Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

When you keep a synth for just one patch�

I have a few cases here where those gear are kept mainly for 1 or 2 patchesâ¦, vintage stuff which I"ve sampled my favorite patches or I have a VST substituteâ¦, the week spot are the mono-lead soundsâ¦. Nothing came close to playing the original stuffâ¦, sampling does not (or I"m really bad at it) transcribes the same responsiveness and powerâ¦

Do you have similar cases?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a few cases here where those gear are kept mainly for 1 or 2 patchesâ¦, vintage stuff which I"ve sampled my favorite patches or I have a VST substituteâ¦, the week spot are the mono-lead soundsâ¦. Nothing came close to playing the original stuffâ¦, sampling does not (or I"m really bad at it) transcribes the same responsiveness and powerâ¦

Do you have similar cases?

I do, actually. My Roland U-50 (D-70 in the USA) has a patch that was programmed by my friend Nick Rothwell (aka CASSIEL), which is this unbelievably rich thick undulating bass drone. It appears on far too many of my tracks as a bed for everything else. Like FAR too many. Right now the keyboard is in its case in the closet; it takes up too much room for that one sound and for use as a larger keyboard range controller for me to have it out all the time. But that one sound.... oh yeah. :)

EDIT: Well, it also has this gooey chorusy slightly out of tune piano sound that is reminiscent of Vangelis... but you did say "1 or 2" so I figure it still counts. :)

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I have a few cases here where those gear are kept mainly for 1 or 2 patchesâ¦

Yep. Both my KBs are mainly used for 1 or 2 sounds but I keep them because they are capable of so much more. ;):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The closest thing to that for me would be organ, because I typically only have one organ patch (tweaked as needed). I've bought and sold keyboards specifically for a good organ sound or lack thereof. "Good" being relative, I'm not really an organist and play classic rock...

Sort of .... have a cheap ass Yamaha PSS for just one sound but I sampled it on the Kronos.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I never viewed the Hammond like that. All the registration possibilities give me a bunch of patches but that is just me. I"m not quite right.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I can relate, though not with any ultra-cool vintage gear (other than perhaps my Korg Wavestation, which is dying due do the power supply).

I keep my Roland D-20 for sentimental reasons, but there are two patches on it that I still use regularly. There is a single oscillator bass patch (identified as an acoustic bass but it sounds electric), and that patch is used in almost all of my compositions. It just sits beautifully and adds the right amount of bottom end. I might layer it with other basses, but it"s still present in the mix.

There is also a great clean tonewheel sound that I"ve altered over the years. It sounds really smooth.

Those sounds are important to me, but I also like using the ultra-light keys on occasion. If I"m programming drums or if I want to do some trilling on a single note, the keybed is great.

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

Yeah, I keep this big heavy old thing called a Hammond organ and it's companion Leslie speaker for that one sound. ;)

That's funny right there! :laugh:

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs