Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

keyboard intro's

hi my name is Ash, im 41 from North Wales. I am disabled and im in a wheelchair, i have limited movement but i try at everything. I play the keyboard with my left hand i cant use both hands. i use Audio tracks played from my mobile phone into my keyboard and i play chords or bass lines. I can't play fast or quick because of my disability, my fingers go stiff. i have chosen 4 Queen songs to play, one of them is Seven Seas of Rhye, it starts with a fast piano bit, what can i play while that's playing? Another song's intro does a fast piano run in Eflat, what can i play while that's going on, i'll go into chords for the main part when the song starts.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ash, I had to find a new form of controller after nerve damage hit my hands to some degree and made traditional playing impossible. I almost feel like a free salesman, as much as I mention it, but the CME XKey has saved my arse! They make 2- and 3-octave versions for $99 and $199 respectively. The keys are uniquely flat and clicky, but also responsive and extremely easy to play. I can still use part of my old technique and where I have to enter things a few notes or chords at a time, they make it a breeze. Read this and see if it might be helpful to your work flow. Hope so.

XKey 37 review

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

What do i play for the intro, just the bass note of the key which is D Major? Do i then play the chords still with the pad sound?
Why not try it both ways and see what you like? There isn't a law on the subject. Sam's suggestion of a string pad is a good one - dial it up and see what inspires you.

Cheers, Mike.

In the intro Seven Seas of Rhye I'd play the chords that the guitar plays. Maybe just power chords (no third).

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

What do i play for the intro, just the bass note of the key which is D Major? Do i then play the chords still with the pad sound?
Why not try it both ways and see what you like?

Definitely. Just have some fun. :laugh:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I'll try playing root and fifths for the intro, what sound, pad? Also if I play chords for verses with piano voice what voice do I use for middle 8? Do I play chords for mid 8?
Ash, in your posts you seem to be asking for instructions ("Should I do this, or that?" "And should I do it this way, or that?"). It's like posting "I need a new car, should I buy a red one or a yellow one?"

But here's the thing: music is not a prescriptive system where you have to be told what to do. It's an art form, a means of self-expression. So plug in, power up and try out for yourself:

- Sustained chords

- Repeated chords

- Single notes

- Arpeggios

- Drones

Using any, all, some or none of the following sounds

- Piano

- Electric Piano

- Hammond Organ

- Transistor Organ

- Clavinet

- Analogue synth patches

- Mellotrons

- Strings

- Brass

The list is endless.

If you're really unsure after having spent at least 30 minutes (preferably a couple of hours), come back to us with your thoughts. Perhaps post audio/video clips to show us what you're getting, and why you're unsatisfied. Post links to clips/sounds you like, or combinations that you can't get right yourself. There's lots of great advice available here.

Cheers, Mike.

I have to say that I admire Ash's dedication and efforts to MAKE MUSIC despite his restrictions. Very inspiring!

I was once told the "U" in MUSIC is bigger than the "I" for a reason -- so do what U like, and don't worry about what I might like.

So... Keep it up! Make it FUN! And enjoy the ride!

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs