Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

guitar for shredding

jimbojones

Hey all,

Jimbojones here, reporting form the low down lowdown bass forum....

I have been learning guitar for the last 3 years, specifically classical and rock, and currently own an epiphone korina flying V, which is starting to get on my nerves.

It really doesn't have a great feel to it. I've felt more playability on the cheapest overseas stratocaster. The action sucks and I have adjust god knows how many times, the tuners are wacked out, and it has a horrible feedback problem where I can't play with a drummer. I can stand 20 feet away from my amp with my back to the amp with the volume nob half way up and I still get it.

Although it has a decent tone and an excellent clean tone for the price, its a little too crunchy when played with distortion.

I plan on selling it in the near future so that I can get a new one for christmas from the old man (depending on the old GPA). I plan on selling the guitar along with many other items including all my paintball stuff (what a waste o' dough), extra practice amps, and other unused guitar accessories.

I am currently looking for a replacement guitar, that is, of course, a little more higher end. So here's my question: What models/brand names do you recomend for metal that have a regular body shape shape (exeption of a randy rhoads jackson)a tremolo, dual humbuckers, with good feel and good sound (nevermind looks).

I'm looking at a pricerange between $750 and $1000

some comments on these models would be appreciated:

- Jackson randy rhoads

- ESP kirk hammet signature model

- ESP M-2

- ESP ex-400db

- ESP Dave Mustaine signature model

I know I'm askin for alot, so thanks in advance!

Peace

- James

primus sucks

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So here's my question: What models/brand names do you recomend for metal that have a regular body shape shape (exeption of a randy rhoads jackson)a tremolo, dual humbuckers, with good feel and good sound (nevermind looks).

Something by Ibanez should be right up your alley ... RGT320FM or RGT42FM - or perhaps the Joe Satriani model. They actually come in a little under $700, and have non-flame maple top cousins that cost even less.

Of course "good feel" is a personal thing, I personally find the Ibanez Wizard necks a bit on the thin side, but from what I hear they are synonymous with shred ...

I own a Epiphone LP Standard with a EMG 81 in the brigde and a EMG 85 in the neck and I think it shreds. Its a pretty heavy piece of wood and with the EMGs its a rockin sound. The Ibanez RG1570 is fast and I even like the lower priced RG350DX. These have fast, wide, and flat necks which caters to shred type playing. My all time favorite shred guitars are the mid 80's model 2 Charvels. Love the neck and it has a good weight to it to. You can find them used on ebay in the $400.00 neighborhood. Just replace the brigde and maybe the pickup. Hear samples of my shredding with this Charvel and a Ibanez Roadstar at

www.sugardaddykinkade.com

People seem to pretty consistently confirm that Carvin's necks are really fast and "shredder friendly". I would suggest going with a neck-through model for that biting attack and sustain. They are extremely well made guitars and you have it built to your specs, essentially. You cannot buy them in stores as they are only factory-direct unless you can find them used in your local shops or on eBAY. www.carvin.com . Boggs
Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

I used to have a Peavey Vandenberg that had all the requirements for shredding. I also owned a Charvel Fusion that was good for it too. I dunno if they even make either guitar. I would stay away from radical V shapes personally. Uncomfortable to play and I think they sound like crap. You are sacrificing playability and tone for looks with a V guitar, never a good idea.

Look for low action, double coil pickup in the bridge position (duncan distortion?), 24 frets, and of course a floyd rose whammy!!

Now I'm reconsidering....

My three main guitars of interest are now a JACKSON MG DINKY(about $600), a IBANEZ S MODEL W/ QUILT MAPLE TOP($600), and an IBANEZ JOE SATRIANI 100($770).

I would imagine that the jackson dinky and the joe satriani would be better than the Ibanez S model because there is no quilt maple top, but are still the same price. Also, are there any ibanez rg models anyone would reccomend?

In regards to sound, I thought they all sounded pretty good, but the Joe Satriani was a tad better. I also liked the sound of the Ibanez S model because it had 2 humbuckers with a single coil in the middle, which can give you a more versitile clean sound. In regards to feel, in order, first came the Joe Satriani, then came the Ibanez S model, and then the Jackson.

primus sucks

As I said before, that "quilt top" is a very thin veneer and likely has little impact on the cost of the guitar.

I would recommend either Ibanez since they're Japanese-built and the Japanese still have the best quality control. I think the mid-price Jacksons are built in Taiwan or India. The Joe Satriani model should have a push/pull knob for coil splitting to yeild single-coil tones.

FWIW I have an Ibanez 540S-7 (S-series) and an RG 7421 and they're both excellent guitars.

Since you seem to prefer the sound JS model, you should probably get that one.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Now it's boiled down to the Joe satriani and the S model w/ quilt maple top. The reasons that I am still interested in the S model is because of its comfort (lightweight thin body w/ wizard II neck) and its HSH pickup configuration. I like the HSH more as opposed the the HH because it offers more sound options and, in my opinion, better clean tones.
primus sucks

Jimbo, you should seriously check this out before you hit the stores. these were made in Japan and come with dimarzio pickups, an ultra thin neck, floyd rose, ash body and the ultimate neck joint ever for high fret access. i had a 721 and can honestly say the neck joint is solid as a rock.

this is very "Ibanez" in feel, yet still strat enough to play other types of music. these are no longer made and if i had any money i would grab it. oh yeah, the necks were made by Warmoth.

AWESOME GUITAR FOR A GREAT PRICE!!!!!

I went to guitar center today for like the 16th time! LOL! It's only three blocks away. Lucky me huh?

Well, I think I'm gonna go with the ibanez S470dx (without the quilt maple top). It's only like $480. It's even lighter than the one with the quilt maple top and I really like the HSH pickups.

Overall, I think the pickups, neck, weight, and comfort of the S470dx outwayed the slightly better sound and feel of the JS100. IMO

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/51/519934.jpg

primus sucks

personally from experience, i would also tell you to check out the latest peavey guitars. when i bought my last electric (not this one), i didnt have alot of cash and i needed something good for cheap. at the time i bought a peavey tracer and i was super impressed at the quality and tone. make sure that ibenez isn't thin sounding. my experience is that they have a tinny sound. but maybe they are different now. my tracer was a total shredding guitar but i got rid of it because i opted for a guitar without a tremelo bridge. I would definately check out some peavey stuff if you can.

Archived