Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Evolver questions

Dan South

The "dinner" thread has me thinking about the Evolver. and this just might be the right forum for a few questions.

;)

(1) My understanding is that each Evolver voice - be it the mono voice on the tabletop unit or one of four in the rack or the keyboard - contains two analog oscillators and two "digital" (i.e. virtual) oscilators that can all sound simultaneously. Can they all be routed through the same filter? Can some of them bypass the filter? Is more than one filter (e.g. LP and BP) available at any given time?

(2) Can the four voices in the rack or keyboard be set easily to a single patch through a single filter for emulation of a 4-voice Prophet 5 or Prophet VS type patch?

(3) Is a computer based programming tool available for the rack? That interface scares me. :eek:

(4) How do the knobs on the keyboard respond? Do parameters jump to the knob's value, or does the parameter change only when the knob catches up with the current value for that parameter?

(5) I like the basic sound of the oscillators, but there's some distortion in the online examples that rubs me the wrong way. It is possible to use the step sequencer and other features without driving the unit into grating, distorted sounds? I think that an analog synth should have the capacity to sound rich and warm in addition to sounding rude and abrasive.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dan South:

The "dinner" thread has me thinking about the Evolver. and this just might be the right forum for a few questions.

;)

:wave::D

(1) My understanding is that each Evolver voice - be it the mono voice on the tabletop unit or one of four in the rack or the keyboard - contains two analog oscillators and two "digital" (i.e. virtual) oscilators that can all sound simultaneously.

The digital oscillators are not virtual. They use very short single cycle samples (digital waveshapes) - specifically the ones from the Prophet VS - instead of analog waveforms...but yes, they can all sound simultaneously.

Also, like the Prophet VS, you can take a short (128 sample) custom .WAV file, and send it to a user wavetable location via a sysex message. Look here ... :cool:

Can they all be routed through the same filter?
Yes.

Can some of them bypass the filter?
Not in Program mode. However, in Combo mode, you can use the same basic program with a different filter setting (saved as a different program, of course) for each voice, so you could basically bypass the filter for an individual voice if you really want to.

It should also be noted that there are individual stereo outs for each voice as well as the main audio outs on the back of the Poly rack and Poly KB.

Is more than one filter (e.g. LP and BP) available at any given time?
Yes. Each voice has both a lowpass (analog, switchable between 2 and 4 pole mode) and highpass (digital) filter.

The filters are actually stereo - there is one for the left side and one for the right, and they normally track together; however, the lowpass (Curtis) filter has a parameter called L/R Split that allows you to separate the cutoff of the left and right filter by simultaneously raising the left and lowering the right.

(2) Can the four voices in the rack or keyboard be set easily to a single patch through a single filter for emulation of a 4-voice Prophet 5 or Prophet VS type patch?
Yes - that is the default state of the instrument in program mode.

Conversely, each voice (or any combination of voices) can have it's own single patch/filter settings in Combo mode.

(3) Is a computer based programming tool available for the rack?
Yes. It actually is included with the rack.

(4) How do the knobs on the keyboard respond? Do parameters jump to the knob's value, or does the parameter change only when the knob catches up with the current value for that parameter?
The former.

(5) I like the basic sound of the oscillators, but there's some distortion in the online examples that rubs me the wrong way. It is possible to use the step sequencer and other features without driving the unit into grating, distorted sounds?
Definitely. There are several ways to warp/distort the sounds, but none of them have to be used. There are many, many programs in the Evolver that are warm, rich and smooth.

If you'd like, the manual is available for downloading here .

dB

DSI

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Originally posted by Bluescreen:

I can't comment much concerning soft warm sounds because I tend to make the rude ones, but I can state that it looks rich and feels warm:

New beauty

:thu:

Great photos!!!

I'm totally drooling now...

Nice Pics guys. I guess this means the Poly Evolver KB is finally shipping?

Hey Dave Bryce, when's the last time I mentioned that you can be a real dog sometimes? :D

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Originally posted by MikeT156:

Nice Pics guys. I guess this means the Poly Evolver KB is finally shipping?

Some went out last week, yes...a whole bunch more are going out next week.

Hey Dave Bryce, when's the last time I mentioned that you can be a real dog sometimes? :D
Woof... ;)

Hey, c'mon - how often do I post pix of my toys?

dB

Dave:

I guess I should ask a more logical question rather than display my level of jealousy. I understand some of the original factory patches from your serial# 1 PEK have been changed to add some "warm" B&B sounds to units shipping. Has there been any "other" changes from the original KB that you have? Such as the OS or anything worth mentioning?

Thanks,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

That's a beautiful instrument. I don't want to put Dave on the spot, and have him choose between his favorite synths... but the rest of you, especially those of you have an evolver and an A6. Can I hazard a comment and have you respond? Clearly the A6 has a tremendous range but considering the base quality of simple patches ...

Just listening to this synth, it sounds more german sounding AND more american sounding than most. Including the Andromeda. The envelopes can sound tight, clipped and german. But the timbres are very open, and the filter has a warmth that is very american (sequential circuits actually) and broad. Do these observations sound correct?

Cheers,

Jerry

Dan, my synth experience is of course wan and pale compared to Bryce et al, but I think Evolver has plenty of traditional analog warmth. While UI've only ROMpleras, VAs, and softsynths to compare, the Evo analog oscs outshine them all for basic, rubbery fluid sound quality--there's a solidity to the oscs that I don't get from anything else in my rig.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

For $500 you can always pick up a mono unit and see if you like it. Or Dan, you can run down to your favorite store and try out one in person. You know the one I am talking about. The big SA. Common Dan, admit it. You look for excuses to go to that store. :)

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I understand some of the original factory patches from your serial# 1 PEK have been changed to add some "warm" B&B sounds to units shipping.

Actually, they've been changed from the rack, not from the PEK. Until last week, there was no factory set for the PEK... :idea:;)

Has there been any "other" changes from the original KB that you have? Such as the OS or anything worth mentioning?
One again, it's against the rack, not the PEK...my KB's current OS is the same as the shipping versions (software updates are a beautiful thing).

...and yes, there have been a few changes. Several of us asked Dave to add a Mono mode and two Unison modes (slightly detuned, and...ummm...shall we say more-than-slightly detuned :evil::D ), which he did. We also added the ability to program the sequencer from the keyboard. The ability to solo individual oscillators, LFOs and sequencer rows was also added. Besides that, it's pretty much the exact same unit as the rack.

There will definitely be a software update for the rack that will add these features...it'll be necessary for Poly Chain mode, and to allow current rack owners to load the new set of patches, if they want to.

Originally posted by Tusker:

I don't want to put Dave on the spot, and have him choose between his favorite synths...

It's not a question of choosing - they're different instruments. Which is better, a Les Paul or a Strat? Answer - it depends on your taste and application.

If I had to say what the number one advantage of each is over the other, I think my answer would be pretty obvious - Andy has sixteen voices as opposed to the PEK's four; however, by virtue of the addition of the two Prophet VS oscillators to the two analog Curtis oscillators, the PEK can make sounds that no other analog synth (that I've ever come across anyway) can make.

The envelopes can sound tight, clipped and german.
Yes, they can. But they don't have to, if you don't want.

But the timbres are very open, and the filter has a warmth that is very american (sequential circuits actually) and broad. Do these observations sound correct?
FWIW, they do to me. With proper use of the distortion, I've actually found I can get the PEK to sound very Moog-like. Among other things, I wrote (what I think is) a spot-on Jan Hammer MiniMoog lead sound that I'm very pleased with (lives in Bank 1, program 24). I also did a Gary Numan Cars Moog bass sound (bank 1, program 3) that I'm real pleased with. :thu:

Originally posted by Rabid:

That is a nice picture DB, but why did you not include your origional table top unit and show off the full set?

Two reasons:

1) That picture isn't posed - that's the way the KB and rack sit in my studio, since I run them chained in 8 voice mode. The Evo lives on the other side of the studio normally; however...

2) Right now, my Evo is on it's way to brother Pim in the Netherlands. I'm lending it to him for a while so he can play with it.

dB

DSI

I look for excuses to AVOID "the big SA." Plus, I have it on good authority that they ain't got one, anyway.

But there are other stores in town...

WOW!!!

W-I-D-E P-A-G-E A-L-E-R-T ==================================================>

:D

W-I-D-E P-A-G-E A-L-E-R-T

My bad - I don't think I have an app that'll let me shrink those photos, and it didn't show up as such on my Mac. However, I see it now on the PC I use at work. Sorry, guys... :o

I'll check and see if I have an app that'll let me downsize them when I get home...

dB

How much does the Evo keyboard weigh? It looks to be a bit smaller than the A6. Then again, the Voyager is smaller than the A6, but it's one DENSE little monster.

According to Dave on this thread :

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:38.5" x 14" x 4" (the 4" measurement tapers to 1.75" towards the front, as the KB is wedge shaped).

The weight is around 25 lbs, I believe - maybe a bit less.

Cheers,

SG

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

... My bad - I don't think I have an app that'll let me shrink those photos, and it didn't show up as such on my Mac. However, I see it now on the PC I use at work. Sorry, guys... :o

I'll check and see if I have an app that'll let me downsize them when I get home...

dB

If you had a REAL computer at home that runs WinXP then you could use the included program to resize the photo. Microsoft Photo Editor. ;)

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by Rabid:

If you had a REAL computer at home that runs WinXP then you could use the included program to resize the photo. Microsoft Photo Editor. ;)

Uh-huh... :rolleyes:

As you can see, I managed to downsize the photos juuuuuust fine. :)

I'll stick with my little toy computer that comes with (among other things) pretty much the whole suite of Logic soft synths. :D:P

dB

You can always post your photos on www.photobucket.com, that way you have a URL to link to various sites that want a website to post pictures from. It allows you to reduce your photo when copying it to another site to 75 , 50, and 25% of the original. It makes linking things a lot easier and less time consuming. The picture of my Arp Odessey I started using for my Avatar on this site is 25% the size of the original and that's where I have it sitting, photobucket, and its FREE.

Mike T.

You can always post your photos on www.photobucket.com, that way you have a URL to link to various sites that want a website to post pictures from. It allows you to reduce your photo when copying it to another site to 75 , 50, and 25% of the original. It makes linking things a lot easier and less time consuming. The picture of my Arp Odessey I started using for my Avatar on this site is 25% the size of the original and that's where I have it sitting, photobucket, and its FREE.

If you're talking to me, brother Mike - my photos are hosted on Photobucket, and that is actually how I downsized them. :thu:

Thanks for the tip anyway - I'm sure it'll be useful to others! :cool:

dB

Originally posted by tarkus:

Ok - Given that the Price of the PolyEvolver is competitive with all the wonderful new VA's and Real A's (approx - $2400), should I consider the poly before all others?

Well, I think so, but I'm hardly impartial. :D

In all seriousness, it's a matter of taste. Go check one out. If you like it, take it home.

As far as other current polyphonic RAs, I'm not really aware of very many. PEK & Andromeda are the only ones with keys that come to mind...

dB

DSI

Archived