Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

i've read that journey was a jam style band...

TELEBOY

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
before Perry joined.......lets see......there was an album called "Journey","Look into the Future",and "Next". You're looking at the the years 1975-1977. They had two members from Santana,and one from the Steve Miller Band...(Ross Valory....love that guy....)

saw the 'original' Journey here in cali back in the early 70s...

what a great band it was-NO vocals-dual guitars-slammin drums from ansley dunbar and keys from greg rolie-this was a monster instro band in the manner of Return to Forever and Mahavishnu Orchestra-intricate arrangements and great chops equals hard drivin-music...too bad what happened :(

s :cool:

AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Niel Schon is one of the first rock shredders.

That guy has a unique style.

He can rip pentatonics in a really cool fashion. Neil is a 2 note per string penatonic guy, like most but he can shred like that seemingly picking most of the notes.

A guy like Eric Johnson is always 3 notes per string when he plays pentatonics, but his hands are huge.

I love Neil's solos. He was one of those guys that kind of lost the spotlight when EVH came out. EVH kind of took away the light from alot of players that were awesome. Tom Sholtz, or Neil Schon are good examples. When the 80's came around those guys just faded and guys like Steve Vai took over where Eddie left off.

I love Neil's tones too. I noticed you could get a Schon guitar body for pretty cheap on Ebay a few months ago. The same ones that were released at the end of the 80's. Kind of a weird design, but it would be cool to build a guitar like that, I bet it would sound good with the right hardware.

I actually liked Journey before they got Steve Perry. Greg Rolie did most of the vocals.

It always amused me when someone said "Yeah, I've got the first Journey album, Infinity", :freak: ...

They did reissue the first three albums in a specially packaged set somewhere along the line.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

My Wife & I are going to see Journey / Def Leppard on July 4th.

Will let you all know how that went.

God Bless :wave:

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

He can rip pentatonics in a really cool fashion. Neil is a 2 note per string penatonic guy, like most but he can shred like that seemingly picking most of the notes.

that's not true. He plays more than that

ya, some of the lyrics on their first albums are kinda silly but the music more than makes up for it-I had no idea what an amazing keyboard player Rolie was until those came out. His replacement in Journey, Jonathan Cain, was nowhere near the same level. I saw him with a group called Bad English. Aynsley Dunbar was a top session player, I read somewhere that he used to get a minimum of $10,000 (in 1970s dollars) to pick up his sticks. As you can hear in their subsequent records, Neil Schon likes the high register, like Santana. I think their last two collections still had extended iinstrumental breaks but were more song-oriented than the very first-I like their version of `It`s All Too Much.`

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Originally posted by yZeCounsel:

Neil Schon is what Carlos would sound like if he practiced

Wow! :eek:

LMAO

Okay...getting back to the original thread, and, all the comparisons between Journey w/Rollie vs. Journey w/Perry...the productions for the albums being made before Perry joined the band were for a generationally different market than those made sans Greg Rollie. Journey after Rollie was more of what I would consider to be labeled as a "Hit Maker", or, top-40 band. The original Journey lineup was still in the light of a late 60's early 70's rock opera's, or, ..."jam band's" if you will.

I consider guys like Dunbar, Rollie, Valleroy, and Schon, to be pioneer musicians of a whole generation of music that was being lost between the original Hendrix generation, and the still to come EVH generation. There are obviously many other musicians that fall into this same category, but as an example of how I view the importance of their role in musical history, I think they make a perfect example.

Good post!

Hairy :thu:

Kerry

Originally posted by skipclone 1:

I like their version of `It`s All Too Much.`

Interesting version...it's really almost a completely different song. They credit Harrison as the songwriter, but that's about where the similarity ends. It was almost as if they said.."Let's do this old Beatles song, 'It's All Too Much'...but I can't remember it. Didn't it go like this? (other guy) I can't remember it either, I think so. This would sound nice in there" and so on and so forth... :D basically coming up with an entirely new (and a good one at that) tune.

For a version that's much closer to the original, check out Steve Hillage's album "L".

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Tedster:

Originally posted by skipclone 1:

I like their version of `It`s All Too Much.`

Interesting version...it's really almost a completely different song. They credit Harrison as the songwriter, but that's about where the similarity ends. It was almost as if they said.."Let's do this old Beatles song, 'It's All Too Much'...but I can't remember it. Didn't it go like this? (other guy) I can't remember it either, I think so. This would sound nice in there" and so on and so forth... :D basically coming up with an entirely new (and a good one at that) tune.

For a version that's much closer to the original, check out Steve Hillage's album "L".

Yup, I`ve heard that one-great guitar playing at the end. Hillage-now there`a a guy who has gone through a bit of musical transition eh? From rock to ambient to electronica.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

that's not true. He plays more than that

Dude trust me I am not out of touch with the idea that he mixes and matches...

I know he isn't only 2 notes per string, I was merely saying that he isn't a 3 note pentatonic guy like Eric Johnson. Do you know what I mean? He blazes pentatonics in box shapes. If I am wrong please illistrate.

Eric Johnson plays pentatonics very fluidly cuz he is all about the 3 note per string thing. He can blaze major or minor pentatonics like this with ridiculous fluidity.

I would guess Neil can do what he wants, he has been playing twice as long as we have.. Maybe he does too, but based on the recordings and live footage I have seen most of his blazing is done in box shapes.

I think it is amazing, not reducing it, just an observation.

I agree he is what Carlos would be if he practiced ALOT!!!

I am not saying Eric J is better either.

I have no favorite between them actually. I am equally amazed at someone who can go sick with pentatonics in a box shape because picking wise it can be harder. I know he can do what he wants, I am not minimizing him. I just think his coolest solos are when he is blazing pentatonics at some stage in the solo.

Does he employ 3 note per string pentatonics? I mean like a straight minor or major.

I practice these all the time because it is extremely difficult for me with my small hands. I have to expend tons of energy to blaze with these because of my hand size.

Archived