Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yngwie Malmsteen Videos

Squ

Hey, thought you guys might be interested in this.

Here's Yngwie's take on the blues....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6402650029650678806&q=yngwie+malmsteen

I wonder how many players like that will be in GC's blues competetion...

And if you're really interested, he is a full set of Yngwie playing:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-654350577874242734&q=yngwie+malmsteen

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by rw2003:

What a great Marshall backline. 5 full stacks each with 2 heads!

And only one or two of'em are probably on at a time, with one head to two cabs...

Silly, really! :thu:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Caevan_O'Shite:

Originally posted by rw2003:

What a great Marshall backline. 5 full stacks each with 2 heads!

And only one or two of'em are probably on at a time, with one head to two cabs...

Silly, really! :thu:

I don't know, man... In Chicago during the G3 concert his set WAS RIDICULOUSLY LOUD!!!!! But that was maybe the PA. Shrilly extra-loud. Yuk! My ears were ringing for like 3 days after that stupid concert.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Originally posted by Squ:

I wonder how many here made it through the whole thing ?

When he started doing the 2nd fret vibrato on the D string in open was when I had had enough.

QUOTE]Originally posted by Squ:

[QBI wonder how many players like that will be in GC's blues competetion... [/QB]

Could you elaborate. Not sure what you're asking.

Originally posted by YzeCounsel:

Originally posted by Squ:

I wonder how many here made it through the whole thing ?

When he started doing the 2nd fret vibrato on the D string in open was when I had had enough.

QUOTE]Originally posted by Squ:

[QBI wonder how many players like that will be in GC's blues competetion...

Could you elaborate. Not sure what you're asking. [/QB]

He is talking about the Guitar Center King of the Blues Competition that is going on now.

[quoteHe used and still uses the DoD preamp dist pedal for a boost. Not that pleasing to the ear

]

Well, I couldn't begin to analyze his tone. I mean some of his recordings sound better than this video.

I use a DOD bifet preamp, not a dist pedal but it works pretty nicely through the loop as a clean boost. I haven't figured it out with this amp yet. It works but it adds a little bit of gain--which isn't all bad.

I wonder how many players like that will be in GC's blues competetion...

The sheer notion of a music competition is ill-conceived IMHO.

That video looks kind of old. His tone sounds like a pedal to me based on this.

That vid is from the early 90s. When filming in-house videos like that, he typically used some Fender head instead of his regular Marshall. The tone on this video also suffered from the transfer to compressed digital format for internet posting.

Is that the 'Blues'? I'm old but not stupid... Maybe, if I stay with it I can play the same turnarounds and hammers and let my hair grow out and I too can sound like that. "A journey of a thousand miles etc. etc. etc." I do have a Strat... I'm almost there. (I wonder if he does any Bonnie Raitte?)

We all love to hate Yngwie.

Well, he's playing over a 12 bar blues riff but I don't really know if he's playing the blues over it... maybe the Swedish Meatball Blues?

Note to self: playing the same pattern over and over and over again on top of a 12 bar blues riff sounds like shit!

Yngwie is Yngwie, you can't take that away from him.

He has always been one of the most controversial guitarists. A few years back my old drummer ran into him at a Lil' Chef restaurant. Yngwie made a scene and said "this place ain't cool man, I'm outta here". In front of everyone in the place. My drummer followed him outside and started to try and start a fight with him (I know that is stupid and immature). Yngwie just went into his van and ignored him.

My drummer is a big guy and loved to try and scare Yngwie who he percieved as a pompous arrogant ass.

Personally, I would have gone up and said hi to him and told him he influenced my playing. I am sure if you talk to Yngwie like a person, he would be cool. I respect him for what he did for rock guitar technique. I mean whether or not you like his music, he did bring something different to the table back in 82' when he came out.

I shit my pants the first time I heard Yngwie. He was so blazing fast and he sounded like he was picking everything.

I get bored listening to that snake charmer shit now. He does nothing for my ears at this age, but he has some useful tools in his arsenal that could help anyone's playing. I learned a few of his key licks and they are really cool ways to play fast patterns. One of them is an ascending lick on the high e string. Pretty good exercise to practice for shredding technique.

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

I get bored listening to that snake charmer shit now.

That's the thing, Yngwie sounds melodic and consistent as long as there is 1 chord every 4 measures or so.

Shred Cats like Gambale, Howe, and Holdsworth can shred over a series of key centers and chord qualities shifting by the measure or 1/2 measure no prob

Did he invent a new genre or something (shred blues). That first video is awful. Made me want to smack him just for doing that. _He_ might call it blues but I call it garbage.

Note to yngwie, playing over 12 bar blues does not make what you're playing 12 bar blues. :freak:

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

and good for him. he obviously had to work hard to get that skill.

Yea, I respect that, its his manic, egotistical attitude that makes me wanna bash one of his signature strats over his head. I dont care how hard he worked or how much skill he has, Id show more respect to a crappy guitar player with a great attitude then I would to Yngwie any day of the week.
YtseJam your Majesty!

That's the thing, Yngwie sounds melodic and consistent as long as there is 1 chord every 4 measures or so.

Shred Cats like Gambale, Howe, and Holdsworth can shred over a series of key centers and chord qualities shifting by the measure or 1/2 measure no prob

True Cap. From hearing you, you can improvise over some intense stuff as well.

I haven't heard Howe since the 80's albums where he had a cool style along with his shredding chops. I saw him at The Ritz here like 15 years ago. He was pretty drunk I think, really didn't play well and his tone was really compressed and buzzy sounding--it was hard to hear him. Of course I wouldn't have gone if I didn't think he was a great player!! I noticed the same thing with Tony Macalpine when I saw him, it was like he had so much preamp distortion on to make the arpeggio sweeps sound smooth, that he got lost in the mix. Happens when you have TONS of distortion. But dude, we know what good powertube distortion is!! My amp sounds AWESOME since I switched to the at7 on the left. Less preampy than before.

Well, if nothing else- you gotta' appreciate that his name always appears as Yngwie J Malmsteen- so that you don't confuse him with all the other Yngwie Malmsteens!
"Who's gonna teach the children about Chuck Berry?"

Archived