Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone use MUSE Receptor products?

I wrongly purchased a Muse Receptor Quatro, supposedly their last and most powerful module a little over a year ago.(Quad core 3.9 gHz, 2-TB drive, 16 gig ram) I just opened it up a month ago to find no manual. I went to their website to find they are not really a functioning company, they have NO support or contact info ( that actually works). Guitar Center wont take it back. I was completely out of the scene for 5 years and was not aware of things like Vienna Pro which has changed the way we use virtual synths and players are now commonplace.

I have NO idea how to use this box. "Plugorama", Muse's sister site ( for lack of better word) is completely useless and outdated too. The things that site claims I need to network and download, and authorize I simply cannot locate anywhere. Any help would be appreciated, or connecting me with someone who uses these and wished to purchase another one as back-up. I am flexible, and pissed that a retailer would sell me a $3k item from a non-existent company, who offers no support. Cheers

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya!

If you've never even authorized the unit, I'm not sure what to say. :-/ You may be well and truly hosed unless someone revives the company.

See http://museresearch.com/support/index.php

"If you would like help to troubleshoot specialized receptor problems related to programming, startup issues installation issues, and anything that may require a remote login to Receptor, you can contact Kevin Bryson, our former support and QA manager, at kevin.muse.research@gmail.com Kevin does support on a paid-only basis, so please do not ask him to support you for free. "

Worth an email to see if he can help you out.

Best of luck.

-John

I make software noises.

Sounds like a case of bad luck. They were likely still in business when you bought the unit I think they only went out of business within the last year. What took you so long to open it? I would imagine Guitar Center would have taken it back had it been within the return window (or even slightly after), but a year plus down the road...that's a stretch.

Best of luck to you.

I was pretty much screwed by them before they went out of business with hardware issues and them not wanting to help because I bought it used and "who knows what the prior owner did do it".

Best of luck. Mine is a paperweight. I should try rebuilding it as a windows box or something!

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I may have given the wrong impression.

As far as I can tell, the unit works perfectly.

It comes with a ton of plu-gins that all work perfectly fine.

I wasn't aware I had to authorize the unit

but I did register it with Plugorama when I first received it, then it was placed back in the box (long-story-short:I moved,I had a heart attack, a couple of surgeries, you know; that old chestnut).And there is sat for about 10 months.

My needs are simple. Im not a "computer-guy" Im a composer who needs a decent orchestral string and horn plug-in for the MUSE. And thats it! Suggestions?

I hope I dont come across as some lazy prima-donna expecting someone to do the work for me, but I really dont know this unit operates. I networked it with my Mac but I have no idea how to troubleshoot issues, download and license plug-ins. As you know, you dont get money back for software, so I cannot afford to make ill-advised purchases.

My needs are simple. Im not a "computer-guy" Im a composer who needs a decent orchestral string and horn plug-in for the MUSE. And thats it! Suggestions? I networked it with my Mac but I have no idea how to troubleshoot issues, download and license plug-ins. As you know, you dont get money back for software, so I cannot afford to make ill-advised purchases.

I would not purchase any additional plugins with the intent of running them on the Receptor. It's a dead-end unit with no support.

That said, you could try over at the kvraudio forums. There's a Muse Research forum on there, full of folks are lamenting the lack of support. (Although one of them got the SWAM horn instruments to run on their machines, which is cool.)

If the hard drive fails, you are 100% screwed unless you have a cloned backup. Nowhere is there a "recovery disk".

I have an ol' Receptor Pro Max, and it will run certain synth plugins just fine (Massive, FM8, some u-he stuff... all good!). I was intending it as a giggable unit... I don't even know what to do with it now. Tried to sell it for $200 locally and got only one interested person who had no idea what it was.

-John

PS: Hope you're feeling better, and that this thread hasn't caused you any further heart stress. :-/

I make software noises.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi "KeithWakeman" and "Mate Stubb"

I just wanted to provide another name for you if you need assistance with your Receptors. This person also worked Support for Muse Research and may be able to assist you as well. I've used him myself and he was very nice to work with. I'll PM you the info.

~ Anthony

• 4 years later...
I bought a Receptor Quattro used off ebay a few years ago (before Muse went out of business). My band still uses it for live shows, although it's not very stable. It freezes up, note offs become note ons, and the sustain pedal suddenly reverses function. The owner Bryan had been receptive to emails for a few years, but now isn't responding. I also had a name of a former employee that offered support for an hourly fee, but now I'm having trouble getting a response from him. Anthony, I sent you a PM to see if it's the same guy.