glasses on OF COARSE) and felt something hit my eyelid. About 3 in the morning after the gig I went into Toledo General Hosp. emergency. The needle shaped piece of metal when through my eyelid, broke off part of it still in the eyelid and the other part went into my eye! The Doc got it out, but wow that was pretty horriable!!

Did you say you DIDN'T HAVE SAFETY GLASSES ON?????? :o :o :o

It's all fun and games, UNTIL somebody loses an eye..... :grin:

The fight for sight never ends...........

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Did you say you DIDN'T HAVE SAFETY GLASSES ON?????? :o :o :o

It's all fun and games, UNTIL somebody loses an eye..... :grin:

The fight for sight never ends...........

Yeah!! but I was only cutting through running to a meeting! I bet it took all of 15 seconds to get through a narrow part of this shop!! buy yeah safty glassess where strictly required in that area..well I learned my lesson on that one!

Yes, we all learn our lessons - sometimes the hard way! About three weeks ago I was running to catch a train in the subway on a slippery platform and fell and broke my ankle!

Luckily it wasn't too bad a break and I'm back to work now, without a cast. But I now know that "walk don't run" is good advice. Especially since it was in the evening when I didn't have any strict schedule to get anywhere!

So we pass these lessons on to the others, knowing that most of the time they won't listen any more than WE did....

Eye damage can happen anywhere. The band leader, in our old band, got a fiddle bow in the eye. Tore his eye up so bad, that he had to get a pig skin patch put on it until it healed.

Proving, like I have always said, that fiddle players are DANGEROUS! They are NOT the nice mild-mannered people they seem to be!

I've never been an accomplished 6 string guitar player. I played short scale bass back in the late sixties and no one ever threw anything at me when we were gigging, so I guess I was okay, and I even sang lead! That being said, I still suck at 6 string, but I never give up. I do suck less than I did when I decided to pick up a guitar again a few years ago. The point is, build on small improvements and in my case I have a few songs that are easy to play and I always finish my practice with them. I have a short scale bass coming from Rondo tomorrow! The dream lives!!!

Yes, we all learn our lessons - sometimes the hard way! About three weeks ago I was running to catch a train in the subway on a slippery platform and fell and broke my ankle!

Luckily it wasn't too bad a break and I'm back to work now, without a cast. But I now know that "walk don't run" is good advice. Especially since it was in the evening when I didn't have any strict schedule to get anywhere!

So we pass these lessons on to the others, knowing that most of the time they won't listen any more than WE did....

You got that right!! the regular fiddlers are bad enough with the eye damage..but you really gotta watch those low slung ones !! Like Kershaw!! they can poke ya in the eye and a miunte later poke ya in your package!! http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b48/ellwood1/doug.jpg

When practice just doesn't go well....

Cuss like a sailor, grab a 6-pack of beer, and beat the hell out of yer guitar like Pete Townsend would in the old days!!

After all, it can't be your fault, it must be your gear. :grin:

I'll guarantee ya'...you'll feel better and probably change yer practice hours or take a break. :grin:

http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/images/66_winds_marsh812.jpg

"Just play!"

Archived