Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite off-wall Compilation Albums

As I was joining the non-LA Club I was listening to a favorite compilation disk, If I Were a Carpenter". It's a bunch of "various artists" who were inspired in their youth by The Carpenters. It's 14 tracks of Carpenters covers by the likes of Sonic Youth, Grant Lee Buffalo, Sheryl Crow. I Love it! There are a ton of neato studio techinques, mic-eating vocalists through too-hot preamps, creative out-of-tunedness, all too cool. How the hell did the mastering dude/dudess make all of these go together sonically? Are there any other such collections anyone can recommend? I also love "The Rubicon", a collection of songs originally performed by Electra recording artists, covered by other Electra recording artists. You gota hear the Cranberries do Loggins and Messina's Motorcycle Mama! -mark
Rubber Lizard Studio

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is that the record that had Metallica covering Queen's "Stone Cold Crazy"? I was the first kid on my block to own "Those Funky 70s." Wish I still had it. It was a good one.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

"Love, Peace, and Poetry" compilations of '70s psychedelia from Japan, Asia, Brazil, United States, Britain, Latin America...

"Cambodian Rocks". The best compilation ever made. Yes, Cambodian psychedelia, garage, and rock from the late '60s and early '70s. Great stuff, and quite fun and catchy.

Archived