Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 30 of 38 < 1 2 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 37 38 >
Topic Options
#2966122 - 01/01/19 06:21 PM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: nursers]
Fleer Offline

Loc: Boston/Cambridge
Originally Posted By: nursers
The keybed is not the loudest I've played (my Nektar P6 controller is about the same level), but for me in a rock covers band it's zero issue given on-stage volume levels.

In fact I actually loved the MODX8 keybed but didnít want to wait until the clanking problem would surface (as described in several forum threads over at YamahaMusicians and GearSlutz). Returned the big fella when I still could. And maybe itís a quality control issue that could get solved while Iím waiting for NAMM.

KC Island
#2969330 - 01/16/19 12:14 PM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: Fleer]
conundrum Offline

Anyone seen one of these in Canada? They almost seem to be like Unicorns.

#2972824 - 01/31/19 09:36 AM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: conundrum]
polo Offline

Well this thread certainly died down...

#2972830 - 01/31/19 09:59 AM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: polo]
Randelph Offline
Gold Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Yeah, haven't heard from you new board users in awhile. Would love to hear more about the workflow / user friendliness of the interface for different common tasks, as well as the playability of the keybeds.
Roland Street Cube EX / QSC K10, K8.2 / SS V.3

#2972832 - 01/31/19 10:01 AM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: polo]
GregC Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
Originally Posted By: polo
Well this thread certainly died down...

yes. whats up with that ?

1]Folks that have the ModX are enjoying it.

2]Shoppers have enough info and are on the fence

3] Waiting for one to fall off the back of a UPS truck

#2972838 - 01/31/19 10:15 AM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: GregC]
polo Offline

They are flying off the retail shelves here in the U.S.

All of the major music retailers have sold out of the 88 key version; and most have sold out of the 76 key version (a few have some but very low stock).

They are on back order with waiting lists.

#2972914 - 01/31/19 05:21 PM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: Randelph]
nursers Offline
10k Club

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: Randelph
Yeah, haven't heard from you new board users in awhile. Would love to hear more about the workflow / user friendliness of the interface for different common tasks, as well as the playability of the keybeds.

I've had mine now a number of months and am actively using it in a band. I've said it before but it bears repeating: the workflow is a major improvement on what I'm used to with the Kronos.

It's just plain easier and the touchscreen is so much more responsive. It nearly makes setting up live sets and performances a pleasure wink

Sound-wise I'm yet to get stuck on a sound I can't find for a song - sure I'd like more retro pads but there are enough to work with. Add in great third-party sounds like Busch's great vintage key suite and I'm rapt thu

Then there's how light the damn thing is - appreciate that every time I lug it.

#2972922 - 01/31/19 06:16 PM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: nursers]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

I pretty much agree with nursers. I'll add that, despite having fewer controls, I prefer it to Kronos for real-time control. The controls are easier to see and well-spaced, the knobs are endless, the pitch/mod are wheels instead of joystick. Boots in a reasonable amount of time, too. And 76-keys in a board that weighs less than the K61. Kronos has its advantages... the VA synth engines are cool, the huge SSD capacity, aftertouch, assignable outs, more MIDI flexibility, better organs, it's a great board. But the MODX has enough of what I need to handle my gigging needs, and I actually haven't turned the Kronos on since getting the MODX. Despite everything else the Kronos has, the MODX is more fun to use. It feels more like an instrument and less like a computer. I'd like to see Korg update the (2005?) interface and physical ergonomics.

#2972957 - 02/01/19 12:25 AM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: AnotherScott]
Randelph Offline
Gold Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Wow, Nursers and AnotherScott, thanks for the mini review! I've been burned a few times by the Yamaha interface, so user friendliness and flow is real important.

Besides learning a board in general, it oftentimes feels like a tedious task to do the basics of auditioning hundreds, even thousands of sounds, massaging my favorites to my liking, then developing multis that plays predictably, flexibly and to my satisfaction. And part of that tedium is that this process takes an unreasonable amount of time- perhaps I'm just slow in the way I approach these tasks, hard to say, but I most welcome boards that make these most basic tasks faster, more fun and more intuitive to perform.

As far as the keybed- I'd for sure get the 76 note. Guess I'll have to scour for more reviews of the keybed.

Edited by Randelph (02/01/19 12:31 AM)
Edit Reason: additional thoughts
Roland Street Cube EX / QSC K10, K8.2 / SS V.3

#2972960 - 02/01/19 12:59 AM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: Randelph]
mcpepe Offline

Loc: Spain
Talking about the Modx8 keyboard. There have been a few reports about the keyboard itself beeing noisy? after a few months of use.
You cannot buy a new Modx8 till April, as Thomann said to me (March 28th). Do you think they may be solving these issues?

#2973013 - 02/01/19 09:14 AM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: mcpepe]
KorgyPorky Offline

Overhere in Holland prices from Modx8 have dropped from Ä1850 to Ä1530 ove the lastweek or so..

Delivery times are up to 6 and 7 weeks tough, noboddy has any in stock..

So what am i missing here?

#2973073 - 02/01/19 01:42 PM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: KorgyPorky]
GregC Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: KorgyPorky
Overhere in Holland prices from Modx8 have dropped from Ä1850 to Ä1530 ove the lastweek or so..

Delivery times are up to 6 and 7 weeks tough, noboddy has any in stock..

So what am i missing here?

I don't know. Possibly each 'country ' has its own circumstances.

For example, is there a 'country distributor ' for Yamaha in Holland ?

Here in the US , we have Yamaha Corporation of America

Yamaha is mega large so how they distribute might be complex.

For sure, your dealer knows the story.

Here in US, my 2 nearest GC's have a good supply [ 3 or 4] of the Modx88.

Thats not of much help for whats/what in Holland.

#2973086 - 02/01/19 02:16 PM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: Randelph]
nursers Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Randelph
Wow, Nursers and AnotherScott, thanks for the mini review! I've been burned a few times by the Yamaha interface, so user friendliness and flow is real important.

Besides learning a board in general, it oftentimes feels like a tedious task to do the basics of auditioning hundreds, even thousands of sounds, massaging my favorites to my liking, then developing multis that plays predictably, flexibly and to my satisfaction. And part of that tedium is that this process takes an unreasonable amount of time- perhaps I'm just slow in the way I approach these tasks, hard to say, but I most welcome boards that make these most basic tasks faster, more fun and more intuitive to perform.

As far as the keybed- I'd for sure get the 76 note. Guess I'll have to scour for more reviews of the keybed.

Glad to help but just a disclaimer - I've only set up 50 or so performances / splits etc so I can't vouch it's the ideal workflow for much larger tasks wink I'm also just comparing to the Kronos.

#2973093 - 02/01/19 02:32 PM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: nursers]
theshinenz Offline

Glad to help but just a disclaimer - I've only set up 50 or so performances / splits etc so I can't vouch it's the ideal workflow for much larger tasks wink I'm also just comparing to the Kronos.

Can you use parts 9-16 to control external gear from the Yamaha keybed or do you have to sacrifice one of the first 8 channels? Last time I had a montage I remember enjoying it but from memory you could control sounds on those channels 9-16 from an external keyboard but not the other way around?

#2973102 - 02/01/19 02:44 PM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: theshinenz]
theshinenz Offline

The other thing about the Montage that has been beaten to death on the Yamahasynth forums is the hard coding of midi channels to parts, so no way to say stack 4 sounds on the one midi channel like Roland FA or Kronos can do.... hope in future yamaha starts listening to the people instead of stating Yamaha just works differently from other synths.

#2973116 - 02/01/19 03:13 PM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: theshinenz]
nursers Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: theshinenz

Can you use parts 9-16 to control external gear from the Yamaha keybed or do you have to sacrifice one of the first 8 channels? Last time I had a montage I remember enjoying it but from memory you could control sounds on those channels 9-16 from an external keyboard but not the other way around?

No idea on this sorry smile

#2973131 - 02/01/19 04:18 PM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: theshinenz]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Can you use parts 9-16 to control external gear from the Yamaha keybed or do you have to sacrifice one of the first 8 channels?

Normally, the MODX's own keys only trigger parts 1 through 8, which can be any combination of internal and external sounds. However, there is an exception, you can also select any single Part from 9-16, and the MODX will play that part and only that part, and that part can also be your choice of an internal or external sound. Therefore, it is possible to be playing an 8-part internal sound (on parts 1-8), and then switch to trigger an external sound on part 9 (for example), meaning you do not have to sacrifice one of the first 8 to play your external sound... but while you are playing part 9 to trigger your external sound, you would no longer be playing any of the internal sounds you had assigned to parts 1-8. So your choices are basically (a) sacrifice an internal part in order to be able to play a mix-and-match of internal and external parts simultaneously, or (b) avoid sacrificing an internal part, but then you are limited to one external part, and whenever you play it, it will play by itself (or actualy, you can layer a single internal sound with it, I believe... but you can't play it simultaneously with the sounds you've selected for Parts 1 through 8).

The other thing about the Montage that has been beaten to death on the Yamahasynth forums is the hard coding of midi channels to parts, so no way to say stack 4 sounds on the one midi channel like Roland FA or Kronos can do.... hope in future yamaha starts listening to the people instead of stating Yamaha just works differently from other synths.

In terms of being able to play multiple Montage/MODX parts from an external controller (separate from the parts being played on the Montage/MODX itself), there are ways around it. One is to select a controller keyboard that supports 4 zones. Another is to take your one-zone controller and put it through a device (MIDI Solutions box, iPhone/iPad) which can take the one channel of MIDI input and route it to 4 MIDI channels of output. (Or 8, to cover all possibilities.) Since Yamaha has clearly heard complaints about this, and has not been stingy with coming out with updates/enhancements for the Montage, my guess if that there is something deep in the architecture that makes this difficult or impossible to change, or something about changing this would create as many problems as it would solve. My guess is that it may have to do with the introduction of multi-part single instruments. This allowed instruments to have more than 8 elements, but this function is tightly tied to MIDI assignments, since each of the 8-element Parts must be assigned to a separate MIDI channel. Allowing the user to freely assign channels to parts could break these instruments.

#2973183 - 02/01/19 08:16 PM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: AnotherScott]
theshinenz Offline

Thanks for the info mate... I do prefer the screen and workflow of the montage over my Kronos, but think the work arounds would make it more hassle than the benefits. Although i could achieve what I need to on the Montage I enjoy the freedom and ease of setting midi channels on the Korg. Hoping that Korg brings out a new flagship workstation in the next year or two.

#2973217 - 02/02/19 03:40 AM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: theshinenz]
jimkost2002 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
I was thinking of getting a MODX 8 until i heard reports on the key clacking and build quailty......
Címon Yamaha, you had the perfect board in theory, then you ruin it with a cheapass build thatís gonna atmize right after the 1year warranty?...?
I mean, if CASIO can build high quailty boardsa at a sub $1500 price point, certainly YOU can do it under 2k!

#2973222 - 02/02/19 04:40 AM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: nursers]
lsj Offline

what is Busch's great vintage suite. is that a voice library that can be purchased. I would be interested.

#2973224 - 02/02/19 04:53 AM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: lsj]
lsj Offline

is anybody out there having trouble with Sound Mondo for the modx

#2973246 - 02/02/19 07:48 AM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: jimkost2002]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: jimkost2002
I was thinking of getting a MODX 8 until i heard reports on the key clacking and build quailty......
Címon Yamaha, you had the perfect board in theory, then you ruin it with a cheapass build thatís gonna atmize right after the 1year warranty?...?
I mean, if CASIO can build high quailty boardsa at a sub $1500 price point, certainly YOU can do it under 2k!

I've seen some complaints about the action (still anecdotal at this point), but not overall build quality. But if you want higher quality action and/or more substantial build under $2k from Yamaha, you can get it... look at boards like the CP40, CP73, P515. Okay, they don't do everything the MODX does, but neither do the Casios. ;-) Under $2k can get you X or Y, bu if you want X and Y, things get pricier. You can get a MODX with higher quality action and build (among other things), it's called a Montage.

#2973266 - 02/02/19 09:18 AM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: AnotherScott]
MotiDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Diego, CA USA
Originally Posted By: AnotherScott

I've seen some complaints about the action (still anecdotal at this point), but not overall build quality. But if you want higher quality action and/or more substantial build under $2k from Yamaha, you can get it... look at boards like the CP40, CP73, P515. Okay, they don't do everything the MODX does, but neither do the Casios. ;-) Under $2k can get you X or Y, bu if you want X and Y, things get pricier. You can get a MODX with higher quality action and build (among other things), it's called a Montage.

I have the 7, i hear this talk of key noise - but i either a playing with closed headphones to mp3 (e.g self practice) or iím playing with a rock band. I havenít heard a key strike in the last 7 years of now 6 different bands. I guess if youíre playing solo piano, intimate environment, etc., that sort of thing - it is a factor. Itís just not in my list so i canít help.

As to build quality - its as good or better than anything else in its segment - all purpose light weight gigging synth/keyboard. If its compared to a $3500+ flagship instrument - it might not measure up. Best to compare it to its relevant segment competitors. I donít know of a better quality 76 key sub-20lb all purpose synth keyboard that does as much at $1499, but maybe iím overlooking something. FA-07 is really the only competitor in that nitch imho.

Both have pros and cons, i donít see another option in that segment

I think if youíre looking at MODX8 because you want a pro stage piano - look at boards specifically deigned to be stage pianos. It can fill in with AP fine, but that s not its singular purpose or design focus like other options

#2973273 - 02/02/19 10:01 AM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: MotiDave]
pjd Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
I agree with MotiDave. I'm playing the MODX6 and gig with it weekly.

I enjoyed playing AP/EP on MODX8. Bought the MODX6 because I play mainly synth and organ.

Try before buy, try before buy. Hands-on experience is more useful than "reports." We'll know better once the new CPs are in the store and we can A/B the actions and playing experience.

All the best -- pj

#2973275 - 02/02/19 10:06 AM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: AnotherScott]
GregC Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: AnotherScott
Can you use parts 9-16 to control external gear from the Yamaha keybed or do you have to sacrifice one of the first 8 channels?

Normally, the MODX's own keys only trigger parts 1 through 8, which can be any combination of internal and external sounds. However, there is an exception, you can also select any single Part from 9-16, and the MODX will play that part and only that part, and that part can also be your choice of an internal or external sound. Therefore, it is possible to be playing an 8-part internal sound (on parts 1-8), and then switch to trigger an external sound on part 9 (for example), meaning you do not have to sacrifice one of the first 8 to play your external sound... but while you are playing part 9 to trigger your external sound, you would no longer be playing any of the internal sounds you had assigned to parts 1-8. So your choices are basically (a) sacrifice an internal part in order to be able to play a mix-and-match of internal and external parts simultaneously, or (b) avoid sacrificing an internal part, but then you are limited to one external part, and whenever you play it, it will play by itself (or actualy, you can layer a single internal sound with it, I believe... but you can't play it simultaneously with the sounds you've selected for Parts 1 through 8).

In terms of being able to play multiple Montage/MODX parts from an external controller (separate from the parts being played on the Montage/MODX itself), there are ways around it. One is to select a controller keyboard that supports 4 zones. Another is to take your one-zone controller and put it through a device (MIDI Solutions box, iPhone/iPad) which can take the one channel of MIDI input and route it to 4 MIDI channels of output. (Or 8, to cover all possibilities.) Since Yamaha has clearly heard complaints about this, and has not been stingy with coming out with updates/enhancements for the Montage, my guess if that there is something deep in the architecture that makes this difficult or impossible to change, or something about changing this would create as many problems as it would solve. My guess is that it may have to do with the introduction of multi-part single instruments. This allowed instruments to have more than 8 elements, but this function is tightly tied to MIDI assignments, since each of the 8-element Parts must be assigned to a separate MIDI channel. Allowing the user to freely assign channels to parts could break these instruments.

I appreciate the details,Scott. I have read your post twice and still not sure I follow it completely.

I am concerned about 16 track recording and normal use of midi of ModX with other midi keyboards. It strikes me that Yamaha is forcing a workaround to basic 16 channel midi.

Likely I need a video and more manual study. And Korg + Roland has me brain washed.
I can route my FA into the Kronos and record FA tracks- just an example.

Edited by GregC (02/02/19 10:07 AM)

#2973300 - 02/02/19 11:13 AM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: theshinenz]
KorgyPorky Offline

I have an ipad controlling allinstruments..
Its also a midi router, its easy to send the same midi to 4 midi channels..
There is allways an easy workaround for any problem..
No instrument is perfect, thats why we willprobably allways be using more then one instrument..

The problem with the internet and people allways whining amd complaining is that problems are allways blown out of proportions..

This probably also is the case for the modx keyboard clacking described in this topic..

There is no single instrument brand (not even behringer) offering so much bang for the buck as the Yamaha modx 6...

#2973301 - 02/02/19 11:26 AM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: jimkost2002]
gg22 Offline

So in your opinion MODX8 has a lesser build quality and more clicking noise than Casio's? I have completely opposite experience.

#2973308 - 02/02/19 11:40 AM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: gg22]
Fleer Offline

Loc: Boston/Cambridge
I think it's not a generic issue. Some of Yamaha's GHS (MODX8) actions develop clanky noises because of lack of impact curtailing felt of sorts. Could be a quality thing limited to a number of keybeds, as suggested in other threads. Meanwhile, some of the MODX6/7 boards are called flimsy and noisy by a few posters.
As they are in back order almost everywhere, we could see improved ones in a few months, but this is a (wild though hopeful) guess.
Anyway, had a MODX8 but sent it back.
Will get a MODX7 later on.
These boards rock.

#2973315 - 02/02/19 12:14 PM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: Fleer]
MotiDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Diego, CA USA
If you hear keys, just play louder smile. I played Motif XF7, MOXF6, and now MODX7. MODX7 is better but similar to MOXF6 and not that much different than XF7. XF7 is twice as heavy so its feels more substantial - i donít know you can get to equal and reduce weight by 1/2. Thatís Montage. Iíll take the weight loss and live happily with the keys.

Best advice is try b4 buy - everyone has different desires, feelings, priorities. If youíre ordering online - if you absolutely hate MOXF6, you wonít be happy (my guess - maybe you will be). If you were ok with MOXF6 youíll love MODX6/7 as its just easier to do anything or everything, and is improved sonically. Maybe something else is for you - important thing is buy what YOU like, not what a forum moron like me says smile

I tried MODX8 - having played semi/synth weight for now 7 years, it felt heavy slow sluggish. Which is probably more me than it.

Edited by MotiDave (02/02/19 12:17 PM)

#2973324 - 02/02/19 12:38 PM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: GregC]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: GregC
I appreciate the details,Scott. I have read your post twice and still not sure I follow it completely.

I am concerned about 16 track recording and normal use of midi of ModX with other midi keyboards. It strikes me that Yamaha is forcing a workaround to basic 16 channel midi.

My post was all in the context of live performance, which might explain why it wouldn't all make sense for you. I've never done any MIDI recording with it.

That said, in terms of 16 track recording, the MODX is not a workstation, it does not include a full function sequencer, so if you want to do 16 track recording, you would use your DAW. So I think there's no MODX MIDI limitation there, unless you want to play more than 8 parts simultaneously into your DAW.

As for 16 track playback, it can do that.

Page 30 of 38 < 1 2 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 37 38 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner