Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Looking for a Les Paul style acoustic guitar.

blackbox99

I know I've seen them. They even had "Gibson" on the headstock. However, all I see on their website are jumbos, dreadnoughts, and archtops.

The one I saw was a black flat-top with a standard sound hole. The body didn't look that wide and the overall size wasn't all that big.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, Reif & Steve, that would be the Les Paul Acoustic. I don't know if they make them anymore. It was a Custom Shop instrument. The list of discontinued models wouldn't include it because they only list Gibson USA, not the Custom Shop. You'd have to call 1-800-4-GIBSON to know for certain. They were very pricey, as Custom Shop instruments generally are.

Hey! Just found http://www.vintageguitar.com/images/gear/74.jpg this article by former MP mod Lisa Sharken from the May, 2002 Vintage Guitar magazine. The retail price was over $5,600, which matches my recollection that they sold for over $3k. :eek:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Hey, Reif & Steve, that would be the Les Paul Acoustic. I don't know if they make them anymore. It was a Custom Shop instrument. The list of discontinued models wouldn't include it because they only list Gibson USA, not the Custom Shop. You'd have to call 1-800-4-GIBSON to know for certain. They were very pricey, as Custom Shop instruments generally are.

Neil, are you talking about that one that basically looks like a single-cut Les Paul, with a carved/arched top, but with a flat-top acoustic style bridge, no soundholes, and no visible pickups?

Or, is it a round sound-holed, flat-topped acoustic, something like Steve describes above?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Oops! Missed that part of his post. :o

Yeah... he's looking for a Chet Atkins CE-C or and SST. The SST had no soundhole, but the early CE-C's did. Also, the Epiphone version had the soundhole. But in all cases they are actually not holes at all.

Even Epi doesn't make them anymore. You'll have to check the used market.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Remember that pricey Les Paul that looked exactly like a Les Paul, carved flamed-maple top and all, except for the missing pickups and the piezo/pin-style bridge like you'd find on most flat-top acoustics?

Originally posted by Steve Dyba:

I know I've seen them. They even had "Gibson" on the headstock.

Yeah, but WHERE did you see them?

What you are describing so far is a standard, single cutaway flattop acoustic with a normal soundhole. And it happens to say "Gibson" on the headstock.

It wasn't some ad on eBay, was it?

Originally posted by Steve Dyba:

It's the Chet Atkins SST. I guess I only thought it had a soundhole. My mistake.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Well, you might have; I'me pretty sure that there were models with fake soundholes, in fact I'm certain enough to bet that there were. :cool:

And I'm also most definitely certain about that Les Paul amplified-acoustic model that I mentioned above, I saved pics of it on my old hard-drive but haven't got that sorted out yet since the fire (heavy smoke and heat damage, needs to have its contents migrated onto another HD and some stuff put on CDRs). I just can't turn up anything on it in any on-line searches, Google or otherwise or even here on this forum where I first saw a thread on it!! :mad::rolleyes:

You're a silly man, K.

Look up above your posts and you'll see pics of the Les Paul acoustic you're describing. :D It was a Custom Shop model in 2001 & 2002. Beyond that I don't know if they continued building them, but they don't build 'em now unless you custom order from scratch. ;)

Here are a few pics of the other models from this line.

The CE-C

http://www.harmony-central.com/Newp/2004/Chet-Studio-CEC-lg.jpg

http://www.rocknrollvintage.com/prodimages/1983%20gibson%20chet%20atkins%20CEC%20nylon%20s.jpg

http://www.jpbourgeois.org/guitar/images/GIBSON%20CHET%20ATKINS%20CEC%201991.jpg

The SST

An early model

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/denispicking/lepicking/materiel/guitares/sst1.jpg

A more typical, "soundhole-less" SST

http://www.gryphonstrings.com/instpix/24331/2433101.jpg

Epiphone made an inexpensive version of the "soundhole-less" SST, too.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Hey, Reif & Steve, that would be the Les Paul Acoustic. http://www.vintageguitar.com/images/gear/74.jpg this article

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

OK, please excuse the dumb questions, but is this picture really an 'accoustic' in the sense that it actually makes hearable sounds without some kind of front hole(s) and a hollow body? Or if it is as it appears, a LP with no electronics, why would they make it, and more importantly why would anyone buy it? I must be missing something!

Paul

WUDAYAKNOW.. For the first time in my life, I'm wrong again!!

D'uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhh, thanks, Neil! :freak::rolleyes::D

I somehow managed to not notice those before; in my defense, at least partially, I can say that it takes longer for images to load here than it does for me to skim up and down a thread's text...

That, or I had been typing away and/or left the keyboard for a bit before posting, and your replies were posted there in the meantime...

Say, I wonder if Dave Wendler's passive, hybrid pickup-system could be fitted to one of those? That'd make one fine axe for a Les Paul lover...

Originally posted by paully:

Hey, Reif & Steve, that would be the Les Paul Acoustic. http://www.vintageguitar.com/images/gear/74.jpg this article

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

OK, please excuse the dumb questions, but is this picture really an 'accoustic' in the sense that it actually makes hearable sounds without some kind of front hole(s) and a hollow body? Or if it is as it appears, a LP with no electronics, why would they make it, and more importantly why would anyone buy it? I must be missing something!

Paul

That's not really an "acoustic" guitar, but instead an instrument that gives an amplified, electric/acoustic sound when plugged-in, like an acoustic with a pickup in its bridge.

:D , K!

And yes, I resemble that comment, Darklava. :freak::D I'm a know-it-all. :rolleyes: But in my defense, I really do know a lot of mostly useless stuff! :D

Paully, the Les Paul Acoustic was never intended to be a true acoustic. It was born out of the same notion as the Chet CE-C, CE, SST and Godin's Multi-tac, etc, all of which are more or less solid or chambered electric guitars with p'ups and bridge design to make them play and sound a bit more like an acoustic. I'm probably not telling you anything new when I say they were created for stage performers looking for an acoustic sound and high gain before feedback that is more difficult to come by with a true acoustic. And if you're going to choke off an acoustic with a rubber feedback buster to accomplish the same thing, why not play a near solid or solid body instrument that's more comfortable. (To some, at least. Not me.)

And besides that, the LP Acoustic lent itself to some of the most gorgeous, unobstructed flamed maple tops ever put on a finished instrument. It gave Gibson an excuse to create a hyperexpensive model they knew would be snapped up by enthusiasts. ;)

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived