Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Martino & Scofield play "Sunny"

pauldil

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is so cool! I dig Martino, amazing that he came back from a brain tumor and treatment that erased his memory and he had to completely relearn the guitar.

Stories like his and Django's makes ones own problems seem so insignificant and handleable.

Nice video find!

Man, Pat and John have been MAJOR influences on my jazz playing. The thing is is that Scof's ideas and phrasing are so cool, but HIS TONE NEEDS MAJOR WORK !!!!

Why doesn't somebody buy homedog a good amp ?

You think we could take up a collection?

Originally posted by Fumblyfingers:

Anyone catch the bass lick played on the footpedals in roughly the 8th bar of Scofield's solo, after the applause to Pat?

Yeah, Joey D is incredible with those pedals! I thought they had a bass player when I first heard it.

Paul

'Ol pat Martino is in fine form on that one isn't he? Some beautiful playing there. It was defnitely worth watching just for that. Well except for the bit where he decides to repeat the same lick/riff pattern 3 billion times in a row. :freak:

And I have to agree that Sco's tone is exceptionally bad on this one. :eek:

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Yeah this has always been a problem fo me with some of the guitar players I like when it comes to their distortion tones. Scofield, Abercrombie, McGlaughlin are three that come to mind, awesome chops, for me...challenged distortion tones. Love them all clean though!!

Originally posted by Bejeeber:

'Ol pat Martino is in fine form on that one isn't he? Some beautiful playing there. It was defnitely worth watching just for that. Well except for the bit where he decides to repeat the same lick/riff pattern 3 billion times in a row. :freak:

And I have to agree that Sco's tone is exceptionally bad on this one. :eek:

I liked the way that repetition built tension. It feels soooo good when it resolves!

Sounds like Scofield was aiming for a hornlike tone...

I know he's not to everyone's taste, but I can truly forgive Scofield's tone because his lines & phrasing just sound so good to my ears. And Martino is so dead on in this clip! When they're both playing at the end it's just too cool. Defrancesco is incredible too!!

Paul

this is just GREAT thanks!!

or not, since I'd planned to do some recording this morning, and of course now I'm like "why bother, I'll NEVER be worthy! :( three guitars in the house and you make me think of taking up knitting socks instead ;)

AND I really should seek out all those cassette tapes with Pat Martino on them and put them on CD so I can play them again

too bad the cameraman / producer seems to think the picking hand is the only one worth watching most of the time though

- due to recent cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been SWITCHED OFF

I wish I could listen to it here at my work computer... oh well, that's what Internet cafes are for.

I've been a Martino fan for years and Scofield, well, I've liked him since Miles Davis' Decoy.

It's great when musicians find a groove together and it's a genuine communication onstage, ain't it? I'd rather hear moderately good musicians in that mode, than great players who are on the same stage, but at same time, in different universes...

How's that for a space/time warp fantasy for you SF fans!

Archived