Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Listening to Dire Straits first album.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like their Brothers In Arms album...Mark Knopfler is one of my favorite guitar players and I love his singing too! Dire Straits put out some great music and Sultans of Swing is a Stratocaster classic IMHO! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Entitled Dire Straits, I am so impressed with the mixes, the guitar work, the vocals, the whole band. It brings me up every time I listen to it. Smokin.

He's a guitar player that you don't hear mentioned enough. I was lucky enough to see him when he toured with Clapton, in the 80's. He certainly held his own.

I really like their Brothers In Arms album...Mark Knopfler is one of my favorite guitar players and I love his singing too! Dire Straits put out some great music and Sultans of Swing is a Stratocaster classic IMHO! :cool:

Indeed on all counts! :rawk:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Entitled Dire Straits, I am so impressed with the mixes, the guitar work, the vocals, the whole band. It brings me up every time I listen to it. Smokin.

He's a guitar player that you don't hear mentioned enough. I was lucky enough to see him when he toured with Clapton, in the 80's. He certainly held his own.

Indeed on all counts! :rawk:

Plus one on all counts.......

Great band, great guitarist. I don't think they have a weak album in their repertoire. Brothers in Arms was their most polished album and made them famous, but there was so much good music from them before and after that. I never saw them live, but saw Knopler with Clapton. That was a great show. Two guitar legends.
"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix

• 2 weeks later...

Takes me back to being a kid, wanting to get my hands on a guitar...

I believe his favorite of the two Strats he owned at the beginning, the one he recorded "Sultans Of Swing" with... he thought it was an early 60s Fender though I think he knew it had a replacement neck... much later when he was wealthy and taking his stuff to the folks at Ruby's to be fixed and set up they took it apart and determined that the body was actually from a Japanese copy, and he stopped using it and it disappeared somewhere... I think that's the story. To me that guitar is still worth a million...

Muff Winwood producer (That's right, Steve's bassist brother from the Spencer Davis days)

Rhett Davies engineer

Bob Ludwig remastering

[video:youtube]

Not to go to far from the OP's intent re his debut alb but Knopfler got covered just recently in GP (Look it up fer yerself).

He always had a distinct gtr sound & his tunes were interesting although I'm only actually familiar with his hits & enamored of a track or 2 on a later album.

It may seem odd but he always reminds me of Peter Green.

But to pick the mood back up a bit

One of the best imitations of The Dyl

I believe his favorite of the two Strats he owned at the beginning, the one he recorded "Sultans Of Swing" with... he thought it was an early 60s Fender though I think he knew it had a replacement neck... much later when he was wealthy and taking his stuff to the folks at Ruby's to be fixed and set up they took it apart and determined that the body was actually from a Japanese copy, and he stopped using it and it disappeared somewhere... I think that's the story. To me that guitar is still worth a million...

It's a bit lengthy but here's MK himself telling the bg of his gtrs

d=halfnote