Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

LH comping patterns (jazz piano)

Got a question for fellow jazz pianinists I'm looking for common rhythmic LH comping patterns that function as a support for RH improvising (involving syncopation & accentuation of LH chords). Something that can applied to the LH while improvising over any jazz standard. Can anyone recommend the best book/resource or a few exercises on this that they've used and have positive experience with?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I"m far from what I consider myself to be a jazz pianist, but as far as a background rhythm pattern for chords I"ve used the horn riff from Quincy Jones version of 'Killer Joe'. Basically I hit on 1 and the and of 2, if that helps. It stays out of the way yet supports the solos, and if I"m backing a vocalist it gives them lots of room.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Take a look at Mark Levine's 'Jazz Piano Book'.

Chapter 7 covers basic rootless left hand voicings

Chapter 17 covers stride and shell 'Bud Powell' voicings.

Between these 2 chapters you'll have most everything you need to understand what to do with your left hand.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Also check out Jeb Patton's book "An Approach to Comping: The Essentials."

Jeb's an excellent jazz pianist. He's also an educator. His book includes a lot of great info. Among other things he includes transcriptions of several piano greats with a focus on their LH comping.

It's hard to recommend specific exercises without knowing your current level.

Jazz Piano School podcast (and YouTube videos) have quite a few episodes on one and two handed comping techniques. Check it out.

The 'classic' rootless LH voicings are just 3-5-7-9 (all chord types), 3-5-6-9 (M6 and m6), and 3-6-7-9 (dominant chords). Generally keep 3 or 7 on the bottom and use inversions for smooth voice leading. I still prefer 1-3-5-7 for the m7b5 as the 9th can be problematic if used carelessly. There are many other equally useful voicings though, but those are perhaps the most 'systematically' taught.

Most jazz education books will have some section about LH voicings (do people still read books these days?)

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face"

-Mike Tyson

This post from Ethan Iverson has a nice set of 4 basic comping rhythms to practice (one of which is the one mentioned above by lightbg):

https://ethaniverson.com/piano-lesson/

It's about 1/3 of the way into the post. The whole post is good, imo.

Edit: direct link to the patterns:

https://ethaniversondotcom.files.wordpress.com/2018/09/lh-rhythms.jpg