Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Motion Sound KBR3D

I purchased a used Motion Sound KBR3D early in the summer. Put in a new belt but the spinning rotor for the horn driver rubs against the 2 mounting bolts that hold it and the horn driver in place. It feels like there is too much play in the rotor bearings. 1/16" would solve it. Someone suggested new o-rings which I found at the local Grainger Supply house. The problem is: I can't figure out how to remove the rotor to look undernieth. From what I've read its a similar mechanism to the PRO-145 or the Pro3x. I could use a hint on this.

Thank you,

Mike Skory

Lansing, MI

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Make sure the top cap is level and all the screws are evenly screwed in... that plastic cap I believe holds the top horn down in the cabinet... the tolerance is very tight in there . . .

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Make sure the top cap is level and all the screws are evenly screwed in... that plastic cap I believe holds the top horn down in the cabinet... the tolerance is very tight in there . . .

..yes .. that plastic cap has to be aligned just right or you will have that rubbing problem ......

PC1x, Hammond XK1c, Deep Mind 6, MS500 (gig rig)

Kurz PC4, Mini Moog Model D, Little Phatty, Hammond M3, Leslie 145, viscount op-3, Behringer model D, Roland GAIA.. (home studio)

Hey sorry. I'm not getting notification of new comments. Yes I know exactly what you mean about the top cap. The first time I took it out to change the belts, I heard that tapping and could see it was the rotor scraping on the front bolt (there are 2 bolts). As I screwed it together it seemed to straighten up. But by the 2nd gig it was loudly scraping. The band was teasing me.

So I took it apart again. The guys at Motion sound thought it might be the 0-rings. There are 3 small o-rings on the top where it fits into the plastic holder you're talking about. Those are not the problem. I'll try to figure out how to post pictures here at Music Player Network...hold on..(.nope it won't upload my pix. Says the phone pictures are too big).

Anyway as per Motion Sound I pulled the rotor (horn) off. It was stuck so hard I thought it was going to break. Inside is a shaft with 2 bearings. The bearing go on eache end of the rotor with 2 medium o-rings isolating the bearings from the plastic. The 2 larger o-rings hold the 2 bearings in place. The medium and slarge o-rings are shot. The mediums were actully sort of melted into the plastic. So thats where we are now. The local Grainger ordered the o-rings.

https://www.facebook.com/167390713749/photos/pcb.10157540309633750/10157540309243750/?type=3&theater

MS's scheme of securing the horn seems ridiculously complicated compared to a real leslie.
I love my KBR-3D, but that's my complaint (and the complaint of everyone else I've heard from who owns it): it IS ridiculously complicated compared to a real Leslie. Gig to gig, it makes my life a lot easier -- I get a real spinning horn with a separate stereo low rotor sim and I don't have to bring a bunch of different amps for my other boards. But I really envy the adjustable speed/acceleration knobs on the panel of the PRO-145, where you don't have to take out a million screws to adjust the speed, or address any other internal issues.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

I can"t see your pics (not on FB) but if I"m understanding this correctly, the spinning tip of the horn is hitting something?

If that"s not true then disregard the following:

I only used 1 rubber washer on the top of the horn under the plastic cap. When I used more than one, it compressed the horn down causing it to barely hit the wood mounting block causing a ticking sound. I ended using two (or three?) of the rubber washers on the bottom of the horn raising the horn up just enough to keep it from hitting anything.

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

Yes! You are exactly right! I get what you are saying. There were 3 small o-rings at the top. Rats I probably could have just experimented with that, But I took took the horn out. The 2 larger o-rings I think are to hold the bearings in place. The 2 mediums o-rings go at each end. The mediums were sort of melted into the plastic. The big ones I think were doing their job.

Fixed! Basically I replaced all 7 o-rings into the same positions. Except instead of 3 smalls at the top, I put 2 smalls at the top and one at the bottom to raise it a little. Drilled 3 small holes to re-position the plastic top shaft holder. Guys you've really helped me out. Sorry I couldn't get the pictures loaded for you. If they had "Like" buttons here for your replies, I would "Like" them all.