Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

the 80s (sigh...)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gee, it's interesting how a discussion of 80's guitar tone devolved into a list of everyone's 80's guitar heroes, many of which had crap-tacular tone during that time period...

The only crap tone I can think of was from C.C. DeVille....George Lynch had a killer tone.

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

Wasn't pointing specifically at you, bro, although Sykes was certainly a big one for lots of unnecessary effects...
No problema! :thu:

Don't you know The 80s = Gated reverb and delay? :grin:

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

Gee, it's interesting how a discussion of 80's guitar tone devolved into a list of everyone's 80's guitar heroes, many of which had crap-tacular tone during that time period...

But some of those tones sounded good; back then anyway!

The worst tone for me goes to Brad Gillis filling in for Randy Rhoads on Ozzy's second tour. Ouch.

Ty Tabor of King's X - killer player and tone.

The Edge of U2 - some interesting miminalist ideas, but he hit his stride around The Unforgettable Fire/The Joshua Tree, where his recorded tone improved.

"I used to be "with it", but then they changed what "it" was! Now what I'm with isn't "it", and what is "it" is weird and scary to me. IT'LL HAPPEN TO YOU!" - Grampa Simpson

The L.A. blond surfer dude dominance back then got right on my nerves-couldn`t imagine why. I had high hopes for Vernon Reid`s Black Rock coalition but it kinda fizzled, maybe if Prince had gotten involved or something...

Anyway for tone more than chops, Bill Nelson of Be-Bop Deluxe.

He later got into ambient guitar weirdness.

Pat Thrall, his playing on the Steve Winwood `Go` project was beautiful.

Noel Pointer had a few albums (look it up, you younger folks), with really groovin licks, John Tropea was one of the players.

also Novo Combo, someone mentioned the guitarist from that band recently, may it was JJ from the EQ forums? overlooked gem.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Yeah, everyone knows I love Steve Vai. And I think Eddie Van Halen did some pretty good stuff then too. I don't know much about the good players then, I mean of course SRV, but the less obvious...

"My two Fender Basses, I just call them "Lesbos" because of the time they spend together in the closet."-Durockrolly

This has been a Maisie production. (Directed in part by Spiderman)

I always thought the guitarist that played for Bryan Adams (his name has slipped my mind) was talented and always seemed to play just what a song called for when he soloed. Very tasteful playing.

It was either Keith Scott or Scott Keith that played for Bryan Adams. George Lynch & Warren DiMartini were favorites of mine. Neil Geraldo was/still is awesome and someone mentioned Big Country-they were actually pretty cool and did some tasteful stuff.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

...also Novo Combo, someone mentioned the guitarist from that band recently, may it was JJ from the EQ forums? overlooked gem.

I saw Novo Combo in a club around '82. Carlos Rios was playing guitar. I remember him from his playing on a Gino Vannelli album (Brother to Brother?). I remember he had about 10 M'ind picks (stone and very pointy) taped to his microphone stand.

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

Then somewhere the pendulum swung too far in the other direction and we breezed past the fleeting moment of glory that gave us Surfing With the Alien, Appetite for Destruction, and a few other goodies, and then we had "Hair Metal", which promptly sent the pendulum back the other way towards grunge and anti-technique chic.

I'd agree that Hair Metal helped provoke a reaction to crap 80's music, which materialized in the way of anti hair metal grunge, if I'm reading what you're saying right.

As far as Appetite For Destruction being a fleeting moment of glory??? though, I can't agree with that one. Gimme the 90's with Nirvana and Kurt Cobain over the late 80's with GnR and Axle Rose any day, even if Slash was competent at weedly deedling some cliche lead guitar solos and Cobain wasn't.

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

I think I spent most of the 80's, stuck in the 70's...

hehe I was stuck in the 60's... now it's the 70's... I'm behind the 8-ball.

"well fellas... there's 1 other thing yer gonna need to make it in Rock & Roll besides all them guitars and amps and drums and things. They call it A SONG..."

Archived