Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

E Flat Tuning

Sauntman

This is a stupid question, but I will ask it anyway. I have a Boss TU-12 Chromatic Tuner and I know how to use it for standard tuning, but how do I use it for E flat tuning? I know it has a sharp symbol with a light underneath it, but how do I know when each string is a flat with it? Isn't E flat tuning the same as standard (EADGBE) but with all flats?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EDIT: Sorry, Bill, your post wasn't on here yet when I began this one...

Yuhp, Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb, low-to-high.

Each one a half-step down.

Your tuner should work for this when switched to "Chromatic"-mode (from "Guitar"-mode). From looking at one on the Boss 'site, I see only a "#"-sign/L.E.D. on the TU-12; does it only register sharp enharmonics (synonyms) for flat notes? That is, instead of an "Eb", does it only display "D#", the same note in reality but by a different name?

If that's the case, go by the enharmonic names for those notes: D#-G#-C#-F#-A#-D#, low-to-high.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

If that's the case, go by the enharmonic names for those notes: D#-G#-C#-F#-A#-D#, low-to-high. [/QB]

I guess that must be the way. If, for example, I am tuning the sixth string and the D indicator and the sharp(#) indicator light up simultaneously, I will have my D#. So, I guess to get my half-step down tuning, I will have to use the notes you suggested.

Some tuners are adjustable, meaning that you can set it to 'think' that D#/Eb is really E. If you always play in Eb you might look into that.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Archived