Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to imitate tape echo...

picker

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, the thing is that tape will have a little less treble and fidelity with each passing repeat, getting more diffuse and less defined as repeats fade away. If you have some way of inserting a tone-control or other EQ in the feedback (repeat) loop of the delay unit- some allow for this- then each repeat will have an increased amount of the EQ's effect, as a repeat will have its frequency content altered, and then be reintroduced to that EQ again for EQing what was already EQ'd, and so on and on and on...

If you're able to do that, then introducing a mild amount of overdrive/distortion and/or compression at that point would also help here.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Dances With Werewolves:

Yeah, the thing is that tape will have a little less treble and fidelity with each passing repeat, getting more diffuse and less defined as repeats fade away. If you have some way of inserting a tone-control or other EQ in the feedback (repeat) loop of the delay unit- some allow for this- then each repeat will have an increased amount of the EQ's effect, as a repeat will have its frequency content altered, and then be reintroduced to that EQ again for EQing what was already EQ'd, and so on and on and on...

If you're able to do that, then introducing a mild amount of overdrive/distortion and/or compression at that point would also help here.

I have a rather elderly Ibanez DM1000 Digital Delay (rack mount) that does exactly that - I think it cost me £20.00. It also does a rather nice chorus and flange as well as most types of echo - doesn't do a good reverb, though.

It has knobs, so is extremely tweakable.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Archived