Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyscape and MainStage - volume drops after a few seconds?

Hi, this is a question for those using MainStage and Keyscape together. I've got a few instances of Keyscape running and I'm experiencing something weird that I can't figure out. When I switch from one patch in MainStage to one of the Keyscape patches, the volume is at a high level for several seconds, then drops down to a lower level and stays there. This doesn't seem to happen with B3-X or the built in MainStage instruments, so I think I must have something wonky with my use of multiple Keyscape instances. This even happens when I move from one instance of Keyscape to another. I don't see what could be causing it, so I wanted to ask if anyone here might have any ideas on what to check.... thanks for any help.
"If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bullshit."

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ferguson,

This isn't really a solution or explanation as I have yet to run into the Keyscape glitch you're describing, but have you thought about just running one instance of Keyscape and using program changes on your Controller keyboard (or mainstage) to automate patch changes in Keyscape?

Live Rig: CP88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Moog Sub Phatty

Hi Ferguson,

This isn't really a solution or explanation as I have yet to run into the Keyscape glitch you're describing, but have you thought about just running one instance of Keyscape and using program changes on your Controller keyboard (or mainstage) to automate patch changes in Keyscape?

I thought the way I'm doing it (multiple instances of Keyscape for the main sounds I use, each used as an Alias channel strip) was considered the preferred way, but I'm certainly open to changing it if needed. Program changes within a single instance of Keyscape doesn't seem like it would work though, due to the long time required for Keyscape programs to load. How are other people doing this?

I haven't run into that specific problem with Keyscape.

I do find that the Keyscape programs are way too hot (as most vst presets are) and I really need to bring most of them down about 9db or even more. Occasionally I will select a Keyscape program and it will be firewalled on volume. I think because of some spurious midi input from the volume pedal that gets routed to "expression" when I really want the volume pedal mapped to the master volume fader.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

Hi Ferguson,

I thought the way I'm doing it (multiple instances of Keyscape for the main sounds I use, each used as an Alias channel strip) was considered the preferred way, but I'm certainly open to changing it if needed. Program changes within a single instance of Keyscape doesn't seem like it would work though, due to the long time required for Keyscape programs to load. How are other people doing this?

I usually build a set I call "generics" or "basics" or something like that, that will have my very commonly used patches (fully mapped organs, pianos and EPs), and I'll copy->paste as alias from that folder into the other folders that I have named after specific songs. That way it's easier to keep track of where the master patch was.

I'm maybe a little different as I use each "set" folder as a seperate song. In my mind, Mainstage should have 3 levels of hierarchy, not 2; concerts, sets, songs

And I agree, it would take way too long to open seperate Keyscape patches within Keyscape. Plus...my issue, is that for some reason when I open a Keyscape patch for the first time within Keyscape, it NAILS a middle C at 127 velocity. Doesn't happen when selecting MS patches that contain KS programs, only when I open a new patch within KS.

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

Plus...my issue, is that for some reason when I open a Keyscape patch for the first time within Keyscape, it NAILS a middle C at 127 velocity. Doesn't happen when selecting MS patches that contain KS programs, only when I open a new patch within KS.

You can turn that off. Down under the patch list, right next to the right-most button with the "Play" triangle on it, there's a drop down to turn off Auto Play. That should get rid of the sample note playing when you change sounds.

I haven't run into that specific problem with Keyscape.

I do find that the Keyscape programs are way too hot (as most vst presets are) and I really need to bring most of them down about 9db or even more. Occasionally I will select a Keyscape program and it will be firewalled on volume. I think because of some spurious midi input from the volume pedal that gets routed to "expression" when I really want the volume pedal mapped to the master volume fader.

I had the same thought. I actually unplugged my expression pedal to make sure that wasn't it.

Plus...my issue, is that for some reason when I open a Keyscape patch for the first time within Keyscape, it NAILS a middle C at 127 velocity. Doesn't happen when selecting MS patches that contain KS programs, only when I open a new patch within KS.

You can turn that off. Down under the patch list, right next to the right-most button with the "Play" triangle on it, there's a drop down to turn off Auto Play. That should get rid of the sample note playing when you change sounds.

THANK GOD! Sorry I couldn't help you with your issue but thanks for fixing mine!

This might be a dumb idea (or any number of reasons) - I don't know as I don't gig MainStage and I don't own Keyscape - but:

Might this be something to ask Spectrasonics customer support directly?

I gotta believe they'd have lots of users combining MS and KS, and surely someone has tried to run multiple instances and grappled with this one in their experience.

Tim

This might be a dumb idea (or any number of reasons) - I don't know as I don't gig MainStage and I don't own Keyscape - but:

I gotta believe they'd have lots of users combining MS and KS, and surely someone has tried to run multiple instances and grappled with this one in their experience.

Tim

Not a dumb idea at all, and my next stop. I just figured I"d throw it out here as I know there are some users of the MainStage/Keyscape combo.

Do you have a midi controller which is riding volume levels across all channel strips, or just the spectrasonics ones? People sometimes have a knob or slider or swell pedal. Sometimes, that controller might 'speak' it"s value after you have switched on a patch, leading to a volume change.

Just a shot in the dark in hopes of being helpful â¦

Tim

Not a dumb idea at all, and my next stop. I just figured I"d throw it out here as I know there are some users of the MainStage/Keyscape combo.

Well, unfortunately I could not get Mainstage and Keyscape to exhibit what you're seeing.

I use a couple different Keyscape patches inside Mainstage. One is the LA Custom C7 Piano and the other is the JD-800 - Crystal Dreamphase. Each are loaded just once in a patch, and then I 'alias' them for other Mainstage patches where I use them.

(My late 2018 Mac Mini 32GB memory and 1TB of SSD doesn't blink an eye...handles it perfectly )

I do have the I have 'Expression' turned OFF on the Keyscape System page, and I block CC#11 and CC#7 on the channel strips on the Mainstage patch

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

[

Well, unfortunately I could not get Mainstage and Keyscape to exhibit what you're seeing.

I use a couple different Keyscape patches inside Mainstage. One is the LA Custom C7 Piano and the other is the JD-800 - Crystal Dreamphase. Each are loaded just once in a patch, and then I 'alias' them for other Mainstage patches where I use them.

(My late 2018 Mac Mini 32GB memory and 1TB of SSD doesn't blink an eye...handles it perfectly )

I do have the I have 'Expression' turned OFF on the Keyscape System page, and I block CC#11 and CC#7 on the channel strips on the Mainstage patch

Thanks for checking. Turning off Expression in Keyscape and blocking those on the channel strips are good suggestions. I'll try those to help rule out something happening with my controller as the cause.