Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question for Classic 30 owners

EmptinesOf Youth

hey guys, just wondering:

i read in a user review of the classic 30 that his was too close to a wall or something and not ventilated enough and the heat fried some resistors and capictors in the amp. Mine has about 4-3 inches of clearance from my wall right now, just wondering if this is something i should worry about and has it happened to anyone here?

thanks

ryan

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I kept mine about the same distance as yours for about 2 years and never had any trouble, although I must say that I didn't play it very often. I have since moved it, but for no other reason than to fit another guitar into the mix. I have never heard of that happening personally, but I would err on the side of caution just to be safe.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

Yeah, I love that avatar image; I had almost used the exact same image myself, but instead went with Porco Rosso (a character from an anime film written and directed by the same wonderful Japanese artist that made the film that Ryan's "Zombie Snoopys" are from).

Those are Tree Spirits, curious but harmless little fellas from the anime masterpiece, Princess Mononoke. They can never seem to decide which way their heads are attached, which are their eyes and which are their mouths, rolling them around all the time as they wander about, looking like little bro's of the Pillsbury Dough Boy's that've just rolled a "three" shootin' craps...

As for your amp's clearance of the wall behind it, I would think that four inches or so would suffice while you're playing.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I've had mine close to a wall (maybe 12" or a little more) and no problems.

More importantly, I play mine almost every day, often for hours, and I feel how hot it is after and it is nowhere near "too hot".

I also have a Fender Prosonic, THAT is a "scary hot" amp. That thing feels almost like you are getting burned on the fingers when you go to turn it to standby on the metal switch. I checked and this is "normal".

Still, all tube amps get hot, and for that matter sound-wise it is kinda dumb putting it right up against a wall...if you have neighbors or family members they probably aren't doing cartwheels over that..turning the wall into a sounding board.

And if you think about it...you don't put a lamp right up against a wall (without a shade anyway) so if you touch a 60 watt bulb that's been on a while, it is way hotter than the Classic 30.

====================================================

Check out my original music at

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/jacker

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,

but not in practice."

Archived