Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How To Improve Tempo Stability?

Of course the really fun and rewarding part is when you spend a ton of time working on your....well.....TIME, and then go play a gig with a drummer who rushes like a bat out of hell (For some reason, at least in my experience, they almost NEVER drag).......

Agreed. Many years ago I played with a drummer who started out fine and always slowed down the songs. Had an even worse drinking problem than the rest of the band. We fired him.

Recently, we've used a pickup drummer a few times and often at the beginning of the song he will slow it down a bit and then stay there. Dance floor filled up so he knew what he was doing at least although that is a bit disconcerting. We'll hire him again if we need a stand-in, he's reliable, has great gear and listens to the songs closely so this is maybe us starting too fast.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rhythm devices have a place in practice and composition. But, IMO, other than being naturally gifted, nothing is better for time than playing with solid musicians or recordings* of them.

Also, IMO, many musicians who spend a lot of time playing with themselves and machines are at a disadvantage when it comes to time and playing with others.

Brotha Timwat and others are spot on with the recommendation of playing with others whether it's a funky drummer with a greasy pocket or a drummer with impeccable time.

Considering the times we live in that make playing with others more challenging, practicing along with sampled drum loops* is even better than a metronome or sequenced drums. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Another to keep in mind, particularly regarding your soul band: when you're learning tunes, don't just learn the notes, learn the pocket. Get deep into the intricacies of what's played on the record, then adjust to taste if your bandmates aren't being as attentive to where they should be sitting. ;) If you're working on jazz chops, make sure you're lifting solos and comping patterns of players you find have great time.

When I practiced tight playing (i.e. was in the process of learning) it was the early time of Midi, and there's an organ player thing when you practice: dare to record yourself, and by critical when you play back. Midi recording remains a bit tricky compared to (cassette) tape recording, because of the delay and the big chords getting time smeared.

T

Do you tap your foot to keep time? For some, this is the key to play in time, and I see players that rush and the foot is ahead of the beat/speeding up. Try to just tap your foot (without playing) in time with a metronome regardless if you actually tap while playing. When you practise, record yourself. Try to be intentionally "ahead", "dead on" and "behind" the beat with a metronome, then listen to the recording and hear if you are actually ahead, dead on or behind the beat.Sometimes the "internal clock" isent quite adjusted:). Another thing that helps playing i 4/4 is studying polyrythm. Like 5 over 4 and so on. Then its easier to identify the variables between the beats.