Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ensoniq MR-Rack?

Bill W

I suddenly have developed a fascination with the Ensoniq SD-1 and MR keyboards. I bought an MR-Rack yesterday and am waiting for it to arrive. The MR keyboards seem to have about 3x the number of sounds in them as the rack does. What I'm wondering is whether there is a way to add those patches to the rack. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of information about the MR-Rack out there and since it pre-dates the keyboard version, the manual doesn't address this.

I know this is a long-shot, but I thought somebody out their might know the answer.

Thanks,

Bill

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IIRC, the Keyboard version only had some extra drum sounds that could be added by adding the Drum Expansion Card.

Find "Warm Bath". When you come up for air three hours later, let us know what you think.

The World Expansion Card is well worth finding if you can.

Love that rack module. Might be due for a new battery or OS update.

I was exposed to Warm Bath via youtube...can't wait to hear that patch!

From what I can tell, the MR-Rack and MR-61/76 are identical in wave ROM size. The only difference I could find is that the rack comes with 256 patches + the GM bank and the keyboard version has over 800 patches in it. I don't see why the rack couldn't load the keyboard's patches, but don't know enough about either model to know for sure.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

The Rack can hold 3 expansion cards, which offer more PCM and sounds. By far, the World Card is the winner of the bunch.

Insider story #1 - one guy traveled the world, recorded the sounds for the card, came back and edited them, and made all the patches. A pretty amazing life experience for him!

Insider story #2: George Duke used to love using the Rhodes patch in the Rack as part of his studio gear. That patch was sampled from my Rhodes (73 suitcase MKII), which I modded to sound just like... George Duke. :-)

I think the rack has some wonderful sounds, the sample sizes are small to today's ears, but the sounds/programming are very musical. No real onboard editing, and I don't know the state of any software editors, we used to bundle a version of MOTU Unisyn to edit it.

Jerry

Pretty cool stories, Jerry. Thank you! I know about the internal expansion boards, but they are really hard to find now. I wasn't able to find much information at all on the Rack. I have the opportunity to get a ZR76 w/the World board in it but I'm still working on the deal. If I can score that, I'll send the Rack back.

I think it was the ZR that had more patches (other than drum patches as mentioned above). It followed the MR. I had the MR-76 and later the MR Rack. I regreat selling the rack and the two expansions. The MR keyboards had a problem with the data knob and many units had a problem with data changing while being played. That is what pushed me to get rid of an otherwise nice 76 key unit with decent piano sound and feel.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Thanks, RABid. From what you guys are saying, the MR-Rack and MR keyboards have the same patches other then the additional drum sounds in the keyboard version. If that's the case, then I'm not missing anything by owning the rack. I think I'll keep the rack, pass on the ZR and hold out for an SD-1.

Loved it. I only got rid of it because it didn't work properly; the front panel was shot and it jumped values no matter what the mode or dial, so it was near impossible to get to the setting, patch, or bank that I wanted. I replaced it with the equivalent World ROM from E-Mu which wasn't nearly as good as the original one from Ensoniq. The Dance ROM is even more sought after and very expensive and rare. If your unit works, keep it!

I got a refund on mine plus the expansions which were rendered useless but which I could quickly audition. I contacted the one remaining guy who knows how to fix them and he said no go.

The keyboard is harder still to find, but many say the MR-76 was a fine keybed and controller. or maybe it was the ZR edition that had the good keybed.

Ensoniq was a great company; sad to see them go.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

One of Ensoniq's bench technicians has his own company, here's his website: http://thesoniq.com/index.html

He has lots of Ensoniq spare parts, manuals and a few units for sale. I'd say he's today's best source for Ensoniq gear information.

I still have a few Ensoniq schematics in my files (mostly ASR-10 and SD-1) if anyone needs copies.

The Fatar keybeds were the same across MR and ZR keyboards.

Steve Coscia

some guy posts a question about an old rack module & (in addition to several helpful mere mortals) 2 former employees of the company that have behind the scenes knowledge of the unit chime in with invaluable info.

THIS. FORUM. DOES. NOT. SUCK! In fact, it totally rocks!!!

:rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :thu:

Sorry, I was just having a moment. carry on. :blush:

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Some would argue the Ts-10 had the best keybed with poly pressure unlike the two subsequent models (the MR-61 and ZR). Another argument is the TS was more representative of Ensoniq where the other two were a response to Rolands 1080 and derivatives). Sold my TS12 earlier this year but the bundle of Transonic Hackers and Giebler tools remain. I'd avoid the MRs personally but that doesn't mean you didn't get a good one. I liked the sounds which were commonly layered back in the day. A industrial album based on transwaves.

Thanks to everyone for your input, advice and some great stories. :) My rack is out for delivery and I'm working from home today (coincidence?). I'll keep an eye out for dodgy pots and controls (thanks, Mark).

I will probably avoid the MR and ZR keyboards. I am afraid that I'd get one that would develop problems with the controls or keybed and then not be able to get it fixed. It would seem the nearest repair place is clear on the other side of the country (thesoniq.com). I'd still like to find a nice SD-1 for my studio.

The ZR-76 and MR-Rack were great sounding pieces o' gear. Back somewhere in the 90's, I was given a MR-Rack - on loan - while my Roland JV-1080 was in the shop for a few days. Almost bought that module; lots of good sounds, but I especially remember some very lush pads.

There was a consignment ZR-76 in a local music store a few months back; unfortunately it was in pretty rough shape, all around. When I could get the front panel functions to work (buttons and display being rather intermittent), the sounds I called up were a lot of fun to play. It had the Coakley card installed; very impressive, especially for the era in which it was released.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I will probably avoid the MR and ZR keyboards. I am afraid that I'd get one that would develop problems with the controls or keybed and then not be able to get it fixed.

I had an Ensoniq ESQ-1 that held up quite well until last year when a few buttons stopped working. The keybed was fine though. I gave it to a local youth center where a friend of mine works. He's become quite a music teacher there.

I do miss that keyboard sometimes. I created some huge pads and leads with it... and the sequencer was so easy to use.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I'm still using the MR76 I got back in 97 as my main keyboard (with an NE2 above it). The stereo piano is competitive with better ROMpler pianos from just a couple years ago, and I love the SuitcasePiano patch -- I'm going to miss that!

George Duke used to love using the Rhodes patch in the Rack as part of his studio gear. That patch was sampled from my Rhodes (73 suitcase MKII), which I modded to sound just like... George Duke. :-)
Is that the Suitcase Piano? Because that sure doesn't sound like tines from the MK-I MK-II era; it sounds like the earlier tines, especially on a hard strike. But perhaps it's due to a very different voicing than what I've used.

I think I'll keep the rack, pass on the ZR and hold out for an SD-1.
I don't know what an SD-1 is, but for stage use I'd far rather have a ZR than MR, thanks to the addition of the preset buttons. Another big difference was supposed to be the addition of the PerfectPiano, but when I tried it in a store at the time, I preferred the StereoPiano I was using.

The Fatar keybeds were the same across MR and ZR keyboards.
According to the guy at TheSoniq, you cannot replace the MR keybed with the one for the ZR; they're incompatible in some way. Otherwise, I'd have done it years ago. I have a couple dodgy keys on my MR. I can fix the white ones when they start to clack (a method I posted on this forum, with pics), but not the black ones.

I admit I'm looking forward to replacing it with a lighter keyboard, the same width with 88 keys, and more up-to-date pianos (probably MOX8 or PX-5S). However, the purchasing department hasn't approved it yet. Maybe next year!

I think I'll keep the rack, pass on the ZR and hold out for an SD-1.
I don't know what an SD-1 is, but for stage use I'd far rather have a ZR than MR, thanks to the addition of the preset buttons. Another big difference was supposed to be the addition of the PerfectPiano, but when I tried it in a store at the time, I preferred the StereoPiano I was using.

The SD-1 is an updated VFX-SD that is supposedly more reliable. I always thought those boards had some great sounds in them. Tony Banks used the VFX-SD on the We Can't Dance album and an SD-1 for the same sounds on the subsequent 1992 Genesis tour.

Ensoniq SD-1 specs

The SD-1 is an updated VFX-SD that is supposedly more reliable. I always thought those boards had some great sounds in them. Tony Banks used the VFX-SD on the We Can't Dance album and an SD-1 for the same sounds on the subsequent 1992 Genesis tour.

Ensoniq SD-1 specs

Thanks. I never heard of that model either.

Well, it arrived and it seems to work. I've only heard it via the audition button through some headphones...haven't even had a chance to hook a keyboard to it yet.

All of the pots and switches function. The pots are fairly stable. They don't do anything on their own, but they frequently skip a patch or two when I turn them.

What bothered me the most is that there is something heavy sliding forward/backward inside of case where the power supply is when the unit is tilted. It's as if whatever is in there isn't properly bolted down. I'm inclined to return it at this point.

• 2 years later...
I am new to this old topic - any suggestions on OS upgrades for the MR rack?

http://cdn.business2community.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/google-inbound-marketing-search1-300x224.png

Archived