Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wearing a strap while practicing

Hardtail

Excluding the guys who play classical (and possibly steel string acoustics), how many of you wear a strap while practicing (even while sitting)?

I do a majority of my practicing standing up so obviously I'm wearing a strap. But... I also wear it if I'm sitting down too. The guitar doesn't shift on my leg and the neck stays in one spot.

To me, having the guitar solidly anchored is very important if you want good, clean technique.

Sounds like common sense but I'll bet there's guys here doing serious technique practicing (sitting down) and dealing with a shifting guitar.

Fess up. :D

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I never ever ever wear a strap sitting down, I mostly play sitting down also... Its difficult operating 2 foot pedals standing up :D I just prefer sitting really.... I like a shifting guitar, I think its quite the opposite to needing a solidly anchored guitar... I find it easier to get the right feel into each part when I can have the guitar in the most comfertable position for it more easily.

Another reason to wear a strap while sitting down is that you don't hunch over the guitar. When I lean back, the guitar follows. I don't have to lean into the guitar.

For us miserable old socks, the back is a precious thing. :D

To be honest I think it comes from mainly playing acoustic guitars, it just feels much more comfertable for me without it... My back doesnt ache after playing (and ive had a really dodgy back since i was a kid). I usually sit on a stool which corrects my back angle quite a bit. Also with an acoustic instrument you can move the guitar about to get nice harmonic overtones by finger strumming up on the twelth fret and stuff like that.. or occasional percussion on the body (although I cant stand it when muso's do this too much :) ). I dont feel the need to strap it to my person to be able to control it. :D

I tend to stand when playing electric unless I am really tired or my back is sore. I find it hard to reach the upper frets while sitting. I also have a worn out shoulder that hurts when I play certain guitars sitting, it kind of gets torqued to the position where it hurts. I have thought of looking for some kind of tall stool but it isn't all that big an issue yet. Playing my thinline classical (Godin Multiac) I don't have any problems sitting. But I can't really play a full bodied acoustic for very long anymore. I don't think this has affected my style to much as I never tended to strum very much anyway. I do tend to take the strap off if I am sitting, it just gets in the way.

Originally posted by yZeCounsel:

Never practice sitting down.

You breathe better standing up

I agree.

But after hours with the LP, sometimes I have to sit for a spell (or swap out the lighter Strat).

Speaking of breathing, one thing I've been conciously working on is to not "stop breathing" when I get to a tricky part. I run through the part, breathing normally.

It sounds weird I know but when I stop breathing, the body tenses up. When I breathe normally, I'm more relaxed and can get through the part easier.

I guess I kind of got that from doing barbell squats in the gym. If you aren't breathing during those things, you're going to pass out with ton of weight on your shoulders.

I also got it from watching Joe Pass play. The guy is so concentrated yet so relaxed and his playing was flawless.

Originally posted by Hard Tail:

...how many of you wear a strap while practicing...

Wouldn't you like to know, big boy?? ;)

Sometimes. I like the mobility, but often times I practice on Lilly's $25 First Act. It's so small and light I can pick it up and play, a la the pic in the "What do you look like?" thread. You might notice, in that pic, it always has its' strap attached, even when I don't use it. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

If you are planning on performing live or if you are currently in a band, you should practise just like you would if you were playing with the band.

Lots of practising sitting down will put you in the wrong positions and when you go to stand up with the band you might find you cannot pull off certain stuff.

A lot of studio guitarists sit when playing so it is ok for them.

You should also practise while moving around, and trying cool moves etc. I know it sounds stupid and feels even stupider ( new word y'all ) but it is worth it and eventually you will feel comfortable with it. You are going to have to move around on stage. You may as well get used to it and go through the motions of finding your cool moves and discarding the dorky ones, in a more private situation.

So yeah, sling that puppy on!

Originally posted by Fumblyfingers:

You should also practise while moving around, and trying cool moves etc. I know it sounds stupid and feels even stupider ( new word y'all ) but it is worth it and eventually you will feel comfortable with it. You are going to have to move around on stage.

I used to practice my dance steps with the metronome while playing and singing backups.

That is work, man !!

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Originally posted by Hard Tail:

HEY.... I didn't say a STRAP-ON! :D

Neither did I! (But now that you mention it... NO! :eek: )
Yeah, wear your guitar too low and those can seriously get in the way ... er, or so I imagine. :P

Anyway, I wear a strap when I play. I usually practice standing up, but on days like this when a week of bicycling to work has landed me with a pair of brutal leg cramps and such niceties as standing or walking are a bit hard, I still keep the strap on. I wear my guitar high, and when I practice I like it in the same position, more or less.

When I play acoustic I want the back free so it can resonate, and sit down, but I still wear a strap - the truth is I'm a Grade A klutz who could drop a blob of Superglue and don't want my guitar to go flying off my knee.

Here I am, pre-strap adjustment (it was a bit loose):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/noodlesbad/cestmoi.jpg

Squ, ok I gotta ask, I see why you have a link to your band but not why you have a link to a band that is not yours? or is it just a way of having a link to one of your friend's bands? OR did you used to be with Appollo Sunshine or something? I've been meaning to ask for along time but always forget too.

Archived