Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

the Sixteen Men of Tain

Funk Jazz

Originally posted by comacoda:

Ok, guys I'm no conisuer.... My tastes seem to lean more toward whiskey than whisky. I haven't given up on scotch yet though. My experience is divided between two brands Chivas, and Johnny Walker. I prefer Chivas Regal to any of the red, black, ?????, johnny walker labels but I'm considering buying a green label since it's aged. Is there much of a difference? Is there something I may prefer that is about the same price? What would you reccomend for a guy on a beer budget?

Chivas comes from Paisley, where I used to live.

Both of those you name are blends. Blends tend to have more 'bite' than single malts and, IMHO, don't taste as nice.

Glenfiddich is a pretty standard single malt to get into it with (Oh God, look at that grammer!).

West Coast malts (mainly from the Western Isles) are big and heavy, smokey and peaty - it's the nature of the water.

The Speysides - from the Aberdeen/Dundee side of Scotland are much less peaty, although they can be smokey.

There are so many malts, and so little time.....

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Grandad Geoff:

DID YOU HEAR THAT?

DON'T PUT ICE IN IT!!!!!!!!!!

Cold whisky doesn't give off the smell (esters) which is a big part of the flavour, so putting ice in it kills the taste. Actually it's better at room temperature.

:D Yeah, but what's the room temperature in Northern Scotland in December?

FJ

Not sure about the Beaujolais. I find French wines to be a bit too full bodied and downright chewey. Too overpowering.

For balance, I'd much rather a simple Chianti or even a Nero D'Avola.

Noy too big on whisky. I'll happily go for a Glenfiddich or, if I have to, a Laphroaig. As I said, I'm no expert.

Well the good thing about Glenfiddich is, if you want to stay within a budget, that they have a bottle size that is somewhere betwen half and 3/4 that of a regular bottle, so you can get a good sampling without going the full monty.

I went to a wine festival recently and it`s not my main thing by any means but I had a fun time, they just put bottles and bottles on the tables and you could drink all you want, then outside the tent was the sales area. Pinot Noir took the prize for me, great stuff.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Update:

Well I just got back from that shop-what a great place. There`s a couple bottle of 2005 beaujolais with cups sitting on a barrel, had a few samples.

Kinda hard to leave.

Here`s what I saw, or didn`t.

Most of these start out the same for a 10 or 12 year old, and get more expensive according to age.

If you want to splurge, go for an 18. If you win the lottery or rob a bank, go for a 21.

Juwa Single Malt, from Juwa Isle-in stock, seems like I tried it one year but don`t recall clearly.

Bowmore 17 year, they were out of it,no spuprise. The 12 year is fantastic, this most be liquid heaven. If you see one grab it.

Glenmorangie gives you a choice of three different aging casks for a different `finish`.

Highland Park 18 year. haven`t tried this one but it`s top shelf.

Springbank Campbeltown. Same as the previous.

Have fun!

Can tell by your spelling you've been 'testing' the 'cratur', (pronounced like those things on the Moon) as we might call it in Scotland. :D

That should be 'the Isle of Jura'. Maybe Juwa is a Star Wars place where Galactic Whiskey is distilled?

Springbank and Campbelltown are *well* worth trying, as they are *LOWLAND* malts, and are that bit different. Also, they're quite hard to get in Scotland - most of it goes abroad :cry:

As I said - so many malts, so little time......

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Originally posted by Grandad Geoff:

Can tell by your spelling you've been 'testing' the 'cratur', (pronounced like those things on the Moon) as we might call it in Scotland. :D

That should be 'the Isle of Jura'. Maybe Juwa is a Star Wars place where Galactic Whiskey is distilled?

Springbank and Campbelltown are *well* worth trying, as they are *LOWLAND* malts, and are that bit different. Also, they're quite hard to get in Scotland - most of it goes abroad :cry:

As I said - so many malts, so little time......

G.

Well if `Juwanna` get sarcastic about it... ;)

Yes, should be Isle of Jura.

I posted and then had to get to some other things-one thing I didn`t get wrong though, is that Springbank and Campbeltown were on the same label.

Archived