Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"This typewriter..."

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reminds me of learning how to load Synclavier samples from winchester disks....this was 1990 or so but this thing was supposedly the first one in Nashville according to the studio owner. Oh the work you had to do to get a short trumpet sample loaded in :)

I like how you "just" need a composer, engineer and computer programmer to get music happening!

Funny how people were worried about sampling putting musicians out of business, but that probably turned out to be about the least of our problems, in terms of how technology changed the music industry.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Funny how people were worried about sampling putting musicians out of business, but that probably turned out to be about the least of our problems, in terms of how technology changed the music industry.

I remember writing a paper on this very subject in HS around 1988. It was definitely a hot topic in the electronic music industry at the time.

Reminds me of learning how to load Synclavier samples from winchester disks....this was 1990 or so but this thing was supposedly the first one in Nashville according to the studio owner. Oh the work you had to do to get a short trumpet sample loaded in :)

I like how you "just" need a composer, engineer and computer programmer to get music happening!

I haven't heard someone call a hard drive a Winchester disk since about 1980. But that was when a 5 Megabyte hard drive was the size of a toaster and cost thousands of dollars.

Reminds ME of mistrusting floppies until I had to have a new drive installed in my first Mirage. I killed the first one making backups. I also learned that Radio Shack floppies were badly mislabeled as 3.5" diskettes when they were, in fact, skeet. PULL! :taz::D

I've done my turn as a fanboy, dreaming of a Fairlight, but even when it was still just a Kate Bush dream, I understood the tyranny and occasional agony of magnetic disks. I'm close to a new Mac and leaving mag disks behind for SSDs. Very weird, since I now have three sources of trumpets that include a touch of the spit valves. That makes the nostalgia feel warmer as Keith plays the typewriter.

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

I haven't heard someone call a hard drive a Winchester disk since about 1980. But that was when a 5 Megabyte hard drive was the size of a toaster and cost thousands of dollars.

Yeah, that was these puppies. Each one of the tapes were giant-sized deals from what I remember. This was 1990 but I had the feeling that this system hadn't changed in years....I didn't actually use it all that much, we had a number of other synths in the studio and it was easier just to use those. In particular I recall an Ensoniq that I liked, may have been the ESQ-1.

"Only need to sample a single note" -- Sorry Boyd, they didn't tell you about the Darth Vader / Chipmunk effect.

I'm still trying to figure out why my Kurzweils can't manipulate samples as well as a 1990 Ensoniq EPS.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

• 2 weeks later...
Amusing footnote: the computer musical instrument that can print a score as you play it was the McLeyvier. It never shipped, but apparently there are one or two working (?) prototypes out there.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

They were still called that in Brazil in the mid to late 80s, with the 20 MB drives that were already installed in the desktop. But yeah, haven't heard since the 90s.

My funniest 'load issues' memory was loading games into a 48k ZX Spectrum.. took about 2-3 minutes from a cassete tape.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Laurie Spiegel had one... Also, you can briefly see (and hear?) a McLevier in this movie.

I had Strange Brew on Betamax tape - watched it religiously. I loved those hockey parts - the synth was so fat. I always assumed we were hearing an Oberheim, but who knows.