Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wide neck???

Funkwave

Being mostly a bassist and drummer, I need some advice on guitars.

I want to purchase a guitar to fool around with but I find that with my large hands and fingers, it's difficult to hold down a chord without strings getting muffled or muted.

Is there a wide neck option in purchasing a guitar? Are all necks the same width?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You just need to look around; many guitars have wider necks particularly ones made in the '80's when that seemed to be a fad. I have the opposite problem, my hands are small so I need narrow necks, which are even harder to find, I think.

Lyrics. Wasted space between solos.

I can't tell you, but I can play it for you.

Kevin Eubanks, from the Tonight Show Band, has extremely wide necks on his custom guitars. According to him, it even changes the tone. I would love to play one for a while just to see how it feels. I don't have big hands, but it should be a completely different play-feeling, probably like on a classical guitar.
"Ya gots to work with what you gots to work with". - Stevie Wonder

I don't know of any exceptionally wide electric necks. (At least not on a standard 6-string model.) There's really not that much variation among electrics. Most will be just over 2 inches wide at the 12th fret. Tele's are slightly wider than Strats, but not by much.

Acoustics are usually wider, not counting Ovation or Ibanez. The widest one I've played recently was a Taylor 614CE. The very widest necks will be on classical guitars with flat fretboards.

-Bob

My Taylor 710 acoustic has a wider neck than most acoustic I've played or is it a 'fingerstyle' neck.

I understand that the Parker guitars have a wider neck too.

I prefer the wider neck for how it fits my hand, but also I think it offers better opportunity for smoother areggios with a pick and also cleaner, easier fingerpicking.

Originally posted by alcohol_:

I understand that the Parker guitars have a wider neck too.

I don't have the dimensions at hand, but my Parker certainly felt wider than some I've had. It really took some time to get used to that guitar, but now that it's gone, I sure miss it.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I assume that you're talking about a wider nut as opposed to a fatter neck... Most better acoustic steel strings have a 1 3/4 nut while some of the fender electrics, for example have 1 5/8 or less. Gibsons are 1 11/16. Classical guitars usually have 2 inches. Few electrics come with a 1 3/4 unless they are custom made. companies like Warmoth USA Custom will supply necks with wider fingerboards although past 1 3/4 the neck pocket needs to be modified.

1/8 of an inch is a pretty big difference on a fingerboard

The Carvin bolt is 1.71... which feels about as wide as I've played in an electric and certainly is wider than a vintage style Fender. I'm not sure how that translates to fractions. The Carvin holdsworth is the same width and very fat if you're looking for fat too.

Roy

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/alexisdmusic.htm

"once it stops bein' a mystery it stops bein' true"

David Mowaljarlai - Ngarinyin Aboriginal Elder

I wanted a wide neck too. So I asked around and ordered a wider neck from Warmoth (dot com). Worth checking out for the explanations of necks and such even if you don't want to build a custom (ish) guitar. Their 1-7/8 nut strat neck doesn't need a custom neck pocket, either. Never tried it, though, probably looks like an airstrip :)

I tried a 1-3/4" nut strat (bubinga, even) and liked it. I have fat fingers, and chords can still suck on a 1-11/16" nut USA strat. I ordered one, maybe this will be the right thing. Some people here say that you should be able to play, no matter long/ short scale, wide/ narrow fingerboard. IMO the reason for different guitars is that poeple are made differently, just like guitars. :)

The plus side to big hands (am I opening a can of worms here?!) is easier reach on long scale guitars. But some chords feel like a finger sandwich. And sound like it too. But I am a newbie on guitar...

still a noob!

Well, this is a common complaint of new players. I wouldn't go too nuts on your hunt or go to too much expense. If the chords feel and sound like "finger sandwiches", some of that kind of goes away as your skill level increases.

Your finger placement gets more exacting and accurate in their placement to make room for all needed fingers. For instance, I had trouble using three fingers for a A chord. But when you work all the fingers in there enough times, you get the touch after a while, and you find out that there's plenty of room at the inn.

LEGAL DISCLOSURE: I say this, of course, without having seen your fingers.

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

On the one hand, you could try (as mentioned before) as many different new AND used guitars as you can get your hands on (and around), and the various nut-width and profile shape and size offerings from Warmoth. (Their necks are of extremely excellent quality; I love 'em!)

On the other, chances are that "practice, practice, practice" will eventually lead you to be able to play on most necks, though you'll always have your preferences.

Anyways...

Nut-width and the ensuing string-spacing are just part of all this; a fatter, fuller neck will position your hand with your thumb and fingers more greatly spread out, and allow for much longer endurance before fatigue and crampiness sets in. Especially relevent if you play a lot of barre- and partial-barre-chords! Ya ever get that cramp in between your thumb and 1st-finger? A fuller profile neck reduces that quite a bit.

Take advantage of those dinasaur digits and play to your strengths; cultivate chords where one finger-tip frets two notes, freeing up your other fingers. And all manner of partial-barre chords, too. Most of 'em make for slidin' all up 'n' down the neck, so they're very versatile.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Sorry but were you asking acoustic or electric?

Wide fretboards?

Or thicker through dimension?

Price range?

Thanks,

Rob

Label on the reverb, inside 1973 Ampeg G-212: "Folded Line Reverberation Unit" Manufactured by beautiful girls in Milton WIS. under controlled atmosphere conditions.

Fenders are kind of weird...narrow nuts and wide string spacing at the bridge. Most imported necks have the 1 11/16" nut width. A lot can be done by just making a new nut with wider spacing. Also, many times what is perceived as a narrow neck is in reality just a nut that leaves the strings too high above the FB.

Get yourself a set of cheap calipers($10=$20), and go around to the stores measuring the nut width. Sit down with a half dozen of the widest, check out the string spacing on the nut, see if you can open it up a bit. Your $500 budget seems entirely doable to me, but you'll have to dig for it...which can be both fun AND an major educational experience.

Consider this a thread hijack :)

I just got my 1-3/4" nut width (they measured 1.761"), Wolfgang profile, AAA Birdseye maple neck from Warmoth with the 6100 frets. Dropped it off with a set of staggered Sperzel locking tuning machine heads and an Earvana nut to get assembled at the local guitar store. Should have it by the weekend, so I can fill you in. I have big hands with big fingertips, too.

BTW, Warmoth made a BEAUTIFUL neck. It sure wasn't free, but I don't regret it a bit.

Seth

Originally posted by surgevw:

I wanted a wide neck too. So I asked around and ordered a wider neck from Warmoth (dot com). Worth checking out for the explanations of necks and such even if you don't want to build a custom (ish) guitar. Their 1-7/8 nut strat neck doesn't need a custom neck pocket, either. Never tried it, though, probably looks like an airstrip :)

I tried a 1-3/4" nut strat (bubinga, even) and liked it. I have fat fingers, and chords can still suck on a 1-11/16" nut USA strat. I ordered one, maybe this will be the right thing. Some people here say that you should be able to play, no matter long/ short scale, wide/ narrow fingerboard. IMO the reason for different guitars is that poeple are made differently, just like guitars. :)

The plus side to big hands (am I opening a can of worms here?!) is easier reach on long scale guitars. But some chords feel like a finger sandwich. And sound like it too. But I am a newbie on guitar...

still a noob!

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by Zweite Version:

Kevin Eubanks, from the Tonight Show Band, has extremely wide necks on his custom guitars. According to him, it even changes the tone.

Does it roll off all the high end?

Warmoth makes great necks with many nut width options.

The problem I've had with just increasing the spacing on the nut is that when doing pull offs, the high E string will go off the edge of the fret. The low E can slip off too.

Archived