Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Corporate Idol

pauldil

I work for a very large company. Today I auditioned for the company's first ever talent show and was selected to perform. They got the producer of "Star Search" to put it together. The cool thing is that they're flying me all expenses paid to New York in early March for the show. Should be fun :thu: !

Paul

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by pauldil:

I work for a very large company. Today I auditioned for the company's first ever talent show and was selected to perform. They got the producer of "Star Search" to put it together. The cool thing is that they're flying me all expenses paid to New York in early March for the show. Should be fun :thu: !

Paul

You have become fearless Paul! And that is fantastic. I really respect your approach and dedication to learning. It's an inspiration. Keep us informed of how it goes. :)

You the man Paul.Before your first song say

I'd like to dedicate this first song to all

my buds on the forum...Thank you thank you very much.Good luck :thu:

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Thanks guys! I just got a call from the organizers and it looks like there will be 800+ in the audience. The judging will be done by the president of the company (I just heard she plays guitar :cool: ), a couple of "Hollywood" producers??, plus the audience gets to vote too. I was going to use pre-recorded accompaniment, but I just found out there'll be a band there. I've got to send them charts and I get to rehearse with them the day before the show. Sounds like it'll be a ton fun! Now I just have to decide which guitar to take... :cool::cool:

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

I just went to the first dress rehearsal for the show today. It was awesome. I brought my Ibanez GB10 and Im playing My Favorite Things. The band they provided is great! Drums, bass, piano, guitar & sax. They can even make me sound good! The show is tomorrow and Harry Belafonte is going to be one of the judges. How cools is that? :cool: . As it happens, one of my guitar teachers in Chicago played with Harry in the early 60s, so Im going to throw in a little piece of the Banana Boat Song into my improv tomorrow just as a little homage. This should be a blast!! I dont think I stand a chance to win, but thats not really why I came. I just couldnt pass up an all expense paid trip to NY to play guitar in front of 800+ people.

Paul

THIS IS A SIGN :thu:

It must be a sign, a moment of awakening a opportunity for you to take flight and make yourself be heard unto the masses and spread your message of song!!!

or then you just might be one lucky, lucky bastard :D:D

Either way you're sure to have a great experience.

Knock 'em out!

... and take your photographer & publicist with you.

we need a record of this!

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Originally posted by pauldil:

Thanks guys! They're going to give all the participants a DVD of the show. Hopefully I can at least post the audio portion if it turns out good.

Paul

"If" it turns out good? Please. You and a live band on stage is a guarantee. Go for it :thu:

Well, the show was last night. As I anticipated, I didn't win since I was doing an instrumental, but it was still an amazing experience. There were 5 judges in all (the audience had 1/5 of the vote). The scoring was on a scale of 1 to 5, 5 being best. I didn't score too badly - just shy of 21 out of 25 points. After each performer, the 4 judges were asked to critique the performance, and Harry Belafonte was really kind. He said "I've been looking for a guitraist exactly like him for a long time", to which the president of my company said "You can't have him!" :D After the show, some of the cast & crew went out for drinks and we wound up playing tunes at a bar till the wee hours. What a blast! I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Once I get a copy of the show, I'll post something on the music thread.

By the way, the band they hired for the show was phenomenal! The guitarist, Lou Volpe, is an absolute monster player :eek::thu: . If anyone ever has a chance to check him out in the NY area, do it!

Paul

Way to go, Paul!

Sounds like you did great and had a great time. :thu: Did you make sure Harry got your number, just in case? :D

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Archived