Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dave Mathews, What a Knucklehead!

Dr. Ellwood

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow. I really dig Dave Mathews. But I find that they overplay outrageously live. One of the few real bands (meaning bands that can actually play)who play better on record. They get too enthusiastic live, and there is no control or tension. On record, they have a much better sound.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I liked some of the music, but couldn't get past his voice. Lately, I've been thinking about this point again, when I realized, if I don't like his vocals, why do I like Peter Gabriel's? They're pretty similar, although DM gets a bit... weirder? sounding than PG.

Some of the music isn't inspiring to me, either. But I do see talent there, both in DM's guitar playing and in the rest of the band. Still hasn't moved me enough to buy anything of theirs.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I think that if you like Yes, you'll probably like Dave Mathews songs like "Tripping Billys". The drumming really makes it for me, and that is probably what bothers me most about their live shows... okay, no surprise when some players get a little out of hand, but the drummer? Nah. Neil Pert is a great example.... his drumming is far from sedate, but he keeps the tension live just as he does on record. Dave Mathews drummer is so good, and very busy. Live? Just a little too busy. Like I said above, missing the tension.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

I like Dave Matthews. I'm not a super fan of the whole band or all his music. But I think he is a good guitarist in that he can play really good while he is singing. That impresses me. I think the violin player does some interesting stuff on the studio work. Never been tempted to see him live. If I ever drag my arse to a concert it would be for someone interesting like Lenny Kravitz, Foo Fighters, Rolling Stones (in the 70s).

Originally posted by Tedster:

this guy fucking rAwKs:

http://www.drummerworld.com/pics/drum7/carterbeaufordAA.jpg

He is also one of the nicest guys you'd ever wan to meet. Really a sweetheart.

Bill

Steve Martin

I think one of the things that I really dig about Carter Beauford is not only is he a phenomenal drummer, but, he just looks like he's having such an incredible amount of unbridled fun up there playing. His enthusiasm is infectious. Yeah, I'd like to meet him someday.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I don't dislike Dave Matthews' music, either. It's like anything else, some of his stuff I like, some I don't.

As for the infamous shit incident...yeah, that was in unbelievably poor taste, but who or what was responsible? A person on the bus? A malfunctioning valve?

Ellwood, were you in that unfortunate boat? :eek:

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Pappadopalus:

Bill:

Dave is the target. He's the one that dumped a bus load of sh*t from his tour bus in Chicago.

Nobody that has ever BEEN on a tour bus believes the story as told in the popular press at the time. That is not a pro or negative Dave story, that is just a fact. It is not Daves bus, it is leased, with driver. Dave would have no reason to be concerned with anything like this in terms of bus maintenance. Not his problem. It must have been a really slow news day. But he sure took a hit on it.

Bill

Steve Martin

I think TDMB is one of the best most talented bands in current popular music period. I don't know how anyone can hear/see the musical excellence that oozzes out of those guys and get heart burn! Are you kidding?

I'm not jumpin ya or anything ... but man when a great kickin band like DM gets a thumbs down here thats extremely surprising to me.

Mix of Rock, Metal & Heavy Fusion

http://www.visualcliff.net

My new band...Melodic Hard Rock

http://www.fallofechoes.com

Personally I liked his band off the bat when I first heard them. They seemed a welcome relief from much on the pop scene; quirky rhythms, sharp lyrics (from what I could catch) & he definitely has some skills as guitarist who can not just play but play something at rhythmic odds with what he's singing.

Still, over time I came to feel a bit like Danzilla

Originally posted by Danzilla:

I liked some of the music, but couldn't get past his voice...

I get tired of that husky, whisper delivery he seems to always use.

[same thing with John Mayer, FWIW, really skilled at the combined singing & playing thing & a generally respectable musician but please, Man, vary your delivery!]

I do really like that tune "Bartender" (or whatever it's called). Nice ballad without being too weepy.

Out side artists/bands that are truly one diminsional, though, I can't think of many people that don't have a mix off good/bad material.

Even my favorites have some duds in their catalog.

Can't say I'm familiar with much of his catalog other than what gets played on 96.3FM (the 80s, 90s and "today" station) in Detroit every so often. Obviously, I've heard "Crash", so based on that I can make an assumption as to why Lee wouldn't like the material so much. All of the guitar work is pretty subtle, but it's a generation (at least) past the adrenoline-pumping screaming guitar solos of classic rock! (Am I right?)

The guitars are still doing more than just straight 8th-note strumming on open chords. That's where the "excitement" lies, in terms of just guitar. The movement and motion created by the rhythm parts. The emphasis, though, is on the lyrics/singing and the overall song. (Shoot, I bet they didn't even have a bass or drum solo all night long, and we know how everyone looks forward to those with anticipation! ;) )

If you don't like the voice or what he's saying, then yeah, I guess you wouldn't like the band.

I have a harder time listening to Madonna or Britney or whatever. No matter how good the lyrics and/or vocals may be ( :freak: ), I can't get past the vapid accompaniment.

Go ahead and laugh, but I get the newer bands mixed up a bit. :o Originally I thought Lee was talking about Rob Thomas with Matchbox 20. IMO, that would have been a better concert. (Especially if Santana made an appearance, "Smooth" or not.)

Yeah I really can't stand Dave M. His voice sounds like he gargles with eggsalad before he sings. I hate the songwriting style too. I have a sweet impression of DM, I have been told it is pretty funny and I swear I sound just like him. As a guitarist he isn't bad, I just can't get past the songs or his voice.

My old drummer used to like his drummer alot, but after listening to him, though he is probably INCREDIBLE, he just doesn't do anything for me.

I like DMB, but i do feel that some of the songs tend to be, how do I put it, too centered around the riff? But they do have several good songs... #41 is one of my favourites. I dig his acoustic guitar playing too. Check out the live at luther college album if you want to hear more acoustic stuff.

Pier.

* Godin Freeway Classic * Seagull M6 * Timothy S10J

Archived