Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fender Showman

Dr. Ellwood

Any guys used to own one? I was just remembering how friggin loud they where!! what the heck did we do with all that totally clean volume!! wow..I think somewhere in that time period we did something with making one channel preamp the active channel (before master volume) and I remember using a Champ cranked up and miked into the Showman..or .. somehow lined out to the Showman from the overdriven Champ! gezzzz.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok he called tues. and asked if it was ok to replace all the caps and tubes ..I said HECK YA..he said the original transformer is in great shape!!! he was ordering parts this week and he said it would be about another two weeks! hay but the cabinet isnt here yet anyway..the speaker is but thats all! :rolleyes: the plans are: Im gonna test fly it with the group...next to the Marshall rig..gonna A/B them and see how the Old Pro Amp will perform with the group..just not sure how it will do at those sound levels..not sure how the sound guy will handle it anyway.

I've never had a Showman but Janice Collins a former bandmate had one with a 4x10 (or was it 4x12) cab. It sounded really nice. She was more of a Fender person anyway. She also had a nice Carvin 33 watt amp that I tried to buy from her. But she warnt sellin' :love: .

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by LPCustom77:

"...She also had a nice Carvin 33 watt amp that I tried to buy from her. But she warnt sellin' :love: ."

Hey, I've got one of those, a Carvin Vintage 33. No longer in production, and I don't know why. What did you like and dislike about it, in particular?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

My Stepson has one, along with the huge speaker bottom ala Ted Nugent. Loud, full, and will not fit in the trunk. He was born in the 70's so pretty much all gear from that era has a special charm to him. A great amp but one I would leave in the jam room 99% of the time without a crew of rodies!

Once I thought I saw you, in a crowded, hazy, bar........

Originally posted by CaevanO'Shite:

"...She also had a nice Carvin 33 watt amp that I tried to buy from her. But she warnt sellin' :love: ."

Hey, I've got one of those, a Carvin Vintage 33. No longer in production, and I don't know why. What did you like and dislike about it, in particular?
That Carvin was a nice amp. I think you're right that it was a Vintage 33. This one was made back in the 60s and she got it used.

It was relatively small but with a huge sound. Clean was clear as a bell. I never got to hear it overdriven. You could make an Ovation really loud and it just thundered. There wasn't anything I disliked about it. It even looked good. I can't remember if it had reverb or not.

I tried to buy it off her again when she left the band (to get married and have kids). But she said she wanted to keep it.

Born on the Bayou

sorry just saw this here thread...

BigTime owner of all things Fender and the Showmans are way up there on the list...

a blackface Dual Showman going into a 2X15 and a Showman going into a 1X15.

Fender never made 4X12s until later i think...

anyway beautiful amps that were made to be played LOUD (and clean!)

staninsanfran

AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

LPCustom77-

Well, if it was made in the '60s, it isn't a "Vintage 33"; the Vintage 33 is a "tweed" looking tube-amp with cream-colored "chicken-head" knobs, two channels, a 12" speaker, and reverb. They made them in the '90s.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

LPCustom77-

Well, if it was made in the '60s, it isn't a "Vintage 33"; the Vintage 33 is a "tweed" looking tube-amp with cream-colored "chicken-head" knobs, two channels, a 12" speaker, and reverb. They made them in the '90s.

Well, this one wasn't tweed, it was black. It was a tube amp. I remember it was 33 watts (odd number, not 30, which is why I remember it). I don't know what the model was. (this was 18 years ago -- can't visualize it in my head anymore, either)

Born on the Bayou

LPCustom77-

Well, this one wasn't tweed, it was black. It was a tube amp. I remember it was 33 watts (odd number, not 30, which is why I remember it). I don't know what the model was. (this was 18 years ago -- can't visualize it in my head anymore, either)
Well, it's official. I'm an old fart. My memory is crap. I talked to Janice and she said her Carvin amp was 30 watts, not 33. It was an 8-12B with a Hammond reverb. I asked if it was black. She said no, that it was tweed and that it was made in 1963 or 64 (maybe 65). She got it in 1973. She still has it but doesn't know if it still works.

She said she thinks I got her Carvin amp mixed up with her Fender Twin. (which I also liked and that was the vague mental image I kept getting) Time for new memory chips, I guess... :rolleyes:

Born on the Bayou

Archived