Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Perfect Strangers" Transcription or Chart

I posted about a new gig, back in February. Recently learned that the act will be re-incorporating Perfect Strangers, by Deep Purple. I'm familiar with it, and it wouldn't be difficult to cover; but reducing sheet music to a lead sheet (with a couple of key parts scored) is something I'd trather avoid right now (Feel like I've done that enough for three lifetimes laugh).

Do any of you have a reduction of Perfect Strangers I could make use of? Even a chord chart would be cool; I could rough-in the main organ intro and segues. Thanks!

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Weird. I was the Jon Lord in a Deep Purple group for a few years, and we did this song, but I don't seem to have a chart for it my "book" for them. I guess I just "knew" it...?

Real helpful, I know. Sorry about that. Good luck.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Funny - I picked it out by ear a year or so ago, but I had bought the Jon Lord Keyboards and Organ Anthology book about the same time and never actually looked at it.

I could probably put the chord structure together for you, if that would help? It would probably take a few days to get the time to finish it. Unless someone else already has something to give you.

I also have a PDF I found in an Internet search, and I"ll check to see if it is included... I think it was. I can probably dig up the link I stumbled across.

Funny - I picked it out by ear a year or so ago, but I had bought the Jon Lord Keyboards and Organ Anthology book about the same time and never actually looked at it.

I could probably put the chord structure together for you, if that would help? It would probably take a few days to get the time to finish it. Unless someone else already has something to give you.

I also have a PDF I found in an Internet search, and I"ll check to see if it is included... I think it was. I can probably dig up the link I stumbled across.

Thank you for offering. If you want to send the link, that's fine. I've been sketching in the chord changes and main organ riff for the past hour or so - from a free band score copy I'd just found online; so think I'll be okay in that regard.

But if you find that link I'll look it over to possibly fill in any gaps/inconsistencies.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

The live versions with Blackmore on guitar (and drugs) leave a lot of room to hear what Jon is playing and there's a lot of improv in there. I've done this song numerous times and never thought it justified the time to write it down. I feel like if you're playing Jon Lord you have to improv part of it to keep it true to the original.

And even if you have it written down, the guitar player won't have the timing at the end correct...

Here's two different versions where you can get a better listen to Jon's parts than the studio record. They have two different endings also. Good luck.

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

I have one of those 'complete score'. Send me a PM if you're interested, I actually pulled it out for a band I was starting to play with just before the pandemic hit.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Ha, I've been a RB super fan for decades. He's known for his love of beer, of which I finally got one of his handouts at my most recent gig of his in 2018. (It was great!) Definitely isn't a druggie. Although he plays like it on stage, because he can never play the majority of his signature solos note for note. He's definitely not an Eagles or Skynyrd guitarist, bands that did everything note for note perfect night after night.

I made some notes on the radio release intro, yesterday, but if you want to send your transcription that'd be cool. Guessing that's the extended intro I've been hearing? Was going to improv the pre-intro stuff (Dm Blues, etc..) if the band wanted it, but it'd be great to see what you have.