Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cherry Audio Polymode (Polymoog vst)

DETAILS

So THIS is the something they've been teasing. I really enjoy their DC106, not necessarily as an emulation (haven't touched a 106 in...decades?) but as a good sounding soft synth.

I grabbed the demo last night and put on my Gary Numan eyeliner and rocked out "Airlane" and "Cars".

The paraphonic behavior is delightfully weird.

For the cost of two fajita specials and a beer, you get another funky pad machine for your palette.

I make software noises.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DETAILS

So THIS is the something they've been teasing. I really enjoy their DC106, not necessarily as an emulation (haven't touched a 106 in...decades?) but as a good sounding soft synth.

I grabbed the demo last night and put on my Gary Numan eyeliner and rocked out "Airlane" and "Cars".

The paraphonic behavior is delightfully weird.

For the cost of two fajita specials and a beer, you get another funky pad machine for your palette.

Got their email too yesterday.

Seems to be a good recreation.

I liked the audio demos,- especially the one demonstrating the presets.

:)

A.C.

While I need another synth like a hole in the head, I LOVE that the interface is mostly sliders.

I use a Fishman Triple Play MIDI guitar interface so having mouse friendly controls that are easy to scan visually is a big plus.

It doesn't have the assignable knobs that so many keyboard MIDI controllers have.

It doesn't sound like my other synth plugins either, the Triple Play supports mixing 3-4 synths simultaneously so this would be a fun addition.

Thanks for posting!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I bought it. Haven't had a chance yet to compare it to Xils-Lab PolyM, but several people already say it sounds way more authentic.

I've written a dozen or so songs with the Polymoog as a primary voice and melody provider, so I'm really excited to spend time with this one later in the week.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

While I need another synth like a hole in the head, I LOVE that the interface is mostly sliders.

I use a Fishman Triple Play MIDI guitar interface so having mouse friendly controls that are easy to scan visually is a big plus.

It's not just the sliders, it's the proximity to your hands. The buttons and sliders are very easy to get to while playing the keyboard. I've never seen another interface design like this.

I don't like slidepots because too many of them have short life, but Moog slidepots are very reliable. As long as you remove the foam dust covers before they degrade to goo.

It's not just the sliders, it's the proximity to your hands. The buttons and sliders are very easy to get to while playing the keyboard. I've never seen another interface design like this.

I don't like slidepots because too many of them have short life, but Moog slidepots are very reliable. As long as you remove the foam dust covers before they degrade to goo.

I am not much of a keyboard player, in fact I am bad at keyboards. As I mention in my post, I use a guitar to MIDI interface - the Fishman Triple Play. It has it's share of quirks but even if it had a panel with real sliders on it, I wouldn't use them differently than I would use the "sliders" on the screen.

For me, it IS the sliders! This is a plugin, the "sliders" are virtual. I can't play guitar and adjust stuff at the same time, whether it's analog or digital. Exception being a wah or volume pedal.

The mouse I use does not have a thumb, I HATE "virtual knobs" because they are stupid. Virtual sliders are super easy to adjust accurately and the color scheme on these makes it easy to see (and eventually, to have an idea what it will sound like).

I hear ya on electro-mechanical slider pots, most of them are junk. Moog probably uses the same ones Mesa uses in their famous 5 band EQ, those are good sliders.

I got it, installed it. Tested it, first in standalone with an XKey 25. Some awesome sounds there.

Then I opened Triple Play, added it to the plugin list and checked it out there.

For whatever reason, it wants to play through the laptop speakers instead of the audio interface. I'll figure that out later.

It works as good as can be expected with Triple Play.

I like it, a lot. I don't know how long it's $29 but it would be worth the $49 when it goes back up. The low end is huge and the grittier sounds are more natural sounding than on some of the synths I have.

I didn't mess with anything but presets so far. When you start blending 3 different presets from 3 different synths they aren't really presets anymore anyway. Hah!

Picked it up and grabbed DCO-106 while I was in there. Something got me to thinking; I've already got Arturia V-Collection and have the 2600 V. Is there a compelling reason to pick up the CA2600?

These Cherry Audio plugins do sound fat and warm in the demos. If that's an indication, I may grab it anyway. For $25, what have you got to lose. Plus it's supporting a great new developer.

Sure would be nice to see them tackle a MemoryMoog, or a Oberheim 4/8 Voice.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

I have not yet had time to compare CA2600, which in my case needs to replace TimeWARP2600 from Way Out Ware as I use it way more than Arturia's 2600V.

Those that I know, who own all three, say the Cherry Audio one is by far the most authentic.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I don't know how you listen to these kinds of demos but fat and realistic aren't the words that come to my mind. Those sounds from the original, also to an extend on YT videos of some quality are great, but these software products I probably wouldn't use much if I got them for free, in spite of the fun of the computer screen with all synth controls working. And that's not even mentioning making a production with such sound in the mix.

T

I did a sober cost/benefit analysis and passed on this, although I have nothing but praise to offer across the board. Nice demos! Its as P-Moog-accurate as I can recall from the decades back when I got to demo one. The added effects & GUI are brilliant. I simply looked at my stack and thought "If I need anything from that area, I can and should build it from scratch." That's easy to do with the old divide-down instruments and pretty close with the odd-balls like the PolyMoog. No software 24 db filter will necessarily roar like a real Moog IIIC's, get real, but I'm a guy who is quite happy to "only" get 90-98% of the way. Having played a real Mellotron and Oberheim 8-Voice among others, I can appreciate how well off we are. Look Ma, no tape snarls!

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"

Having played a real Mellotron and Oberheim 8-Voice among others, I can appreciate how well off we are. Look Ma, no tape snarls!

:yeahthat:

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music