Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar Store Carnage..

Lightningdan

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeouch! :eek: Unsupervised kids will get into everything, and the ironic thing is, had the child been hurt, the family would likely have sued the store! :mad:
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Whoa, that's quite a story to read this early in the A. of M.!

Was that an old, original-vintage "'57 Telecaster", or was it a relatively recently made "RI"-stylee? Just curious, that's too bad either way. And the PRS Custom 22... And all of 'em.

Any chance that any of 'em can be patched back together by a competant luthier? Maybe returned to the floor for a special sale-price? Mmmmnnn... perhaps re-sprayed in, say, red... ?? :D

That is pretty ridiculous, both the kid's actions, and the hasty escape out the parking-lot. Keep us posted on the outcome, willya?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

That's why there are no little Rampdogs around my house and it is further proof why Tigers eat their young. Sorry all...I never did like unsupervised kids and I dislike the parents even more... That's why me and Mrs. Rampdog have never had puppies...

Billy

Unfortunately, the guitar store's insurance will most likely end up paying for them. They will have to take the lady to court. There'll be a lot of drivel about why no one stopped the kid before he got up that high. She'll counter sue because they weren't properly secured, and on and on. She ran because its the "no one is responsible for their actions" generation.

The headmaster at our school says, "We now have a generation of kids being raised by a generation of young parents who have never been held accountable for their actions."

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Originally posted by caprae:

Unfortunately, the guitar store's insurance will most likely end up paying for them. They will have to take the lady to court. There'll be a lot of drivel about why no one stopped the kid before he got up that high. She'll counter sue because they weren't properly secured, and on and on. She ran because its the "no one is responsible for their actions" generation.

The headmaster at our school says, "We now have a generation of kids being raised by a generation of young parents who have never been held accountable for their actions."

Yep! Those parents need to be sent to Parris Island, right brother?

i find it disturbing that some people wished the child was hurt in the process.

this is a sad story, and the mothers actions were not very admirable.

but this is only the surface of what happened.

maybe she was freaked out, watching two young boys can be a very hard job.

maybe "Dad" is a useless piece of crap and leaves her to do everything.

maybe she isn't as evil as it seems.

this could be a typical case of a neglective parent, or it could be more.

do stores have insurance on instruments?

i hate hearing of damaged guitars.

but i am also a parent and i know it can be very taxing on your nerves and attention.

i know it isn't the job of the store workers to babysit, but it is in thier interest to watch out for thier investments.

buddy telling the story had lots of time to sit and watch "stupid parent" and "guitar tech" dicuss.

if that was me, i would have thought.."where did the 5 year old go?"

if we are getting judgemental make sure we include everyone.

kids are great and i love mine, and accidents do happen as well as things that shouldn't.

i wonder what the other side of the story is?

i am not on any paticular side but there is more to every story than meets the eye.

This is a sad story, alright...unfortunately, it sounds like a load of B.S. to me....or at least it's greatly exaggerated.

1. *ALL* of the necks snapped???? Gimme a break. What are the chances? Maybe one or two snapped necks I could buy....5 out of 5? I don't think so.

2. *All* of them had broken/split bodies as well? See above....

3. A 5 year old managed to climb up guitars 10 feet off the floor without anybody noticing until he was already up there? Yeah, right....

If it really happened at all, it was something like a 5 year-old turned over a floor-stand with 4 or 5 guitars on it and one or two were damaged. If it did happen, though...I can easily believe that the woman would make a beeline out the door.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

but i am also a parent and i know it can be very taxing on your nerves and attention.

i know it isn't the job of the store workers to babysit, but it is in thier interest to watch out for thier investments.

buddy telling the story had lots of time to sit and watch "stupid parent" and "guitar tech" dicuss.

kids are great and i love mine, and accidents do happen as well as things that shouldn't.

i am not on any paticular side but there is more to every story than meets the eye.

I have to, sort of, disagree with you. I will mention that none of it is the fault of the kid.

The law says that a parent is responsible for the actions of their child. Why the child is misbehaving, really has no bearing on who should have to pay for the damages.

When I bring my daughter into a store and let her walk around, I keep an eye on her at all times. If she breaks something, it is my responsibility because I wasn't watching her at the time (obviously, or I could have stopped her.)

It is not the responsibility of others to keep an eye on our kids. The mother, running out of the store after the accident, is despicable.

Originally posted by caprae:

don't stop there man.

we have governments, athletes, rich people, and celebrities who ar not responsible for thier actions. :D

Heck...what's so sad about it?

No one was hurt...right?

Personally...I find that whole thing rather amusing...wish I coula' seen that whole rack come down! :D

Yeah, I know...all those beautiful guitars getting damaged...but hey, shit happens...and there are THOUSANDS of guitars being made every day.

Maybe if they were likeone-of-a-kind, collector's items...but they're just guitars.

Anyway...it's a shame there wasnt a video cam going...'cuz I bet it would get a lot of play and a lot of chuckles once you realized that the kid was OK.

I don't blame the kid for NOTHING.

The mother mostly, and the store partially, are responsible...though I bet the mother pays NOTHING...and if the kid had been hurt, she would win a lawsuit against the store.

Musta' made a wonderful C-R-A-S-H! :P

Some of you folks should lighten up a bit...

...no blood, no foul...

...the rest is now just broken wood.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Yeah that is an awful story.

I've taken my kids to guitar center before.

Each time it was either my son or my daughter, they each were about 5 at the time.

I kept them close by my side at all time.

I could see either one of them climbing the wall.

Hell I bet I would've done that at age 5.

I'm sure the store has ins. to cover thier loss. It is sad to lose such fine guitars though.

However, my Kids would be my first concern. I'm glad the tyke was fine.

I see the title of that thread was customers suck, and I'm sure sometimes they do.

However, customers of all stripes keep stores in business.

I think this must be part of the problem at a lot of stores, the employees seem to have not respect for the people that come in needing thier help.

Was that a forum dedicated to store personel that have to deal with SCs (stupid customers)?

Jehzuz Kerist. What a world, what a world.

I like the quote from BB King: There is only one BB King, but I can always replace Lucille.

Originally posted by A String:

I have to, sort of, disagree with you. I will mention that none of it is the fault of the kid.

The law says that a parent is responsible for the actions of their child. Why the child is misbehaving, really has no bearing on who should have to pay for the damages.

When I bring my daughter into a store and let her walk around, I keep an eye on her at all times. If she breaks something, it is my responsibility because I wasn't watching her at the time (obviously, or I could have stopped her.)

It is not the responsibility of others to keep an eye on our kids. The mother, running out of the store after the accident, is despicable.

Astring, your not really disagreeing with me. i am on no paticular side. i agree that parents are responsible for thier children.

i was only trying to point out that we only know one side of the story.

i don't think she should have left. but we don't know her mental state. for all we know she could be suffering from something that made her react the wrong way.

i was bothered by the responses on the original link that wished harm on the child.

as well as the comments of the story teller.

maybe he was "lazy store guy" and the guitar tech was "in your face power seller".

we have no info.

bottom line the child was unhurt and that is good.

Originally posted by Sasquatch51:

This is a sad story, alright...unfortunately, it sounds like a load of B.S. to me....or at least it's greatly exaggerated.

1. *ALL* of the necks snapped???? Gimme a break. What are the chances? Maybe one or two snapped necks I could buy....5 out of 5? I don't think so.

2. *All* of them had broken/split bodies as well? See above....

3. A 5 year old managed to climb up guitars 10 feet off the floor without anybody noticing until he was already up there? Yeah, right....

If it really happened at all, it was something like a 5 year-old turned over a floor-stand with 4 or 5 guitars on it and one or two were damaged. If it did happen, though...I can easily believe that the woman would make a beeline out the door.

First thing i thought when i started reading it :rolleyes:
The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

I'm with Sasquatch51. I wasn't 100% convinced on this story from the moment I read it for all of the reasons he already mentioned. Recall if you will what the writer was doing at the time, while on the clock supposedly "working"; he was sitting on an amplifier. Ah, the great work ethic of this younger generation. I'm not saying he's responsible for watching someone else's kid, I just can't imagine myself literally sitting around on my 3rd day of a new job (no, not even when I was 18)

Bob

but this is only the surface of what happened...

My thoughts, exactly 'Zan.

I'm as upset about those reactions as I am about the mom's alleged reaction to this destruction.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by HardTail:

I see no post on here wishing the child hurt. Either I just don't see it or you guys are grabbing stuff from thin air.

I can't see anything like that here either, but the story is on another forum or something. I can't see it because my office firewall won't let me go there.

Maybe the comments about the kid are over on the other ppl's board?

Hell, I can't see it. You guys tell me.

Maybe I can't read today (highly likely) but I see no post on here wishing the child hurt. Either I just don't see it or you guys are grabbing stuff from thin air.

HT...it's in the thread that the link takes you to....there's a couple of misfits and malcontents in there that said they wished the kid busted his head open, etc....yadayadayada...typical senseless crap that people say in threads like that....obviously people that have never actually seen a child (or anyone, for that matter) with serious head trauma. Take it with a grain of salt....

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Maybe I can't read today (highly likely) but I see no post on here wishing the child hurt. Either I just don't see it or you guys are grabbing stuff from thin air.

I think it came from on of the guys on the other

forum

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Somehow, sadly, this is the age of where parents are no longer responsible for their children's action- case in point- the school shootings that seem to run rampant in the last few years- have any of the parents of the kids involved every been brought up on charges? How can you not be aware that your kids are in the basement, drinking alcohol and planning mass murder and in possession of automatic weapons?

When I was growing up, you'd better believe my dad drilled it into me that anything I did, he was responsible for. And there would be hell to pay if I screwed up.

"Who's gonna teach the children about Chuck Berry?"

When I was a kid, parents were smart enough to know not to leave a 4 year old kid to his own devices in store. I don't know what happened to parents intelligence since then; I know it has been a log time, but I figured an evolutionary change in intelligence would take a lot longer than 49 years...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Hardtail, my first thought after the shock of seeing such stupidity voiced on the other forum was how lucky we are to have a community here that rarely, if ever, acts like the bulk of posters on that forum. I won't be going back there again.

Marvar, while there may actually be reasons to charge some parents whose kids commit such crimes, you're way out of line to think even diligent parents know everything their kids are up to.

There are countless coming-of-age stories that illustrate this point. You should be a diligent parent, but that will not stop a troubled child from finding a way to act out.

This is not to say they don't share culpability in some cases. But please don't try to paint a homogenous picture of parents as either "good", whose kids would never commit such a crime or "bad", who let their kids run rampant and haven't a clue what their kids are up to or, worse, encourage bad behaviour.

These people likely fall across a huge spectrum from completely negligent and guilty of assisting their kids by turning a blind eye to well meaning parents who had no idea what their kids were up to because the kids hid their real motives well.

My parents were mindful of us, and still I got away with plenty. Fortunately I never committed crimes. Had I wanted to, I could've easily planned them from our home without my parents' knowledge.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived