Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord Stage 3 compact

Looking for some opinions on the 73 semi-weighted keybed of the Nord Stage 3 compact. I realize it's not the same as piano action, but how does it feel when playing piano parts? I am by no means a professional piano player, so it's not critical to me but want to get your feedback.

Also, are there any other major differences between the 73 compact and the 76HP version of Stage 3?

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kronos 88, Korg CX-3, Motion Sound KBR-3D

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had both the 73-key NS3C semi-weighted and the NS2 76 weighted.

I abandoned the idea of playing decent piano parts on non-weighted keys a long time ago. I have learned how to do it in the past out of necessity, but it messes up my real piano playing. Others don't have this problem.

The NS2 76 hung in there longer with piano parts, but I ultimately grew dissatisfied with the spongey aftertouch strip, which affected key bounce, which made certain rock and roll styles more difficult. I read somewhere that they have since substituted a firmer foam, but once bitten, ....

For me, any decent amount of piano work requires something that's trying to be a piano and little else. My current fave is a NP4 which drives the NS3C, which has turned out to be the perfect rig for what I do, e.g. a few different local band, jam sessions, fill ins, etc. Of course, any weighted controller whose feel you like could work. They also fixed a velocity curve issue recently that was annoying a lot of people (not me).

EDIT: the only significant difference between the two (other than size, keybed, weight, etc.) is that the NS3C has drawbar sliders, the NS3 HP76 uses button controls. If you play the drawbars (I do) this matters.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Looking for some opinions on the 73 semi-weighted keybed of the Nord Stage 3 compact. I realize it's not the same as piano action, but how does it feel when playing piano parts? I am by no means a professional piano player, so it's not critical to me but want to get your feedback.

It's subjective, and nobody else is going to be able to predict how you'll feel about it. Personally, I'd rate it in the middle, as non-hammer actions go. It's better than some , but not as good as some others. It seems to respond better than the earlier Nord Stage 2 (even though it's technically the same action). I'd say it's better for piano than any of the current Korg models with semi-weighted actions (though I haven't played the Kronos LS, Nautilus, or PA4X), better than the current Rolands except probably the Fantom, better than the MODX. Not as good as the Kurzweil PC4-7, Vox Continental, or Hammond SK Pro.

Also, are there any other major differences between the 73 compact and the 76HP version of Stage 3?
The Compact has drawbars, the HP has button controlled LED strips.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

As has been said many times - you"re going to have to play to know if it will work for you or not. It sounds like you already realize it"s not going to feel piano-like. And you"re right, it"s not. But what is the trade off for a board that is this light and does a pretty good job sounding like pianos, electric pianos, a B3, synth and a myriad of other things? Only you can answer that. I haven"t picked one up to replace other instruments myself because at it"s price point I can"t get past it not having an action I love for piano - which I play most of the time. But as a second board above a stage piano - maybe someday. Who knows.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

FWIW, here are my impressions and experience. I'm playing pop music, not classical or jazz. For me, due to the higher key resistance on the NS3C, it depends upon the forearm angle. If my forearms are slightly angled downward toward the hands (easier to apply more pressure), I can adjust my touch/velocity to able to focus on what I'm playing, not the keybed. So, the NS3C works as an only (or bottom) board when standing. However, if I use it as a top board where I reach up, or in a sitting position where my forearms are parallel to the floor (like sitting at a real piano), I'm constantly aware that I'm playing piano on a non-hammer action and don't feel I'm able to coax as much expression out of it.

As for differences between the Compact and HP76, in addition to the aforementioned drawbars themselves, the Compact can add the half-moon switch and has "Live" drawbar mode. Physical differences are as follows:

DIMENSIONS

Nord Stage 3 HP76: 1122 mm (44"), 127 mm (5"), 347 mm (13,6")

Nord Stage 3 Compact: 1070 mm (42"), 104 mm (4"), 302 mm (12")

WEIGHT

Nord Stage 3 HP76: 12,5 kg (27.5 lb)

Nord Stage 3 Compact: 10 kg (22 lb)

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K

I play it every week and don't like it for piano, it does the job but nothing more.

Still, I'd take the Compact over the HP76 because organ on weighted sucks more than piano on semi-weighted, and the HP76 is not worth the extra $600 and 5.5 lbs, imo.

Or I'd get the Electro 6D 73, and save even more $$$.

I have similar experience as the other posters, but I"d also consider your music and playing style. For example, I find it hard to precisely control velocity on the NS3C in slow stuff like ballads. Uptempo funky jam band stuff, no problem. The unweighted action is nevertheless a good compromise for an all in one board. The NS3C is also very light and ⦠uhm compact. For years I"ve just brought an electro to rehearsals (3 piece band git-dr-keys). However, if 'piano" is important in your music I"d serious consider a NP5-73. I would not recommend the NS3-76. I returned one because the action gave me sore hands.

I'll tell you what, as a longtime Electro 4D owner, the Stage 3 Compact seems like the ultimate flexible lightweight rig rounder-outer/cover-all-bases board, and I would absolutely love to have one in my collection. Playing acoustic piano on an organ keybed is never ideal but if it means I only have to haul one board up the stairs to the shitty tiny club or rehearsal space to get by, I'll suffer through playing my blues and honky-tonk licks with zero resistance, especially if it means I also have Wurlis and clavs and synths and Mellotron, oh my. [Edit: I feel very differently about playing piano in a band context on a keyboard that's too light than I do about playing organ on a board that's too heavy. I won't bother playing anything that vaguely sounds like a Hammond on a weighted action unless it's, like, for a joke,]

Only trouble is that price tag. YEESH.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

I"d also consider your music and playing style. For example, I find it hard to precisely control velocity on the NS3C in slow stuff like ballads. Uptempo funky jam band stuff, no problem

Yes. If your piano playing is banging away Jerry Lee Lewis style, where your dynamic range is basically between f and fff, playing piano on the Compact is less of an issue than if you need to play something with more finesse.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Playing acoustic piano on an organ keybed is never ideal but if it means I only have to haul one board up the stairs to the shitty tiny club or rehearsal space to get by, I'll suffer through playing my blues and honky-tonk licks with zero resistance, especially if it means I also have Wurlis and clavs and synths and Mellotron, oh my. [Edit: I feel very differently about playing piano in a band context on a keyboard that's too light than I do about playing organ on a board that's too heavy. I won't bother playing anything that vaguely sounds like a Hammond on a weighted action unless it's, like, for a joke,]

Only trouble is that price tag. YEESH.

What SBL said. All of it.

A single board for piano AND organ will always be a compromise If you can afford a Stage 3, you get a lot of goodness and versatility in exchange for that compromise.

Am I correct in assuming that you want a non-hammer action board for both piano and organ? Piano/organ boards with non-hammer actions that might feel better for piano include: Vox Konti, Numa Compact 2X, Kurzweil PC4-7.

If I'm wrong (you're looking for low weight), then Yamaha YC73 might be worth considering?

Cheers, Mike.

Still, I'd take the Compact over the HP76 because organ on weighted sucks more than piano on semi-weighted,

^^ This is exactly why I chose it as my only board, and even sold my Nord Piano 3 to get it ( even though I play mostly piano and ep) , and now that I have a CP88 it functions as a great top board for Hammond, synth leads, clav, etc. I also often still use it as a single board for rehearsals or jams, and while the action doesn't feel great on AP's, it's not bad enough to make me wish I had brought a heavier board. Also, for some reason the action feels great to me on Rhodes and Wurli but YMMV.

Live Rig: CP88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Moog Sub Phatty

Reiterating my experiences with the Nord Stage 3 Compact:

- It's the best compromise and most portable when you want one light and portable board for piano, EP, organ and synth for rehearsals, jam sessions and grab & go gigs.

- For more expressive piano playing and with a 2 keyboard rig, I use the Stage 3 Compact as the top tier board above a Kawai ES920 (which has the same keybed as the Nord Grand) and use the Kawai as a weighted controller.

- For reggae and pop music, I use the Nord Stage 3 as my lower tier board and a Nord Wave 2 as the top tier board and this rig is played in a standup position instead of the above which I play piano seated.

I'm happy and satisfied with the Nord Stage 3 for all of the examples above.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Also, for some reason the action feels great to me on Rhodes and Wurli but YMMV.
Assuming it's the same action as the Electro 4D, I also find their waterfall action to be extremely satisfying for electric piano and clav. It's not the same as any of the authentic instruments, it just feels nice to me!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Somewhere between the NS2 EX Compact and the NS3 Compact I have found my most fulfilling live gigging instrument, all in one board. Like others, I'd prefer the waterfall keys for organ and make do with them for piano vs. playing organ on a weighted action. I had a NS2 EX 76 HP for a year or two and while it was impressively light (in overall cargo weight) for a weighted action, the action made me tired.

The NS3 is a deep instrument and can do so many things very well.

I'm looking to buy one of these ( Nord Stage 3 Compact ) used if anyone has one they're thinking of letting go. Thanks, Ken
I'm actually thinking about selling mine, though I don't know about the complications of shipping from U.S. to Canada.

It's a great board. But I rarely use it. I agree with those who look at it as the board that is often the best compromise. If you want a single lightweight board for piano, organ, and knobby synth, it probably is the best board you can get. As it turns out, though, that's not something I really need!

I use an Electro 5D, which (I think) has the same action, and it works okay for me for most rock, blues, pop etc. piano parts. A client recently asked if we could play "In My Life" at a private party, so I had to quickly learn the "harpsichord" part. I got it down pretty well and told the band I was good to go, but when we played the song through at our one and only practice before the gig, I could not play the solo at all! :o:blush:. The problem was that, when I learned the part, I used a piano, and the band practice was the first time I tried playing the solo on the 5D. It felt like I had weights on each finger. I then quickly crammed in some time with the solo on the 5D and did a barely passable job at the gig. Bottom line: if I had to frequently play more intricate, fast piano parts, I'll use a different keyboard.

I had an Electro 6d and sold it to get the NS3 compact--then covid hit and now my good deal dried up. It would be nice to have an all-in-one for certain gigs and practices, and I really like the Nord build quality and no wall wart!

Anyway, I didn't like playing piano on it, but I'm fairly sure that if I'd done it more I would have gotten (more) used to it. I used my pc361 for piano. Now I have a MODX7 and when I first got it, I couldn't play the piano at all as the keys were so light and fast I'd play too fast and sloppy. Now I'm actually used to it and can do pretty well, it takes a much lighter touch. As others mentioned, certain types of piano parts would work better than others on that springy Nord keybed.

I had the original Stage for about 10 years, and while I played gigs with it we never really connected. Then I traded it for Stage 3 Compact and that was a different story. We bonded and became close friends :-) Maybe it"s because I took the time to learn the bells and whistles with Stage 3. It"s a really powerful all-around board once you learn how to use it. I can see me playing that board for years to come. Of course playing piano on a waterfall keys feels like, well, playing piano on waterfall keys. I have a weighed board too but when it"s the time to haul the gear to the gig the waterfall keyboard doesn"t feel that bad after all :-)

I became a Nord owner in 2001 with the Electro. After that the Electro 2, the Nord Electro rack, Electro 3, Stage 2 -76 and finally in 2018 the Stage 3 Compact. I still own the Stage 2 but rarely use it and can"t get myself to part with it yet.

As I"ve grown older the stages I"m on are smaller, I want to gig with lighter equipment and I want to simplify set up and especially breakdown. Without sacrificing sound quality the Stage 3 Compact is a blessing. It"s not enjoyable playing real piano parts on but programming, tweaking, calling up specific sounds, having a good organ with draw bars (Vent can stay home) and very good EP"s, Clavs and Basses with velocity sensitive samples (the Stage 2 are not) the Stage 3 checks so many boxes for me. And it"s a great top board over my Roland RD 88 on gigs where piano is the most important consideration.