Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Please suggest some cool solos for me to learn

Mass Effect

I don't play in a band so my guitar playing is usually limited to practicing scales & various chord progressions with a metronome.

From there I just play the rhythm parts to songs along with the CD player.

This can get kinda old after awhile so I wonder if the group can suggest some leads for someone with beginner level ablity.

What were the first guitar leads you learned when starting out?

quote:Originally posted by mdrs:

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

John Petrucci > Johnny Winter

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Guitar One Mag > Guitarplayer

Slash > Carlton

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The first that I'd consider 'lead' of any significance was probably Hey Joe by Jimi Hendrix. The intro has some lovely little slides and hammer-ons that aren't to difficult, but they're enough of a challenge for a beginner to make them interesting. The second was probably Black Magic Woman by Santana. Then I started learning George Benson stuff like Breezin' and Living Inside Your Love.

Sounds good so far. Keep 'em coming! I'm interested in any kind of guitar music so any of you guys/gals feel free to jump in and help. Any ideas will be very much appreciated. :thu:

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Slash > Carlton

Originally posted by Omaha:

My opinion is that a good lead doesn't need to be anything more than just playing the melody of a song. Sing a couple verses, play a verse on guitar, play the bridge, play a verse and get out. Simple. [/quote

Yeah but yeah but...there's a lot of twists and turns along the way. And it seems to me that of the half dozen or so players already mentioned - Chuck Berry, Hendrix, Santana,George Benson, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimmy Page they each have their own unique little bag of tricks, and a there's lot to be gained by beginners when studying them.

My opinion is that a good lead doesn't need to be anything more than just playing the melody of a song. Sing a couple verses, play a verse on guitar, play the bridge, play a verse and get out. Simple.

Oh wow. How much do you sell tickets for? It sounds like a real hoot ;)

:D

Originally posted by ellwood:

My opinion is that a good lead doesn't need to be anything more than just playing the melody of a song. Sing a couple verses, play a verse on guitar, play the bridge, play a verse and get out. Simple.

Your kidding..right!! :eek::confused: please say your KIDDING!!! :rolleyes:
Down boy....DOWN! :D

Easy there Lee...he's just learnin'...he'll figure it out in time! :)

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

I'm in a similar situation as you are Mass Effect (no band, usually just noodling around on my own) and what I have fun working on is the shorter little riffs and fills rather than trying to master something like the STH solo note for note (Way too advanced for me right now).

I've worked out several Beatles licks (Day Tripper, I Feel Fine, Ticket to Ride, Paperback Writer, etc.....) and I think it's fun to be able to fit them in right in time as I play through the chords. Certainly makes the song sound more genuine.

On the other hand I am also trying to learn the solo in Sympathy for the Devil, not too difficult once you get past those first two slurs that start it out. Also pick up Atom Heart Mother (Pink Floyd) if you don'y already have it and listen to Fat Old Sun. It's a slow song and the long solo that closes it goes fairly slow too (which is key for me right now!!!).

Originally posted by miroslav:

Your kidding..right!! :eek::confused: please say your KIDDING!!! :rolleyes:
Down boy....DOWN! :D

Easy there Lee...he's just learnin'...he'll figure it out in time! :)

Ok. :cry:

My suggestion to you Mass Effect, would be to get an instructional book with a CD. Be it, transcribed scores from a famous album or just something to jam with.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=810593

http://www.myspace.com/dandelavega

Your kidding..right!! please say your KIDDING!!!

Actually, I'm not. I think a beginner should be able to hear a melody, and then play it note for note, cleanly, the first time through. I don't mean hunting all over the fretboard. I mean knowing how to hear intervals and knowing how to translate those intervals onto the guitar.

Once you can do that, then by all means, fill it in with as many notes as you like. But the OP would be better off learning how to play what he hears rather than learning a bunch of licks by rote.

Realizing what key the song is in and what scale fingering the lead player was using is absolutely essential for the fast route to learning to competently improvise lead solos without hitting a bunch of stinking clam notes.

Melodies are good, but if you only play melodies, and aren't aware of scale fingerings, you are on a very slow route towards lead improv competency unless you have a very rare, inately great ability to play strictly by ear.

I think this is a great classic solo:

Beatles "While my guitar Gently Weeps" (which was actually played by Eric Clapton way back when he was actually capable of very inspired, deeply soulful improvs).

Even though it's slow paced, it's not total beginner material, but good practice for the minor 3rd bends, etc.

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

I think that's all good stuff too. He should learn keys, notation, scales, modes, everything. But I also believe that most beginners would be well served by a concerted effort at ear training. Once you get that direct "idea to guitar" path going, you can play anything.

I learned the pentatonic (blues) scale, then learned A TON by playing along with any early Clapton, but primarily for me, it was playing along with early Allman Brothers...esp. the first albums....."Beginnings", "Live at Filmore East", and "Eat A Peach".

Learn the backing guitar, and the leads. And, the Allman's in particular, leave plenty of "room" for you to improvise your own leads. I'd learn the basic leads that Dicky Betts or Duane Allman played, but then I'd spend most of my time improvising. It helps to try to develope your own "guitar voice".

Also, listen for the signature riffs all great lead players have. Try to learn these "tricks" that they depend on, and steal them!! The more tricks you know, the better!!

Have fun!!

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

The leads on a lot of Beatles songs are pretty accessible if you are just getting started.
My opinion is that a good lead doesn't need to be anything more than just playing the melody of a song
Your kidding..right!! [Eek!] [Confused] please say your KIDDING!!! [Roll Eyes]
Here. Let's keep everybody happy!

I want you..i want you so baaadd. i want youUuUuUuU..i want you so baadd it's driving me mad, it's drivin' me mad...

Easy little solo in A pentatonic. And for kicks and grins, try learning the chord progression in the beginning. I found it was fairly challenging without any tabs or music. Good for ear training.

Good luck!

"I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes." - Jimi Hendrix

Thanks for all the suggestions, everybody.

I know the major & minor scales and the pentatonic versions plus the blues variant of the minor pentatonic and I practice them daily.

There's a couple of 3 note per string scales I know but can't even remember the names or much less pronounce them. Mixolydian? :confused:

Anyway, it was pretty demoralizing to try and cop some of these licks I hear on CD and have it sound like garbage so thanks for the advice.

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Slash > Carlton

Originally posted by Mass Effect:

I know the major & minor scales and the pentatonic versions plus the blues variant of the minor pentatonic and I practice them daily.

There's a couple of 3 note per string scales I know but can't even remember the names or much less pronounce them. Mixolydian? :confused:

As was already mentioned, learn the Stairway to Heaven solo. It's an excellent solo to see how the pentatonic patterns you've learned are applied.

Don't get a transcription for this one either. Learn it by ear. You'll get more out of it.

As far as the modes, just keep working them. There's a theory sticky where I and others put out some good stuff on modes.

I figured Stairway would be a tall order but I'll give it a shot. It's amazing what can be done with the simple group of notes in pentatonic scales.

Everything seems to be in a minor key. Can you think of any songs that use the major pentatonic scale?

I've read it can be found in alot of rock solos. If I can play any scale fast and still be articulate, it would be that one.

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Slash > Carlton

Why not learn your way round the fretboard by learning some old surf music by the Ventures & Shadows>?

Corny, but some of it's still fun.

McG

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Another great Jimi tune - Third Stone From the Sun. Teaches you a lot about using octaves.

I also regularly practice with Albatros by Pete Green (Fleetwood Mac) and Oh Well, also by Pete. As well as surf tunes like Walk Don't Run and Pipeline.

Other favourites are Guitar Boogie (best version is Tommy Emmanuel's) and Honky Tonkin' - with these tunes you're starting to get into rockabilly territory!

I think I've tried to pick something up from just about every guitar player I've ever heard - for people who get bored learning scales etc, I think this is a perfectly valid approach to learning. Whatever works for you. I always enjoy practicing because I'm playing tunes I love.

Originally posted by McGeoff:

Why not learn your way round the fretboard by learning some old surf music by the Ventures & Shadows>?

Corny, but some of it's still fun.

McG

Surf music rocks. I really like the bands you mentioned along with the Astronauts and of course the world's greatest surf band...LAIKA AND THE COSMONAUTS!

Never can find TAB for that stuff so that's about the only music I've tried to figure out on my own.

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Slash > Carlton

Archived