Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 24 of 24 < 1 2 ... 22 23 24
Topic Options
#2850505 - 04/19/17 06:33 PM Re: cool new effects [Re: hurricane hugo]
Dannyalcatraz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
I saw that video before, and I'm still confuzzled.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

GP Island
#2850902 - 04/21/17 04:38 PM Re: cool new effects [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
icarusi Offline

Loc: UNITED KINGDOM
Got the Synth9, and returned it. Massive 'cracking' noise on retriggering of notes on the Mini Mood on the solo portamento voice. Other aspects were good. Polyphonic tracking of the guitar was near supernatural. It even effortlessly extracted chords after a distortion box, which should have had it glitching. Synth sounds all seemed to be variations on saw/triangle waves. Variations seemed to be 'signature' selections from the existing big EH HOG and MicroSynth pedals with limited adjustment. It has 20ms delay between the synth and dry outs. It's light as a feather and although not battery powered is rated at 100mA so should be easy to do. If they sort out the noise problem, and I subsequently tried 3 all with the same fault, I'll get one again. The underlying tech is good. It also shows the limits of guitar/synth control. Double stop faux steel bends easily accomplished and also demonstrates reasons for not using the Synth9 sounds for that purpose.

The Synth9 onboard compressor makes a difference. Haven't like the other *9 pedals with 'touch sensitivity' especially the organ types. I think the EH pitch-to-sound system may include touch/velocity conversion by default, and limited DSP capacity to exnclude a compressor on the organ types, so may be worth trying the organs with an outboard compressor in front.

Used it in parallel with a distortion box with a passive splitter at the synth-out with no problems. YMMV on that.

Edited by icarusi (04/21/17 05:05 PM)

#2850993 - 04/22/17 07:55 AM Re: cool new effects [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
I saw that video before, and I'm still confuzzled.

There should be more & better explanations of the gear being driven through the effect. That little thing that looks like a toy pocket calculator is a tiny, inexpensive Synth, made by Teenage Engineering. We never even see the MicroBrute, an Analog MonoSynth, and there's no explanation of how the Drum Machine (Roland?) is driving the mini-Synth.

From what I can see and hear, the Pulsar seems to be a combination of a Sequenced Tremolo, with an Attack Delay. You could very likely work up a Patch like this in a good Multi-FX processor, with some effort.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/regrets-only

#2851662 - 04/25/17 07:58 AM Re: cool new effects [Re: icarusi]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: icarusi
Got the Synth9, and returned it. Massive 'cracking' noise on retriggering of notes on the Mini Mood on the solo portamento voice. Other aspects were good. Polyphonic tracking of the guitar was near supernatural. It even effortlessly extracted chords after a distortion box, which should have had it glitching. Synth sounds all seemed to be variations on saw/triangle waves. Variations seemed to be 'signature' selections from the existing big EH HOG and MicroSynth pedals with limited adjustment. It has 20ms delay between the synth and dry outs. It's light as a feather and although not battery powered is rated at 100mA so should be easy to do. If they sort out the noise problem, and I subsequently tried 3 all with the same fault, I'll get one again. The underlying tech is good. It also shows the limits of guitar/synth control. Double stop faux steel bends easily accomplished and also demonstrates reasons for not using the Synth9 sounds for that purpose.

The Synth9 onboard compressor makes a difference. Haven't like the other *9 pedals with 'touch sensitivity' especially the organ types. I think the EH pitch-to-sound system may include touch/velocity conversion by default, and limited DSP capacity to exnclude a compressor on the organ types, so may be worth trying the organs with an outboard compressor in front.

Used it in parallel with a distortion box with a passive splitter at the synth-out with no problems. YMMV on that.

I'm sorry to hear that, icarusi! I've read that some of these EHX '9 series pedals have been having quality and reliability issues. Some other GPF members might chime in on the matter... ?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2851667 - 04/25/17 08:06 AM Re: cool new effects [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Interesting, and promising- considering what might come further along the road here...

__ IK Multimedia is proud to present the brand new Fulltone® Collection for AmpliTube for Mac/PC

It seems to me that sometimes I prefer the example-recording using the actual pedal in this- and sometimes, I prefer the digital-modeling...

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2852223 - Today at 09:55 AM Re: cool new effects [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Shameless GP Classifieds notification:

____
Pedaltrain PT-Pro-SC pedalboard and soft-case

Stock photos originally from manufacturer's site:

____

____