Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anybody using ROLI Rise or McMillen K-Board Pro or plan to?

Updating this thread from earlier this year ...

It's a meta thread for discussing a class of nontraditional controllers and our community's experiences with them. (Roli, McMillen, Expressive E, etc.) What types of results are you getting? Anybody working with the Roli Block? What about Linnstrument or the rather pricey Madrona Soundplane?

Here's a new update regarding Touche from SonicState. You'll learn more from the musical examples than the talk:

[video:youtube]6obBHrBtU80

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't into the Touché before but that SonicState video really sold it to me. Shame it's Mac only (and must be connected to a computer before it will work, even as a hardware controller) and only hand-waving about when Windows compatibility will be coming so it's a reluctant no from me :(

I agree that's a bummer. The UVI Falcon software is cross-platform but the (OSX-only) LIE application seems to be necessary for all applications. Even if you are using MIDI CC or control voltage, and draw upon their templates, it appears you need the LIE app to scale the amounts of the signals, and I imagine precise scaling is a requirement to achieve the subtle musical outcomes which make the device attractive. They have buttons and a knob on the device. If they could build a method to calibrate the scaling using the physical device, it would encourage windows-based musicians and also players who don't use a computer at all.

• 3 months later...

My Seaboard Block ($299) https://roli.com/products/blocks/ arrived a week ago and I am just getting familiar with the software on the Mac and ios platforms. I started out small with just the small one as I didn't want to invest in the expensive larger models and I am glad I did. I am using it in combination with another Bluetooth Le midi keyboard and it is a nice editor but I wouldn't want it as my main keyboard just yet. There is a learning curve, as with all keyboards or instruments. I have a CME 37 air https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XkeyAir37?rkg_attid=3071863349&SID=-1&gclid=CjwKCAiAhfzSBRBTEiwAN-ysWGJxbalLlypkPRab5JdOaMSC15u5UlwzoPyb55wbFtSbSaeMAzKH2RoC5JQQAvD_BwE and I use that with the Seaboard Block. I got a great peddle steel effect playing the notes/chords on the CME and then using the Block for note/chord bending and vibrato. The Equator software is excellent and it works with the CME as it has aftertouch but not as well as the Block which is full MPE (Multidimensional Polyphonic Expression). I upgraded to the full version of Equator ($79). Also received a voucher for Melodyne worth $99. I was wanting that for transcription so it was even more of value for me. I also use the Equator software with my Roland wind controller which also has aftertouch. The Block can be upgraded by adding other Blocks so if i need more than 24 keys I can do that but I don't think I will be upgrading. Very portable and light. There are several youtube videos explaining how to set up Kontakt vsts so I can leverage that investment also.

As far as I can tell the K Board Pro 4 is not out yet and long overdue. According to the specs is it not wireless. Looks like it will cost about the same as a Seaboard Rise 25.

I had the blues so I started playing. Now everyone around me has the blues.

A few updates since the thread got bumped. The LIE app for the TOUCHE is now cross platform.

Minimonsta by Audiothingies now supports MPE. This is a very small, very nice sounding and well featured virtual analog desktop synth, that also has Wavetable capabilities and built in effects. Dirt cheap for what it does, and a nice convenient box for anyone exploring MPE that does not wish to be tied to a computer. I've ordered one and will report back when I get it.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

• 8 months later...

I've watched the Seaboard with interest since I first heard about it, though it hasn't quite crept into "next purchase" area yet. Has anyone used it for left-hand bass?

I do a fair amount of multi-keyboard work where I'm covering basslines with one hand while comping with the other, or padding organ while taking a synth solo. The thing that intrigues me the most about the Seaboard and its ilk is the ability to trigger expression/modulation and/or bend pitch with your playing hand, so you don't have to lose a limb to an expression pedal or mod wheel. I'm not sure how practical a vision that is for using the instrument.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

The thing that intrigues me the most about the Seaboard and its ilk is the ability to trigger expression/modulation and/or bend pitch with your playing hand, so you don't have to lose a limb to an expression pedal or mod wheel. I'm not sure how practical a vision that is for using the instrument.

I agree, that's one of the reasons I got it, as I do a lot of the same, and it is possible and I do use it that way. One tricky thing, though, is that you play it a little differently than a normal board, and it takes some getting used to to play it at the same time, but if you do it quite a bit, you'll get it.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

• 9 months later...
A third party Dashboard IOS app has been released that makes the Roli more useable for live playing.
Ooh, I hadn't heard that -- I might have to check it out! I finally gave up on using iOS as my sound source for the Roli; it was just too much work and too many weird bugs and quid pro quos to make it easier than bringing a laptop. But I love the Seaboard Block; it's been a constant in my performing life since I got it in December, and exactly the one-hand-modulation-and-pitch-bend tool I hoped for (even if it takes a little work to get it to play nicely with anything other than Equator or other MPE-specific software). I feel like I keep discovering new tricks.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

I believe that it was just released. Block Dashboard by Christophe Tornieri. Reviews have been very good, allows switching between mpe and single mode without having to hook up to a computer among other things.

Samuel, how has the build quality been on your block? Ive read a few reviews stating that the corners were starting to peel up and if the battery can no longer be recharged that there is no way to replace it. I love the idea of adding 1 or 2 blocks to control the iPad Air 3.

Samuel, how has the build quality been on your block? Ive read a few reviews stating that the corners were starting to peel up and if the battery can no longer be recharged that there is no way to replace it. I love the idea of adding 1 or 2 blocks to control the iPad Air 3.
I haven't had any issues with the battery, though I haven't had to charge it all that many times; I can get a few gigs out of it before I have to plug it back in. The battery dying would be a bummer; I didn't expect the Bluetooth connection to be much more than a gimmick, but it turns out it works great, and would really be a bummer to lose.

The corners seem like they would peel up if I tried, but they haven't done so of their own accord. I had a weird issue where the Seaboard was no longer sitting flat -- one of the corners was lifting upward, which made it rock back and forth while I was playing -- but a little pressure snapped it back into place. I think I had played a little too heavy while it was leaning off the edge of my Nord. Mostly I'm just trying to be really careful. I need to get a real case for it, since the original box is falling apart, but I'm stubbornly refusing to spend $60+ on their little snapcases...

I'll certainly keep the forum updated if it goes south. I've only had it since December, and maybe played a dozen shows with it since then, plus rehearsals every week. But I'm hoping it'll last. I actually pre-ordered one of their silly Lumi light-up Bluetooth controllers so that I could extend the Seaboard's range and also have some non-Seaboard keys for certain types of pads and lines. The showmanship (plus the polyphonic aftertouch) sold me.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

• 4 years later...