Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Daisy Rock Guitars!

phaeton

We went to Ward-Brodt's Tent Sale over the weekend. Poor salesweasels were outside in long pants, long-sleeve shirts and ties, and it was about 97F..

Anyways, we went inside. We were making fun of the Daisy Rock guitars, so as a joke i pulled one down off the wall and plugged it into a solid-state Peavey that was probably geared towards the nu-metal crowd (not a XXX or XXL tho, i forget what it was)..

So i pounded out some wicked Slayer tunes on it, did all the theatrics and made a total ass out of myself to spite my gf and her brother. (they lasted around 15 seconds)...

After I was done showing off, i actually started to play the guitar somewhat seriously. Holy Damn! It wasn't all that bad! Nice short scale, great neck, good action. This one only had one pickup, a nondescript square white humbucker at the bridge (cover looked like those on the EMG active pickups, but it only had a volume knob). It had a non-trem bridge and it felt solid. It was the cheesy flower one, similar to this:

http://www.daisyrock.com/images/products/daisy/daisy_artist_pink_pop.jpg

except yellow, only one pickup, and only a volume knob- no tone or switches. Didn't sit too well on the knee but it was lightweight, and it sustained pretty good.

It's too bad that they're 'gimmicked' like this, and that they are a perpetuation of a sexist mentality. Guitars for girls, because they can't play the others. Or maybe not. Maybe it shows that it's "ok" for girls to play guitar. Maybe it helps, i dunno. A guitar is a guitar, and they're for everyone, IMHO.

When i first started playing i really wish i had one this nice to play. Seriously. Even now i'd consider getting (the butterfly) one because it was so comfortable to play, even with raging tendonitis. I'd probably have to refinish it and put some evil && death on it though, or at least painted black with skull-n-crossbones.

But...

If i were some bad ass in a thrasmetal or deathmetal band, I'd probably pick out the fruitiest, girliest one and play it on stage as-is just to be a jackass.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, Hell, yeah, if I were in a regularly gigging band, I'd very definitely have a Daisy Rock to whip out occasionally, not only because some models look so, uhmn, flashy, but because they usually play quite well, too. So it would NOT be one for Pete Townsend-esque demolition gimmicks...

I think I'd like a limited-edition Power-Puff Girls model; probably a "Buttercup". With a "Darkburst" humbucker installed, of course.

I think that the girly-girl models are there to appeal to those girls who would like that look; hey, us boys have had our V's 'n' Destroyers for years, right? And for those who put the grrr in grrrl, they have some more traditional looking models, too.

My friends' young daughter wants her own black 'n' red V-style bass, but I'd bet she'd also like those girly Daisy Rocks, too. (She and her older brother were hooked on that movie, School of Rock. And their Dad's got a bass. They love it when I bring my guitar and my Johnson J-Station (it'll do guitar AND bass) 'n' AKG headphones over...)

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I like the concept of Daisy Rock guitars. Sure they're not for everyone, and I can see Lee Flier's point that you shouldn't have to make something look like a Barbie toy to encourage young girls to play...but, the truth of it is, for some young gals, it WORKS. And in this case, IMO, the end justifies the means.

Just like every boy who plays doesn't necessarily want something that looks like a dead bat. Guitar players are individuals, and, perhaps the "Daisy Rock" flower, butterfly, or heart might be the equivalent of a boy's "dead bat" or "camo" guitar. :D:D

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

See, things like that make my friends' young daughter- who went from being a dress-hating tomboy to a fashion-horse princess overnight- feel included and invited, whether she chooses a dead bat OR a Princess Barbie axe. Or both. Or... maybe something kinda "Tim Burton"?

Originally posted by CaevanO'Shite:

See, things like that make my friends' young daughter- who went from being a dress-hating tomboy to a fashion-horse princess overnight- fell included and invited, whether she chooses a dead bat OR a Princess Barbie axe. Or both. Or... maybe something kinda "Tim Burton"?

You're on to something..

The "Tim Burtonesque" girl guitar has been done, however, by Epiphone, of all companies...

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM04/Content/Epiphone/PR/Emily-the-Strange-sm.jpg

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Cool!

I think she'd particularly like that little black cat on that Epi.

She and her Mom are both into artwork and characters from The Nightmare Before Christmas; I was thinking something like that, or the upcoming The Corpse Bride...

I've been saying good things about Daisy Rock for some time. They may not appeal to Lee, but I guess the point is she's not the typical girl. Much to my wife's chagrin, the minute Lilly had a choice she was only interested in wearing girly-girl clothing. Denise is not a frugh-frugh, fashion barbie kind of girl at all. She wanted a little tom-boy, in jeans and overalls. Never happened.

So while Lilly has an interest in guitar from her daddy, there was little surprise when her excitement increased after seeing that Daisy Rock, butterfly guitar. I played one in the store and was impressed, not only with the playability, but the tone was great.

I already wanted a yellow Venus, as pictured in Green's post. But I'd have to substitute the humbuckers for P-94's. (P-90's in a humbucker sized casing for direct replacement.)

Glad the word is getting out. The prices are dirt cheap, the build is good for a budget guitar, and they have some interesting electric 12 string guitars, as well. :thu:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Let's all chip in and buy Lee a really girly Daisy Rock guitar. I bet she'd take recieving a guitar like that as a genuinely empowering invitation to pull the Pete Twonshend she's been wanting to all these years...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by CaevanO'Shite:

Hah!

The Butterfly Princess and her eight-legged friends... ! ;):D

ALL HAIL THE BUTTERFLY PRINCESS WHO RULES OVER ARACHNIDS!!!

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/4578/QueenoftheButterfliesavatar.jpg

You do see her tights in that picture, right? Orange with black bats! :D:thu:

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by picker:

"Let's all chip in and buy Lee a really girly Daisy Rock guitar. I bet she'd take recieving a guitar like that as a genuinely empowering invitation to pull the Pete Townshend she's been wanting to all these years... "

Naaa, if she had wanted to do that, she'd had plenty enough oportunity with that old guitar she's got, that frilly gold-painted one...

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

"ALL HAIL THE BUTTERFLY PRINCESS WHO RULES OVER ARACHNIDS!!!"

That line, and that pic, have me imagining an epsode of The Twilight Zone where you'd BETTER do what the little girl wants, and quickly... or be damn good 'n' fast with a flyswatter! :freak::eek::D

Photo-shop anyone? She needs that Daisy Rock guitar that Phaeton posted in her little hands. :D

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Hideous barf inducing monstrosities!!!!

Townshend them and then get Pyrotechnic-Jimi on their shattered remains!!!!!! You know it makes sense!!!!! :thu:

Get a proper spiky guitar, ie:

http://www.maple-gakki.com/bc/beast-750-strb2.jpg

Or a nice pointy one:

http://www.petersontuners.com/images/bank/ESP_2.jpg

This thread is really making me regret selling my Warlock!!! Going to have to take the V to rehearsal this week... :D

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Oh c'mon Base!

Nothing's more hawt than Venom and Morbid Angel on a giant Barbie-coloured flower!

Fwiw, when I was 16 and guitar shopping there was a hot pink warlock with the price slashed down to about that of the Squire Strats.

Hot. Pink.

I walked out with the Black Squire Strat that day (a la Dave Murray). I think that warlock hung around for another 2 years.

WWND?

Sorry dude, I thought Daisy Rock were some kind of novelty toy that the music shop had put on display for a joke when I first saw them. I love novelty shapes and designs in guitars, but they are just horrendous!!!!

However, the idea of a band like Morbid Angel playing them has brought a smile to my face :D

The Warlock played quite well, I kinda liked the wider neck for some stuff, but it weighed a ton! I only bought it cheap on eBay to play for a few months before seling on. If I found another cheap enough I'd probably buy it tho. Is that hot pink one still there?? :D

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

They have the place torn up for re-model, that must have been a real tough set up for them.

The Daisy Rock, was started by a gal who used to have her booth next to Zaolla and Hosa at NAMM>

Her hubby is a player and they decided to build playable instrumenents for the teen crowd.

She sold to Alfred publishing a few years later and yes, even True Tone, the westside,s pro guitar store in Santa Monica, sells them.

Sorry you felt they were toys but dude, had I been at your set in Madison, I would have hoisted my lighter after you played...

Label on the reverb, inside 1973 Ampeg G-212: "Folded Line Reverberation Unit" Manufactured by beautiful girls in Milton WIS. under controlled atmosphere conditions.

Originally posted by Blue Strat:

...Photo-shop anyone? She needs that Daisy Rock guitar that Phaeton posted in her little hands. :D

You're insane! She's the Butterfly Princess! Has to be the guitar she really wants, the Daisy Rock Butterfly guitar.

http://www.daisyrock.com/images/products/butterfly/bf_artist_fantasy_pop.jpg

;)

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Blue Strat:

Photo-shop anyone? She needs that Daisy Rock guitar that Phaeton posted in her little hands. :D
Is it just me, or do those shoes look familiar to anyone else? ;)

Is it just me, or do those shoes look familiar to anyone else?

Are you insinuating that Fantasticsound's daughter has been into your wardrobe with sticky fingers? :evil:

WWND?

"Oh no! Et tu, Phil?!? Et tu??" :eek::freak:

Ah, but Neil, your's were the kindest clogs of all...

(Clicking his ruby-red heels together, Neilius Siezure ("Seize 'er? I don' even KNOW 'er!") plays "Over the Rainbow" on his Strat, all the while repeating, There's NO place like Rome! There's NO place like Rome!")

Be proud of those slippers, 'n' those duds, neil. Embrace the colorful side of the force...

Archived