Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is the Nord Stage Classic enough for my needs?

Hi,

I am a guitarplayer/producer / songwriter determined to learn to play keys/piano to write rock songs. I've been adviced to buy the Classic Compact Stage keyboard as I want a good sounding keyboard with good action and keybed for piano, organs and synths.

I found a good offer below the usd1000 bar but I am not sure this still stands out after all this years. I want to play athmospheric synths (Vangelis,Pink FLoyd), classic organs (Bob Dylan, Dire Straits, Peter Tosh) and have decent pianos.

Will it be enough?

I am between this one and the Numa Compact 2x, I use Ableton live and will also use its midi fuctions.

Thanks!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For piano, organ, and synth... yup. Better overall than Numa Compact 2X. In fact, for that particular combination (and keeping in mind the other things you said you care about in the other thread), I can't think of any definitively better boards other than newer versions of the Nord Stage. (Best other competitors would be Korg Kronos and some Kurzweils, but even with all their advanced functions, they still lag the Nords in some ways.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I sold my Stage classic last year for a Stage 3. The classic worked for me for years. Usable pianos and organ/Leslie. Not up to state of the art, but very usable. Competent synth engine for atmospheric sounds? I"d say yes since there"s a decent amount of effects that will help. Not the best keyboard for what you describe, but very usable. It"s strong point for someone learning keys is that it"s an easy keyboard to get around on. The Stage series is known for simple operation. Nord architecture is easy to learn.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

When i saw Dr. Lonnie Smith doing miracles with "just" a Nord Electro 2 years ago, I came to the conclusion that any of these "big" models are more than adequate for our needs. You are not a session player who needs a zillion sounds, NS is just perfect for your needs. After all it's on the fingers, not the board..
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

As stilllearning says, it's not the very best keyboard for you... but for the money, I'd say it is. Sure, a Stage 2 or a Stage 3 would be even better, but then you're looking at more like double or triple the price.. and the original Stage is still plenty capable in the piano/organ/synth department. I think you were lucky to even find one at that price.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I've been adviced to buy the Classic Compact Stage keyboard [...] Will it be enough?
Why not take a look in the manual? It's available for download from nordkeyboards.com (make sure you don't download the Stage 2, Stage 2EX or Stage 3 manuals).

The main omission on the Classic is anything sample-based. You've got pianos/EPs/Clav, you've got organs, and you've got virtual-analog(ue) synth. No ROMpler capability. The synth isn't even a complete Minimoog-style architecture - there's no dedicated LFO, and the envelopes are only AR or AD, for example. But there's a lot you can get into even with these limitations.

And if you don't get on with it, you'll certainly be able to sell it on for what you've paid.

Cheers, Mike.

I still have a Nord Stage 88 which I play in my music room and use as a rehearsal board. I have the large version of the bright grand loaded in, and still have room for a Rhodes, Wurli, CP, and Clav. The Leslie sim is weak, IMO, but the organs come to life when I add a mini-Vent. The synth section is very capable, it has a grittiness that I really enjoy; I actually like it better than the synth section in the Stage 2. At the price you indicated, I would jump on this deal.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

The synth isn't even a complete Minimoog-style architecture - there's no dedicated LFO, and the envelopes are only AR or AD, for example.

True. But you can say pretty much the same about the Numa Compact 2X he is comparing it to. Different missing attributes, but same idea. Nord synth is still more capable overall. Comparing it to the other boards I mentioned in his previous thread about this...

Roland VR-09/VR-730 has more complete traditional synth implementation, but almost no editability on board, you need to connect an iPad to run their editor. They are also missing a bunch of other useful features the Nord has, like aftertouch, the ability to have different effects on your split/layered sounds, and better MIDI functionality. The VR-09 at least also has a worse action.

Casio XW-P1 is pretty strong on the synth front, but piano and organ are not in Nord's league (or Roland's).

Scott - I don't know much about the Numa 2X, but I was a little underwhelmed by the organs when I listened to demos. Plus the OP specified 61/76 keys. And I believe you mentioned no monophonic/portamento on the Numa?

Roland VR is a good second choice, certainly. I liked the sound, but not the idiosyncratic MIDI implementation. But given the Nord deal on the table, I wouldn't hesitate.

Cheers, Mike.

Hi,

I am willing to get a 88 key keyboard if it fits the space I am preparing for it (The Numa does). Now is comes down to Numa Commpac 2x (88 Keys) and the Nord Stage Classic Compact. Due to my budget, I am unable to pay more than 1000 usd. The Numa is about 700. remember I am a beginner.

You stated that you want to learn "keys/piano." If you are more interested in learning to play piano, the 88 keys on the Numa may be something to consider. The action is advertised as "semi-weighted" which can be rather ambiguous. I'm not sure if the action is heavier than the Nord Compact (a heavier action may be more desirable if piano is your emphasis), but again, something to consider.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Scott - I don't know much about the Numa 2X, but I was a little underwhelmed by the organs when I listened to demos.

To make matters worse, you can't send the organs out their own output (not even by panning sounds to one side or the other), so there's no really great way to improve them in the future with something like a Ventilator pedal. You could do it, but any sound you have split/layered with the organ will have to go through the Vent as well. Roland VR-09/VR-730 has the same limitation. OTOH, Casio XW-P1 does let you pan sounds, and the Nord is even better with its additional assignable outputs.

And I believe you mentioned no monophonic/portamento on the Numa?
Right. Unless it's well hidden. I couldn't find any such parameter on the board, and there's no mention of it in the manual.

Now is comes down to Numa Commpac 2x (88 Keys) and the Nord Stage Classic Compact.

I really think it's no comparison. In a new keyboard, the Numa gives you an awful lot for the money, but overall, it's not in the same league as the Stage. Even some of the few advantages it does have over the Nord (like samples of orchestral instruments) aren't even things you care about. The Numa is a new Hyundai, the Nord is an older BMW.

I really think it's no comparison. In a new keyboard, the Numa gives you an awful lot for the money, but overall, it's not in the same league as the Stage. Even some of the few advantages it does have over the Nord (like samples of orchestral instruments) aren't even things you care about. The Numa is a new Hyundai, the Nord is an older BMW.

Ok will try and buy the COmpact Stage I found.

Last thing, Scott, On other forum I was told that it's not good for recording, in term of sound quality. I think that it sounds great and people get overpicky with current technology, the same happens with guitar amp modelers. Is that so? I really want to spend as less as possible, without compromising sound quality, keybed action and versatility for studio and live situations.

I'm sorry if I sound repetitive, it is just that I am a bit nervous. I started looking at midi keyboard for 150 dollars and now my top bar is 1000, after all I am just a beginner looking for the best deal and sound for my songs. It's an old desire of mine to learn to play piano/keys.

Thank you again

I used my Stage Classic to record on more than one album. Not a thing wrong with the sounds IMHO.

Seconded. Very capable. Maybe not up to modern standards, but do you need the latest and greatest to play and record good music? I sold mine to a young lady who"s recorded several songs with it, and they sound great.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

...and if you do end up wanting better sounds for recording, the Stage is a perfectly good controller for VSTs.