Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Two Rock Amps

Tone Taster

Well, I checked out one of the best models at a freind's house for a few hours.

i was most impressed w/the retention of harmonics at low volumes.

The disable EQ feature gives a "boost" to both channels by leaving it "wide open".

Out of the 2 channels, the clean channel is definitely the most majical clean anyone could ever hear. I was able to get a G & L ASAT TELE w/ single coils to nearly get the Jazz fatness, while also being able to get the clean country or funk "spank". Very chimey and deep but not brittle like boogies and fenders.

The gain channel is just too "nice" for my tastes, tough.

The gain is certainly the warmest, full, harmonically rich, no doubt even at low volumes.

The problem is it just don't have that edge and punch like a 50 W Plexi. It seems to be "too smooth" for the way that I like to play.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by MILLO:

so, kinda like Fuchs, eh?

Haven't heard the fuchs, but his stuff is circuit board.

I would bet my last dollar the clean tone out of the fuchs couldn't come close as the Two-Rock's clean is the best I've heard.

If you like smooth gain, the Two Rock is what the boogie wished for but never had

I've mentioned them before, but for the big dollar tone, Areosmith and a few other big names are dragging around "Divided By 13" amps. I heard some absurd figures though, like $5k (for the head) and an 8 month wait or somesuch.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Originally posted by MILLO:

Caputo, what model was it? They sure are expensive!

It was the Custom Sig. Definitely one of their best.

Another criticism is that the semi-dirty tweaking is not as impressive either. I mean it sounds incredible, but not as good as the clean tone or as good as the "smooth gain" you can evoke. It doesn't seem like you can get that Stevie Ray type overdriven tone

You can still get that crunch out of it. But while it is still quite well defined and complex, it still seems "too nice".

I hear ya guys complaining about amps being 5 bills, but you don't hear pro violinists or grand pianists moanin' about their 5,000 FRN bow or 10,000 FRN (BABY) grand.

" but you don't hear pro violinists or grand pianists moanin' about their 5,000 FRN bow or 10,000 FRN (BABY) grand."

Iknow that this is REALLY not your point, but I do a lot of work with the symphony, and , Yes, they DO!

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Originally posted by Bill@Welcome Home Studios:

Iknow that this is REALLY not your point, but I do a lot of work with the symphony, and , Yes, they DO!

Bill

Point well taken. I'm sure that they do complain, but that's just the way it is although it is not the way it's supposda

What is sort of funny, is that we'll have 37 $50 fuzz boxes, but we won't pay $250 for a single top of the line fuzz box.

Bill

Steve Martin

What is sort of funny, is that we'll have 37 $50 fuzz boxes, but we won't pay $250 for a single top of the line fuzz box.

Bill

hahaha... yup.

I try to go by what the budget allows, which is not much, and try not to be 'cheap', but can't help it :(:D ! I have a 2004 Fulltone FD-2 and George Dennis King Bee for the buzzier stuff. Both bought used--in the case of the GD, it was less than 1/3 of the US market price. I bought also their volume pedal, completely new, for less than 1/2 the market price. I have a Hermida Zendrive on order, which I hope will become a regular on my pedalboard (when I actually get a pedalboard, ha! :P ).

But I know these guys that have a thousand crappy pedals--all bought new--, and won't even consider getting a quality one that would almost render the rest useless.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

"I try to go by what the budget allows,..."

But the truth is that we have become an 'instant gratification' society. It has nothing to do with what the budget can afford, and more about "I Want It NOW!!!!!!"

When I saved up for the THD, I really could not imagine spending that mush money on an amp, though I had many times that invested into my collection of ampS.

Now that I have the THD, I can see that I have just touched the tip of the iceberg in the better sound of boutique amps. I may or may never buy a Two Rocks or Divided By 13 or Dr Z, but I know that I am not searching for that perfect sound anymore

Two things happened to me... First, I left the studio, and second, I got the THD. These two things allowed me to sell of the majority of the amps from the Wall O' Amps. I don't need the collection of actual vintage amps to achive the various vintage sounds for anyone else, and I can get the sounds that I want from the amps that I have. I have a handful of amps to get rid of now, I don't plan to keep anything except the THD and the Goblin.

But it is a falicy to say that the cost of any itemn is absurd. I may not want to pay that price. I may be staggered by the price. But the fact that the product can exist at that price point proves that someone is getting value from it at that price.

I've found this to be true across the board in my life, with guitars, amps, mics, studio monitors, microphone preamps.... is there a difference between a Cavalier and a Testarossa? Of course there is. But both get you down the road, if that is your only goal.

Bill

Steve Martin

"I try to go by what the budget allows,..."

But the truth is that we have become an 'instant gratification' society. It has nothing to do with what the budget can afford, and more about "I Want It NOW!!!!!!"

When I saved up for the THD, I really could not imagine spending that mush money on an amp, though I had many times that invested into my collection of ampS.

Now that I have the THD, I can see that I have just touched the tip of the iceberg in the better sound of boutique amps. I may or may never buy a Two Rocks or Divided By 13 or Dr Z, but I know that I am not searching for that perfect sound anymore

Two things happened to me... First, I left the studio, and second, I got the THD. These two things allowed me to sell of the majority of the amps from the Wall O' Amps. I don't need the collection of actual vintage amps to achive the various vintage sounds for anyone else, and I can get the sounds that I want from the amps that I have. I have a handful of amps to get rid of now, I don't plan to keep anything except the THD and the Goblin.

But it is a falicy to say that the cost of any itemn is absurd. I may not want to pay that price. I may be staggered by the price. But the fact that the product can exist at that price point proves that someone is getting value from it at that price.

I've found this to be true across the board in my life, with guitars, amps, mics, studio monitors, microphone preamps.... is there a difference between a Cavalier and a Testarossa? Of course there is. But both get you down the road, if that is your only goal.

Bill

Bill, please list those amps! or just PM me if you don't want to post it. Thanks

Most of the really valuable ones are gone, but for the 1952 Fender Champion 600 that an ebay buyer skated on; and a mid-1940s Silvertone (class A/B) with the treble clef flocked in the grillecloth. I've got one of those Gibson/Trace Elliots (at least, that's what I have been told); an old Bogen tube PA amp (looks about the size of an AX84 project piece) which I have never gotten properly sorted out. I've still got a Roland Cube30, a G&K bass amp, a Vox Brian May (fun little amp)... I don't know, I'm sure that there are a couple that I have forgotten about.

I'll probably dumo some of the guitars too, but that is harder to do. I sold my ES 125, and it broke my heart, though ti went to a good home to someone who is going to use it, rather than let it rot in the case, as I was doing.

Bill

Steve Martin

Archived