Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Scam or not?

Gruuve

Background: I've posted the Carvin fretless on my local Craigslist, got a fairly quick inquiry from this fellow...I've posted our email discussion below. My gut feeling is that he's a scammer. I'm thinking he will probably send a fake money order and insist that I ship the bass immediately. I'm actually reluctant to even give him my mailing (home) address.

What do you think? Am I just being paranoid, or do you smell a rat too?

===============================================================

Hello,

I just saw your ad on craigslist.I am interested in your instrument.Please let me know if it is still available for sale and what your final price is.Hope to hear from you soon.

James

Hey James:

Yup, it's still available. The asking price is $xxx. You can call me at 111-222-3333 if you'd like. Do you want to come play it?

Thanks for the inquiry,

Dave

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.I want you to know that i want the best for both of us in this transaction.I'm cool with your final price $xxx, please let me know if you will accept payment with Money order as it's the only way i can pay you at the moment.

I would have loved to come take a look at it but i am presently out of town.Please send me some pictures,i want to believe it is in a good condition.Also,don't fail to reply with your name and your address where payment should be sent.I will let you know how i intend to pick it up.I want you to take the posting off craigslist today.

Expecting to hear from you soon.

James.

Hey James:

Is there a phone number where I can reach you? Money order or cashiers check would be fine...just have to let it clear with my bank first. And yes, if you definitely want it, I'll take it off Craigslist as soon as I figure out how to do that :-P.

Where are you located? I can either ship it to you, or just put it in the case until you come to get it. When do you think you'd be able to come get it?

My wife has the digital camera full right now, but I'll see if I can get her to clear it off tonight and get some better pics to you. Sound OK?

Thanks and regards,

Dave

Hi Dave,

It is unfortunate that i will be out of town until the end of March and i would like to purchase the guitar from you.I do not have a phone number that you can use to reach me at the moment but i check my email everyday.I want it shipped to my friend in San diego,but i will make the arrangment myself.Please let me know if you would like to proceed.Provide your mailing address.

James.

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it looks and smells like a rat...

I got a definite scam vibe from the dialog. If it were me, I'd let this one pass on by. He seems to have an "unfortunate" excuse for every request that you make of him.

At the very least, you should inform him that you require that he be a bit more forthcoming if you are going to let the transaction take place.

[font:Century Gothic] POST NUMBER 1000! I AM SOMEBODY NOW. [/font] Too bad not a one of them made any sense.

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

If you are unsure if tis is a scam, I'd like to send you a check for 1,000,000 dollars. Please deposit it and send me back just $1000.00...you can keep the rest.

There's a reason why Craigslist STRONGLY recommends dealing in person. They don't even have the rudimentary protections that ebay employs.

"For instance" is not proof.

Hmmmm ? What is wrong with getting a US postal money order, depositing in your bank and waiting 10 - 15 days? However, he sure want's you address badly. Is it a pretty expensinve guitar? I can't see someone going to a lot of trouble to scam an item that is not real valuable. ???? I don't know, I am a little uneasy about it. Is he in your area?

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

[alarm bells]I want you to know that i want the best for both of us in this transaction[/alarm bells]

Scam, without a doubt.

Keep it going.

Scam the scammer!

This could be hilarious!

:D

:thu:

There's a website around all about scamming scammers. It's a great read - forgot the address. I'll try to look it up.

EDIT: ...here it is: http://www.419eater.com/

Go check it out. Some of the Scambaiting is really funny!

Give him a wrong address like, the police headquarters lol

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

Tell him you have decided that the "guitar" sould not be shipped during the cold winter months and that you will be glad to receive his money order in person.

Then give him the address for the admissions ward at Dorthea Dix.

(For all non-North Caroliners, Dorthea Dix is one of two very large "mental health facilities" in NC. It is located in Dave's city. They'll take real good care of him. :whistle:)

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

So, I see that I'm not paranoid (and neither am I). Here's my final reply to him :-P

================================================================

Hey James:

No Prob. You can send the money order to my office...here's the address:

Dave Sisk c/o Fraud Detection Unit

FBI Charlotte

Suite 900, Wachovia Building

400 South Tyron Street

Charlotte, North Carolina 28285-0001

Please let me know when you sent it. Thanks so much!

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Did you know his father was a senior government official in Nigeria, who unfortunately fell out of favor and was removed from power?

And if you'll just provide your bank account numbers so that he can move a large sum of money into the U.S. he'll gladly repay you with a commission of $2 million?

This is why I don't do business on eBay and Craigslist.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

I'm sorry. Since you all still feel like tis a scam...how can getting a money order(once cashed it cant be taken back right?) and waiting to ship it backfire? Have the check sent to the post office if you want to keep your address private. Although, I could get your address in about 5 min. on the net with your name, phone number and city/state. He has all those things right? So, I doubt he is looking to steal it... or he would probably just look up you address using the craiglist info and then come take it without contacting you.

I agree it seems a little off... but really I want to know how a money order could possibly go wrong. Maybe I am jsut missing something or dont understand how they work.

Thanks, Jonathan

Jonathan...good question. As I understand from my bank, there were lots of fake cashier's checks floating around last year. People would get a cashier's check for something they were selling, deposit it into their bank, ship the item, then be contacted by the bank a few days or week later to be told that the cashier's check wasn't legitimate, and the money was being deducted from their account. There's no reason someone couldn't do the same thing with a fake money order. So, that's how it works. They send a fake money order, and then pressure you to ship the item before the money order is caught at the bank. Theoretically, you could cash it...BUT, even if a bank cashes it and later discovers that it's fake, they'll still deduct the dollar amount from your account. If they didn't do it that way, scam artists would be lined up to open accounts and deposit fake money orders!

I live in a quiet neighborhood in a city with a low crime rate. But, I still don't want to just give my home address to scam artists. I don't see a reason to tempt fate...I guess I'm just getting more conservative as I get older. There's plenty of folks who will buy this bass, I don't have to take on the risks involved in trying to sell it to a possible scam artist. I can and will wait for a legitimate buyer.

The only part about this that really sux is that one bad apple spoils the whole bushel for all the honest people.

AND...just a funny thought...I should've put a "see ya soon!" at the end of my last reply to the guy. ROTF!

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Trust your gut. Back when I was doing a lot of wheeling and dealing, I remember a couple times where the emails didn't seem quite right. Not even as obvious as yours, and I just didn't do the deal. Wait for the next offer.

Wow, that never occured to me. And I to am paranoid. I have my practice room set up so that people cant see my equiptment from the street and I never let people know where I live. So I understand... too bad.

BTW, I am in matket for new bass. What kind bass it is? I can send you cashiers check no matter what it costs. I take it! what your SSN?

It's right on the Craigslist website:

FAKE CASHIER CHECKS & MONEY ORDERS ARE COMMON, and BANKS WILL CASH THEM AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE when the fake is discovered weeks later.

Examples of Scams

1.distant person offers a genuine-looking (but fake) cashier's check

you receive an email (examples below) offering to buy your item, or rent your apartment, sight unseen.

cashier's check is offered for your sale item, as a deposit for an apartment, or for just about anything else of value.

value of cashier's check often far exceeds your item - scammer offers to "trust" you, and asks you to wire the balance via money transfer service

banks will often cash these fake checks AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE WHEN THE CHECK FAILS TO CLEAR, including criminal prosecution in some cases!

scam often involves a 3rd party (shipping agent, business associate owing buyer money, etc)

4. distant person offers to send you a money order and then have you wire money:

this is ALWAYS a scam, in our experience - the cashier's check is FAKE

sometimes accompanies an offer of merchandise, sometimes not

scammer often asks for your name, address, etc for printing on the fake check

deal often seems too good to be true

One problem I see with Craig's list is accepting money and delivering the item. You should not let a stanger into your home where he "Knows" you probably have a lot of musical equipment. You can't meet him in another place where he could have "friends" rob you after he leaves. That is why I like Ebay when you deal with someone who has a good history and will use PayPal. 30-40 years ago you could be less careful but not in these times.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

One problem I see with Craig's list is accepting money and delivering the item. You should not let a stanger into your home where he "Knows" you probably have a lot of musical equipment. You can't meet him in another place where he could have "friends" rob you after he leaves. That is why I like Ebay when you deal with someone who has a good history and will use PayPal. 30-40 years ago you could be less careful but not in these times.

Rocky

Yeah, but that's the case with all classified ads.

And if you've ever tried to get your money back from Paypal because you've been scammed, you wouldn't be talking about it as a better alternative. Try to find a phone number of a customer representative on the Paypal site. Try to get a NON-FORM letter from them. You trust them with your bank account number and a credit card number, but they won't give you their phone number?

I'm in a major dispute with them now, and I still haven't been able to find a person to talk with. It's been six months, over 100 emails, a reversed charge from my credit card company, and 3 certified snail mail letters.

Just check out paypalsucks.com.

I also had a bad experience. I will no longer accept Paypal for big items. Too much risk.

Usually, the seller has no recourse if the buyer reports the item as "Not As Described." This complaint is also excluded from the Seller Protection Program.

After I got scammed with my Tobias on eBay, I'm seeing some definite scam potential here. Some of the language definitely seems the same, him being out of town, etc.

In my own case I wound up getting PayPal to back me up, but it took a lot of armbending to get them to do so. Avoid this guy like the plague.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

I guess I have been lucky. I've probably sold 40-50 basses on Ebay, never had a problem (knock on wood). Usually paid in full within 24 hours. Most good Ebays are not going to damage their rating. Someone who has had over 100 transactions and is 100% is pretty trustworthy in my opinion.

Rocky

Benjamin Franklin

I bought a couple of things from Craigslist.

In each case, I had the seller meet me at a semi-neutral location--my band's rehearsal spot, which is in a very busy neighborhood. The room itself is on the second floor of a totally secure, locked-down old warehouse, surrounded by other bands who all watch out for each other.

They brought the items to the spot, where I waited with my boys to check out the goods. If the seller rolled up with the intention of robbing us then or later, they'd be quite daunted by all the locks, the extra people with me and the simple fact that they'd really have a heard time getting away with any shenanigans in such a public area.

It's worked like a charm thus far.

Scared the crap outta the nice, young, very suburban guy who sold me the 6x10 Ampeg, though.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Archived