Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stupid question about digital cable modem

I wanted to know if the RCA DCM 305 digital cable modem could output USB and ethernet simultaneously so that two PCs could access the internet at the same time (without an ethernet hub).

There is one USB output and one ethernet output in the back of the modem. We were thinking of getting a cheap Dell laptop for email/internet purposes.

I think the answer's yes but wanted to verify since RCA is draggin' their feet at responding and the owner's manual only discusses creating ethernet hubs. Thank you very much!

(back of unit is virtually identical to this down below):

http://www.neotechcc.org/modemscd/rca/rear-new.gif

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One more thing....would a USB connection be a little slower than ethernet, or does it matter? Thanks!

Hi Ken!

YES. It will connect a PC under USB AND ETHERNET at the same time, no sweat. I've been doing it for years now :)

And... surprise... USB connection is FASTER than Ethernet. Why?, I dunno.

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Ah, that's awesome, thanks Gus! And yeah, that is surprising - I would have thought that ethernet was faster, for some reason. So even better!!!

~~~~~~~

Right now I am using ethernet with the digital cable and it is blazing fast, so that's even better!

I'm going to look into getting a cheap Dell laptop for the other computer so that my girlfriend can work on that and take it to class with her.

Just make sure your ISP will allow you to use two machines with the same cable modem. I had to pay an extra fee for the service.

The good news is that they only register the IP address of the machine connected via Ethernet and you can use any other machine in the USB port.

I got several months ago a newer model with WiFi and have the two desktops, one USB, one Ethernet, and two laptops WiFi and my ISP decided NOT to charge for any extra machine. They just added $5 USD/month for the WiFi service. Heaven.

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

We'd just be running one laptop (USB) and one desktop (ethernet), so hopefully we won't receive an extra fee since you can use any other machine in the USB port. Thanks again.

Ken, you will need two Internet Protocol (IP) addresses for your proposed configuration--one per computer. This is what Gus is describing.

Who is your Broadband provider?

Comcast, for example, provides one IP address with their service and will provide, for additional charges, up to 4 additional IP addresses.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

USB is definitely NOT faster than ethernet.

Using both connections on the calbe modem pulls 2 IP addresses, which you may get billed for. A router pulls 1 IP address no matter how many outputs it has or computers it has conected.

I recently switched my GF's home setup from using both modem ports to a router because of the cost facter. The USB connected computer, while a faster machine than the one connected to ethernet, was much much slower.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

Okay, well, I think the answer's pretty clear if I have to pay for two IP addresses: time for a hub. They're cheap. And maybe I can get a physical firewall as well.

The reason I asked is because I looked at the modem and saw two outputs. Not being really technically versed, my first reaction was, "Oh, wow, I wonder if I can use BOTH of them?"

But I thought I'd ask first before just ASSuming, you know?

I sure am learning a lot of important technical stuff from this board this weekend alone! Thanks!

Originally posted by forceman:

Save yourself some money--get a router and use only one IP address (as several people have mentioned.)

Regards.

Thanks. Yeah, I think that's easiest and best. Just for clarification, a hub is a router, right? I know what I'm looking for conceptually, but I just want to make sure that I know the correct words.

Ken, if you go the router route. Go with the wireless router and either get the laptop with wireless onboard, Centrino or Athlon XP-W will do. If the laptop doesn't have either of those the plugin card isn't all that expensive. Frys has the Airlink module available all the time for under thirty bucks and I've seen them down under twenty bucks.

The wirless router will come with cable connectors so you don't have to do it all at once. You could and the wifi card later.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

A hub is not a router, Ken.

All a hub does is split the signal, and if you just drop a hub in, you will still need a 2nd IP address.

Just buy a DSL/Cable modem router nearly anywhere. I bought a really nice Motorola 4 port router with built in Wireless G ( the faster wireless) for $50 at TARGET...Everyone is selling them. There is nearly NO price difference any more between a router and a cheap hub.

The breakdown on network stuff is as follows;

Hub = Splitter

Switch = Splitter that is 'smart', similar to a router. It knows what traffic goe to which jack, where as a hub sends everything to every jack on it. Switches look just like hubs in most cases

Router = Splitter AND a ton of features including DHCP ( which allows you to use one IP address) and hardware firewall protection (blocks certain channels of TCP/IP so bad people don't get in')

* Yes, I realize that these are not FULL definitions, BUT they serve the purpose for explaining WHY Ken needs a ROUTER.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/justdeals/di624re.html

I'm late coming to the game, but I vote for a Wi Fi router if you'll be using a laptop, as you suggest you might. It's great to be able to use your machine where you want, when you want. That said, when I'm home, my machine is usually 'docked' on the dining room table, where I have a MS Natural keyboard and mouse waiting for it (my laptop is pretty much my workplace, so to speak, so it goes with me to clients and to my favorite coffee shops -- both of which have free wireless. (Free 3mbps wireless, an onsite roasting oven, and a patio overlooking a popular promenade -- that's what it takes to compete when Starbucks puts a store a block away and then builds another one three blocks away, all on the same promenade.)

we've had a Linksys router for 5 years and it has given us absolutely no trouble.

If you're concerned about security don't go wireless. Unless you need to be all over your house/studio with your laptop, plug it in and be done with it. Wireless offeres freedom of movement (at a bigger pricetage of course0 but also accessability of your network to anyone lclever enough to figure out you're on a wireless system (AKA any 14yr old.)

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

Originally posted by forceman:

Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows:

Forceman, I should mention that I really like your sig file!

Thanks, Ken but Mr. Pablo Picasso should get the kudos.. :)

IMO, I think it fits what many of us do here.

That's for darn sure.

Also, Picasso is actually a fairly quotable character!

It's true that a wireless router can be less secure than a wired router. However - our Linksys wireless 'g' router is set up to only permit computers with certain 'mac' addresses to log in, so the only machines it will let on are the ones we tell it to. Seems pretty secure to me... and it sure is convenient not to have wires all over the place.
"I'm just here to regulate the funkiness"

Archived