Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Newbie Intro

Rhino Madness

Heya folks!

Ive posted here a few times but never got around to properly introduce myself so here it is:

Hi, I am Rhino and I love to play the guitar(s)!

Im mostly about playing originals on both the acoustic and the electric. My main setup is a Warmoth strat with a scalloped neck through an analogman TS-9 into an older 4-input non-master-volume Marshall connected to a HotPlate and a Marshall bottom loaded with Vintage 30s. However, Im about to start recording a CD of acoustic-only instrumentals.

I find the wealth of knowledge in all styles here mighty impressive and have been lurking around long enough to appreciate the good and generous people sharing stories and info :thu: .

I try and check this board every few days and am always shocked by the diversity of topics (and some of the more prolific writers send me to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome territory just browsing through their posts :D !!!)

Thanks to all of you for making this such an interesting part of the web :thu: ,

Rhino

P.S. I am making the rounds in some of the other forums to introduce myself so some of you might see some redundancy: sorry about that!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Rhino, what's your main acoustic style going to be for the CD? Steel string, nylon, fingerstyle, bluesy, jazzy....and about the scalloped fretboard, one of my colleagues at the music school has a scalloped strat. I would have have to really work at playing it without making it sound like a broken tape deck(notes bending all over the place out of control), I noticed that he doesn't use it much himself,

Jim

Hey, a belated welcome to the blated introductee! Ehr, somethin' like that...

"Warmoth strat with a scalloped neck through an analogman TS-9 into an older 4-input non-master-volume Marshall connected to a HotPlate and a Marshall bottom loaded with Vintage 30s." That looks to be a killer sounding rig you've got there! Any mp3-clips for examples of your sound 'n' style that you could post?

I'm with Jim- what's your angle on "acoustic" guitar? Tell us more about your plans for this instrumental project, too.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Hey thanks for the nice welcome everyone! Ill try to answer some of your questions here

I love the scalloped fretboard because I do a lot of string bending and wrist vibrato and its nice to have a really good grip on the string without scraping my fingertips on the wood. I find its also easier to fret the notes in the high register with a scalloped board. Another good reason to go for a scalloped neck is that it forces you to have a very light touch with the fret hand so you dont use any extra tension and you can then develop to your fuller potential. Once you develop a light touch, you can translate that to any neck, scalloped or not. People who have tried my guitar are from both camps: those who have found it very interesting and those who have hated it! I was lucky to be able to try a friends guitar with a scalloped board for a couple of weeks before committing to one myself. My touch was already light but I felt that the scalloping had improved my playing in just those two weeks so I just had to get one!

I recommend reading this post for other opinions on scalloped fretboards.

As for my acoustic style, thats a tough one (I definitely have to get better at describing my own music :confused: ). I play a steel-string guitar although I will try and borrow a nylon-string to add different colors on my CD. Theres no specific influence that comes to mind as far as acoustic instrumental music goes: this is what I play these days but strangely not what Ive ever listened to. I got my taste in acoustic music from what the typical rock bands and guitar heroes would play. I incorporate mostly arpeggiated forms with lots of embellishments and single-note playing with occasional strumming. I play with a pick but tend to often use hybrid picking (adding the fingers to pluck the strings while still using the pick). I also have the occasional fingerpicked piece. The moods evoked are mainly dark, introspective and melancholy. Hows that for a long and evasive answer?

Rhino

Thanks guys!

Blue Strat:

No, I've never had a chance to try a scalloped fretboard on an acoustic but I'd loved to! I don't do much string bending on the acoustic but there are times I'd wish at least a jumbo fretwire to feel the strings better!

Rhino

Welcome Rhino! :wave:

I was thinking... you're name looks really familiar. I'm almost 101% sure that you got it from a 21 PRO, since that was a pre-set. It's been years, but I do remember that preset. I believe it had A LOT of reverb.

Am I correct??? :idea: If so, BOY is my long-term memory intact! :D BUT my short-term totally sux!!! :P

God Bless :thu:

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

BiC, thanks for the Welcome!

I dont want to get between you and your memory (and Im sure its fantabulous) but I still have a GSP 21 lying around somewhere and it did have a Delay Madness preset: thats my little brother! And his twin is twin twin win in :D

Seriously though, no, I did not get my name from a preset (although it would have been cool, too). I actually had an encounter with a live rhinoceros and it was so uncommon and surreal and absurd that it left an impression on me enough so that I renamed myself after that experience.

Rhino

Originally posted by Rhino Madness:

"...a Delay Madness preset: thats my little brother! And his twin is twin twin win in " :D

You have been a lurker here for some time now, haven't you? ;):thu:

You replied without delay, ehr, rather, I guess you replied with delay... :D:rolleyes: (I am the King of corny delay-effect jokes... ) ;)

Then again, Teahead did say this once:

Originally posted by Teahead:

"...Likewise, Robert Keeley is working on a clone of the Ibanez Soundtank Delay, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Those guys are really busy and delays take time they just don't have."

I find this to be enetirely too funny, but, that's me. :rolleyes: Although, I never did find out if he meant it that way...

Rhino Madness:

"...I actually had an encounter with a live rhinoceros and it was so uncommon and surreal and absurd that it left an impression on me enough so that I renamed myself after that experience."

Rhino

Now, I'd like to know some more about that story! :cool:

BiC, thanks for the Welcome!

I dont want to get between you and your memory (and Im sure its fantabulous) but I still have a GSP 21 lying around somewhere and it did have a Delay Madness preset: thats my little brother! And his twin is twin twin win in :D

Seriously though, no, I did not get my name from a preset (although it would have been cool, too). I actually had an encounter with a live rhinoceros and it was so uncommon and surreal and absurd that it left an impression on me enough so that I renamed myself after that experience.

Rhino

NOW YOU DID IT!!! You made me unpack my 21 Pro. :D

Preset #4 is "Ted Rhino Attack". Perhaps even more fitting for your rhino experience??? ;) So, I wasn't too far off! :D BTW, would your name happen to be Ted? :cool:

Now, tell us about this "rhino madness". :wave:

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Originally posted by BiC:

"Preset #4 is "Ted Rhino Attack". Perhaps even more fitting for your rhino experience??? ;) So, I wasn't too far off! :D BTW, would your name happen to be Ted?" :cool:

The preset's title is most definitely a nod to Ted Nugent's sound ("This guitar could blow the b@ll$ off'f a charging rhino at fifty-yards!", or something very much like that...).

Rest assured, though, you have vindicated your long-term attic-clutter, BiC!

I still believe Mssr. Rhino Luna-tique's affirmations on his appelation, though.

Originally posted by CaevanO'Shite:

You replied without delay, ehr, rather, I guess you replied with delay... :D:rolleyes: (I am the King of corny delay-effect jokes... )

()

I find this to be entirely too funny, but, that's me. :rolleyes: Although, I never did find out if he meant it that way...

Caevan, I love your sense of humor, its part of what makes this forum such a wonderful place!

Originally posted by BiC:

NOW YOU DID IT!!! You made me unpack my 21 Pro.

Preset #4 is "Ted Rhino Attack". Perhaps even more fitting for your rhino experience??? ;) So, I wasn't too far off! :D BTW, would your name happen to be Ted?

Now, tell us about this "rhino madness".

BiCs memory is intact!!! :thu: Im sorry you had to go unpacking to verify, though. I had it easy, I keep all my music manuals together so I just had to pull one off the shelf to get to the list of presets (and I dont have the Pro version so Ive been missing out on that Rhino preset all those years).

Originally posted by CaevanO'Shite:

Now, I'd like to know some more about that story!

FYI, my name is not Ted (and my last name is not Nugent either :) ). And I wouldnt call what happened to me an attack. If the rhinoceros would have been the slightest bit angry, I wouldnt roam this Earth anymore myself. The rhino was merely playing.

You can find the story here .

Rhino

Originally posted by Blue Strat:

Maybe I should be called "Buffalo", or maybe "Musk-Ox". ;)

Somewhere, there's a Bison who's renamed himself "Chris"...

i had a psycho tom cat experience when i was 10.

it had attached itself to my torso at 4 points! picture a big fat, white tom hanging off the front of a freaked out 10 year old!

i should rename myself "Psycho tom cat experience"

you know that sounds like a cool band name!

Maybe I should be called "Buffalo", or maybe "Musk-Ox". ;)

Just before the rhino incident, we were stopped at a junction where a herd of bisons crossed the street around our car and one of them started to jump around rodeo-style a few feet from us. That was pretty cool but we were worried it would ram into the car. We still didnt know what was ahead of us

So what happened with your buffalo?

It seems like many people could have cool names based on their experience with different animals!

Ive had a few previous run-ins with other animals but Possum Stupidity or Deer Sweetie just dont have the proper ring to it or dont fit with my true personality (or maybe they do but my agent told me that as an artist I could try and project a different image).

Rhino

Heya folks!

Ive posted here a few times but never got around to properly introduce myself so here it is:

Hi, I am Rhino and I love to play the guitar(s)!

Im mostly about playing originals on both the acoustic and the electric. My main setup is a Warmoth strat with a scalloped neck through an analogman TS-9 into an older 4-input non-master-volume Marshall connected to a HotPlate and a Marshall bottom loaded with Vintage 30s. However, Im about to start recording a CD of acoustic-only instrumentals.

I find the wealth of knowledge in all styles here mighty impressive and have been lurking around long enough to appreciate the good and generous people sharing stories and info :thu: .

I try and check this board every few days and am always shocked by the diversity of topics (and some of the more prolific writers send me to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome territory just browsing through their posts :D !!!)

Thanks to all of you for making this such an interesting part of the web :thu: ,

Rhino

P.S. I am making the rounds in some of the other forums to introduce myself so some of you might see some redundancy: sorry about that!

Rhino,

Welcome to the group.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Actually, "Burro Carwash" is a better name. Burro stops car in the road. Burro wants food. Burro is given fudge. As burro moves out of the way of the car it licks the windows. Fudge and burro saliva on the car windows. Burro carwash. :D

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

"Actually, "Burro Carwash" is a better name. Burro stops car in the road. Burro wants food. Burro is given fudge. As burro moves out of the way of the car it licks the windows. Fudge and burro saliva on the car windows. Burro carwash." :D

:D:cool:

Archived