Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New SKX rig ???

Jeez. I thought I got the wrong thing. I"m 5"11' (maybe 5"10' now) and the box came to the bridge of my nose. They stuff the gig bag and stand bag in with it.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I"ll hate it for 2 or 3 weeks. I always hate new and different things until I get in enough reps. Especially stage pianos. I"m going to really miss not having the Leslie kickswitch on the swell pedal. The pedal is back ordered I"ll have to use a FC7.

Work has been insane. Just unboxed the SKX.

I was quickly about to box it back up to send it back but ... I read the manual.

I couldn"t machine gun on it. That"s what I call when I alternate fingers on the same key real fast. But inside the control menu the keyboard is set to deep trigger by default. That is a dirty trick. I set the organ to shallow trigger (keyboard send point =Auto) and now it plays way better. Not as well as my XK3C. But it reminds me a lot of an A100 at a studio I play at sometimes. It feels stiff but it"s not bad. I"ll adjust But I think my old rig plays better. They do not feel like synth keys to me though. They have too much fight for a synth action. I wonder if it will loosen up.

The drawbars not having the little catches to let you know what setting you are on sucks a little. They are totally smooth like faders.

The organ sounds good. CV is way better. Straight 8 sound good, not too harsh like the stock XK3C. It sounds a lot more like my B3. 857000000 on the bottom manual is a good goto like my old console. Overdrive is okay ... I wish my rack was home. I think the vent overdrive with blow it away. Also I"m playing through new Audio Technica cans so that is a wild card.

I could gig with the Leslie sim ... but I won"t. I like the Vents overdrive and how it reacts to the gas pedal.

I"m probably rambling incoherently.

PS. The power cable that runs from the brick to the organ is too short to reach from my pedalboard to the organ if I use this in a standing setup.

Just played Stealin". The onboard overdrive is good for stuff like old Uriah Heep. I see why Goldy liked his SK2.

Just played Steelin".

Gosh, Ed, I used to play that back in High School late 70's. Completely forgot about that song. Thanks for bringing back memories. Glad you are getting used to your new Hammond.

:nopity:

Thanks Dave.

I"m really liking it now. Doing some ballad stuff now:

Upper 800000000

Lower 635000000

C3

The chorus is sweet. Not nasty like the XK3c.

Well the old Wah Wah trick don"t work as great on this organ. Where you put the drawbars on

8X8800000. Then you pull the 5 1/3" in and out to make a wah wah sound. It"s too subtle. You need to pull 4X440000 and crank it or mash the gas. Not exactly something a sensible player has a great need to do on the job ... but it can be fun.

Overall the engine is just a lot more refined than my old stage organ.

From a sample perspective it is the same Vase 3 engine as the XK3c so any improvements wont really be from the sound engine.. The C/V is improved from the lousy chorus on the XK3c, so is the leslie sim, and the weight is more palatable. Good luck with your investment.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band