Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite Rhythm Guitarists -- Please Vote Now!

Editor Boy

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm curious...

How is Editor Boy going to tally up the results of this poll...especially when people mention more than one player... :)

Oh...I have no "one" favorite.

It's hard to pick one without discussing specific styles of music & playing.

AndI would say that anyone who can play good lead...should also be a really good rhythm player...'cuz you can't play leads if you don't know where the rhythm is, and/or how to work it.

But that's just my opinion...nothing chiseled in stone.. ;)

When I think about some of the Spanish Flamenco/gypsy players (like the Gypsy Kingsetc).now THERES some serious rhythm playing!!!

BUT.thats just one style of music...

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Hey Zub...it's interesting, because I was never a big Stones fan. I know they are great and all. But, I never bought any of their albums, etc.. Then a buddy talked me into going to see them somewhere around 1981 or so. And, seeing them live made a strong postivie impression on me. Their live sound, esp. for that era, was outstanding. I'm pretty sure that they had the first suspended PA I'd ever seen. Keith's tone, and playing was outstanding...not out in your face, but he laid down a foundation for their tunes that was an eye opener.

I'm still not a big Stones fan. But, I feel Keith is one of the best.

Speaking of one of the best Rhythm axemen, has anyone mentioned Chuck Berry???

We should have!! Add him to my list!

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Hey Zub...it's interesting, because I was never a big Stones fan. I know they are great and all. But, I never bought any of their albums, etc.. Then a buddy talked me into going to see them somewhere around 1981 or so. And, seeing them live made a strong postivie impression on me. Their live sound, esp. for that era, was outstanding. I'm pretty sure that they had the first suspended PA I'd ever seen. Keith's tone, and playing was outstanding...not out in your face, but he laid down a foundation for their tunes that was an eye opener.

I'm still not a big Stones fan. But, I feel Keith is one of the best.

Speaking of one of the best Rhythm axemen, has anyone mentioned Chuck Berry???

We should have!! Add him to my list!

aww, there we go. Good ole Chuck!

Add him to mine as well

Jimmy page

Clapton

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Jeff Beck

Dicky Betts

Keith Richard

Ron Wood

Nuno Bettencourt

Gary Moore

Back in the day I saw the "New Barbarians" Ron Wood, Keith Richard, amd Stanley Clark. Keith had a hard time standing upright, if you know what I mean, great show though, Boz Scaggs

opend up the show I like Boz.

all chucks children are out there playing his licks

*Bob Seger

When I think about some of the Spanish Flamenco/gypsy players (like the Gypsy Kingsetc).now THERES some serious rhythm playing!!!

Yeah, precisely. Very few of the guys mentioned play anything that you could consider "dance music". So how rhythmic are they?

Well Im not quite sure what you mean by "rhythm" but if you listen to Robert Johnson for example crossroads try to tap your foot to it; his rhythm is so perfect its a bit tricky to keep your foot in tempo for long periods of time, or maybe im just retarded if im not it sounds cool :)

Not tap yer foot but maybe the most heartfelt blues ever played.

Yeah, precisely. Very few of the guys mentioned play anything that you could consider "dance music". So how rhythmic are they?

Don't get me wrong...I'm a big R&R/Pop/Blues fan...

...but when you think about it, most R&R, Pop and Blues is rather straightforward and pretty "basic" as far as rhythm is concerned.and yet, many of the rhythm guitar players mentionedmostly play that kind of music.

I guess what Im getting at isif you cant play good rhythm without a lot of effort for your typical R&R/Pop/Blues kind of musicman.then you probably just cant play! ;)

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Don't get me wrong...I'm a big R&R/Pop/Blues fan...

Yeah, same here.

I sort of think that maybe the term "rhythm guitarist" can be misleading. Sure, those guys are keeping the rhythm, but it's not a very demanding rhythm. Maybe they should have been called "2nd guitarists" in the way that orchestras have a "1st violins" section and a "2nd violins" section.

In some cases, such as the Stones, the line between lead/rhythm or lead/other guitar is even more blurred because Keef and Ronnie swap roles all the time.

I've been looking over parts of this thread with interest, though I have not read the whole thing. I have to say this, though it will sound pretty egotistical.... I am my own favorite rhythm guitarist. My lead work blows chunks, but when it comes to rhythm, I'm your man.

So many rhythm players are boring, while others are too flashy and wish that they were lead players.

I don't do anything special, but I know when to play on the beat with the bass and drums and when to find another groove, and I know how to stay out of the way of the 'more important' elements while supporting them and sometimes augmenting them. I can fill up the empty space when playing by myself, or fall back to playing the simpler/less 'crowded' parts when playing in various sized ensembles.

I am surprised that more of you do not feel the same way... no doubt quite a few of you are acomplished at the art of fitting in and supporting without trying to overshadow the fronting instruments.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I haven't read any of the replies but some of my favorites are

Malcom Young

Nile Rodgers

Robben Ford

Ray Parker, Jr. (yes THAT Ray Parker)

I also used to love some of the single note parts that Steve Lukather played back in the 80's. but then again, he's a complete bad ass on everything.

Everybody knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. - Homer Simpson

malcom young

lyle preslar (minor threat)

troy van leeuwen

steve albini (big black/shellac)

tony iommi

dave grohl

john reis (drive like jehu/hotsnakes/rocketfromthecrypt)

ian mckaye (fugazi)

guy piciotto (fugazi)

nicholas arson (thehives)

ron asheton

lennon

jack white

kristofer steen (refused)

jon brannstrom (refused)

greg ginn (themightyblackflag)

steve jones (sexpistols)

nick valensi (thestrokes)

albert hammond, jr (the strokes)

Kyle Shutt (thesword)

J.D. Cronise (thesword)

townshend

page

If i absolutely had to choose ONE, it would have to be Malcolm Young. I mean, geez, the guy hasnt played a recorded solo for almost 35 years! (or there's about)

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=810593

http://www.myspace.com/dandelavega

Archived