Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dave Mathews, What a Knucklehead!

Dr. Ellwood

Ellwood and Skip Clone:

Different planets (Japan/Chicago), same world (Music Business).

It does seem you would have to work harder and make lots of sacrifices and compromises to get original music noticed.

It does seem that you would get more experienced (and have better instincts because of it) and more gigs playing tried and true material.

It's definately a tough business from either end. I admire Ellwoods openness to playing original music by local writers.

This is a very interesting thread, I like the left turn it made after starting out with DMB.

This is why I think this is a good forum.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It does seem you would have to work harder and make lots of sacrifices and compromises to get original music noticed
We mix a few covers with our originals but it's

not work at all and no sacrifices because the places we play want to hear something fresh

not the same ol covers,,,give 3 steps just don't fly around here.The only sacrifices we make

is when we have to take the time to learn covers

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Well by and large, if you want to make some of your investment in gear, etc back the way to do that is to play covers-that`s true anywhere. There are clubs that welcome originals but they don`t necessarily pay well if at all. The viewpoint I`ve mostly run across is, guys who play covers (hopefully not the same old crap) may not always like the music they play but consider themselves the real professionals. They turn over more gear so gear makers listen to their needs. They can handle more requests, ergo more crowds so they have the ear of more club owners.

About the serendipity effect of some of these threads, I`m seriously wondering how in danger it is of being snuffed out by the content cops, no offense to anyone but by far the biggest debate on this forum recently has been about-debates on this forum.

BTW, writers and gigging musicians-talk about different planets... :rolleyes:

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

The viewpoint I`ve mostly run across is, guys who play covers (hopefully not the same old crap) may not always like the music they play but consider themselves the real professionals. They turn
In the words of RMN "let me make this perfectly clear" I respect all musicians ones that play covers or originals we all have to work at our craft. :thu:But I don't know of too many bands

that got signed playing covers,and there are places to play here like the machine shop were

you won't get through the door unless your and

a original act.BTW I think at one time we all played in a cover band at least thats how I started out doing it.

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Originally posted by Darklava:

The viewpoint I`ve mostly run across is, guys who play covers (hopefully not the same old crap) may not always like the music they play but consider themselves the real professionals. They turn
In the words of RMN "let me make this perfectly clear" I respect all musicians ones that play covers or originals we all have to work at our craft. :thu:But I don't know of too many bands

that got signed playing covers,and there are places to play here like the machine shop were

a original act.BTW I think at one time we all played in a cover band at least thats how I started out doing it.

The Machine Shop, what kinds of original acts play there? mostly Metal or Punk Metal? I wonder how much they pay? do you know?

It does seem you would have to work harder and make lots of sacrifices and compromises to get original music noticed
We mix a few covers with our originals but it's

not work at all and no sacrifices because the places we play want to hear something fresh

not the same ol covers,,,give 3 steps just don't fly around here.The only sacrifices we make

is when we have to take the time to learn covers

It's hard to believe a cover band playing in the Flint area couldn't play Gimmie 3 steps or any other Skynard cover and have an audience like it and have fun? :wave:

>

Dont just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search!

http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/

Originally posted by bbqbob:

I like "Under the Table and Dreaming" but his other stuff doesn't do much for me. Saw him several years ago at Foxboro (Took my daughter and her friend!) I thought he was good but I much preferred his opening act: Santana!

I agree that album is great. I thought that they were kinda flat live.

Carter is in a great spot. DMB leaves so many holes for him to fill that he can really go off.

Originally posted by ellwood:

The Machine Shop, what kinds of original acts play there? mostly Metal or Punk Metal? I wonder how much they pay? do you know?
Not much but if your good you can open for signed acts.It all depends on what your goals are Ellwood

no doubt you make some big cash for what you do

and thats great that means more gear wich always

good but I've done the cover thing for years

and got tired of it.The band I play in now we're

more of a jam band a little cash is good but being

able to be creative out ways the money to me.

Ok I see, I was just wondering? Yes it's tons of fun to jam and just enjoy yourself and be creative. Flint is a market I have never been involved in, well except for along time ago the band I was in at the time opened up for Mitch Rider and Illusion at some Armory or something like that a really big open room I remember.

Archived