Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Godin guitars

Jeebus

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Mudcat:

Originally posted by DARKLAVA:

Nice guitars,but they are made in little

sweat shops in Jesus land buy Bible thumping

devils. :evil:

Thought these were from the Great White North, eh?
Hey I was just messin with the Jeeb,I didn't

know he was going to bring his sss thug with him.

New Hampshire,is there one in Canada too?If so

sorry my bad. :cool:

If this is your first visit to Godin, we'd like to take a few minutes to introduce ourselves. We started building guitars over twenty years ago in a village in Quebec Canada called La Patrie. The man that started it all is Robert Godin. Robert still owns the company and he continues to design the vast majority of our guitars.

We are a Canadian company with our head office located in Montreal and we build our guitars in four different locations, three in Quebec and one in New Hampshire. For those of you keeping score, that adds up to six factories spread out over about 1000 kilometers. So why not just have one giant guitar factory? Although there are some obvious inconveniences associated with spreading ourselves out this much, the up-side is that these smaller operations promote a more intimate working environment which gets everybody more involved and this is reflected in the instruments themselves.

Godin guitars are assembled in our Berlin, New Hampshire factory. The necks and bodies are all made in our original location in La Patrie, Quebec.

We are also known for our acoustic guitars which include the following brands : Seagull, Simon & Patrick, Norman, LaPatrie and Art & Lutherie.

From the beginning the company has been more or less divided between our acoustic side and electric side. The electric side of our business was originally that of a parts supplier to other guitar companies. We built their necks and bodies. You might be amazed to find out how many different guitar brands are all being produced in the same handful of factories. We're not telling you this because we want to divulge somebody's secrets but simply to let you know where we're coming from. In any case, what started out as some generic replacement necks and bodies soon evolved into a major business producing finished necks and bodies for many established U.S. guitar companies. The great thing about this is the tremendous experience that we gained building all of these instruments to their various specifications. The down side is that the sub-contracting business is a pain in the neck, so to speak, but more importantly it does not include the best part of building new guitars and that is: coming up with new designs and coaxing them through the process that begins with a sketch and ends with the music.

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

if you are looking at the sa models i can say the xtsa is sweet. the manager at the local store was gushing over his, and i had chance to diddle around with it before i had to go home. they are very nicely priced. and built like you wouldn't believe.

of course you could go all out and get the lgxsa model. as for tone, godins have an amazing resonance and tone before you even plug them in. the neck pockets are 100% free of paint and finish (wood on wood) and very deep. some people raz me occasionally when i rave on Godin. i can't help it, i love the R. Godin's direction. He loves what he does and does it for the instruments. if he was driven solely for profit the insruments would suffer.

i have owned alot of guitars (really) and have always been selling ,trading and buying. it is a joke to my friends. but over a year ago i bought my Godin LG sp90, and i can say i will never get rid of this guitar.

but we all have different tastes and i can't say that Godin is for everyone. some people will always be Les Paul or Strat people.

just don't let the low price of some models fool you. check them out, they are high quality guitars.

thanks Darklava for the help. i can name two companies that have used Lasido (Godin) for necks in the past.

Fender

Kramer

somewhere i have read that the new freeway classic neck is a Valley Arts profile. so i assume they may have done contract work for them as well.

as for the Godin designed pickups, they are wound at the same "contracted" facility as Mr. Seymour Duncans pickups are. Seymour duncan's custom shop pickups are still done in house but the regular line of SD pickups are wound (to spec) at a factory with state of the art equipment. i have recieved this info from the guys at my local store after they recieved the Godin Factory tour. one guy came home with an LGX neck with ebony fretboard as a gift. thats better than a Tee shirt! :D

What is the difference between the LGX-SA and the XT-SA? I'm also considering saving some money and picking up one of the P90 models. Basically, I'm into getting a guitar with as much tonal variety as possible, but maybe I should think trying to add stuff that doesn't overlap what I currently own.

the LGXsa is from the "signature" line (upper end).

they have Seymour Duncan pickups. and solid mahogany bodies with figured maple carved tops. body binding is like PRS (natural wood).

the XTsa is the performance model sa version.

it has the same pickups as the freeway classic, Sdxt and Solidac. hum/single /hum godin designed pickups.

the body is silverleaf maple with poplar wings for weight reduction and a veneer flame maple top. it uses the same neck (ebony fretboard) as the LGXsa.

i believe the saddle transducers and preamp/ acc, synth access setup is basically same in both.

the cost savings come from the body and magnetic pickups being the same as the Solidac model.

the Xtsa is more like the LGXt seeing it has a trem.

don't be alarmed by the XTsa maple body, the maple they use is dense and has properties similar to mahogany. i would never call these guitars overly bright.

i owned an SDxt with the same body and it was very warm. the XTsa is heavy and solid. a very nice guitar. the LGXsa is the premium model.

i would like to have the XTsa, the hum/sing/hum pickup setup is very versatile.

oh yeah they have a fender scale (25.5) as opposed to the shorter scale of gibson (24.75).

my LG uses the shorter scale and 2 p90s. it is very versatile for a two pickup guitar. the newer LG sp90 and hmb use a 22 fret neck as opposed to the 24 fret one on mine.

if you like your strat you will find the godins fit like a strat, the body shape and neck placement gives it the comfy feel of a strat.

i am rambling now ....

did i even answer the question?

my soundclick has two songs done with the LGsp90,

"she moves me" and "the lizard".

i played through a GT6 and didn't spend much time with patches.

you should check them out and hear them in person.

Just my two cents.

I have owned many guitars over the years, and was never truly satisfied. Being a hobby player with a limited budget, I was relegated to to lower priced models like Squier's, Epi's, Samick's ,etc... Not that these are bad guitars, but being lower end I always found quality and set-up issues and ended up playing around with set-ups more than I did playing music. And I always found the pick-ups lacking (or totally crap).

This past summer I discovered Godin. Handmade in North America these guitars are a fantastic value. They are a pro quality instrument at a budget price. My SDxt played great right out of the box, and I've made no major set-up changes since I got it. The pick-ups sound great, and for the first time in years I'm really happy with my guitar.

They may not be right for everyone, but if you're looking for a new axe you definitely should check them out. I challenge anyone to find a North American handmade guitar, made with top grade components and including a really nice custom gig bag for $440.

sounds like my story, Wes. i played and owned lots of guitars and there was always something. i don't believe that you need spend over a grand for a decent guitar. and yes Godin proved that for me.

man this is starting to sound like a "love in"

i also had a SDxt in lightburst finish. very nice. and i miss it. that was one of my biggest mistakes getting rid of that one. :(

I do not have a Godin, and may never have one :cry:

Being (relatively) poor is a bitch :mad:

However, that being said, I have been searching for a Les Paul clone for about a year now because, a) I wanted the *great* LP tone, and b) I don't have the money for the *reat thing*. I tried a Gibson LP Std, LP DC, SG Faded, Hamer (pretty good, but 2nd one was ho-hum) and various Epi's and other clones. None of them did anything for me, even the LP Std wasn't *all that*.

I finally found *the tone* I was looking for, the Godin LG P-90. Now, if I could only afford it. Its a *bargin* at $550 or less, but .... :cry:

can't swing the money right now.

Maybe in a year or so? :confused:

Of course, *the one* that I played won't be available then ... :cry:

MAYBE until then, I'll sell my Korean Raven 1000Q H-S-H (sounds impressive don't it), and IF I get enough for it, buy an Agile AD2500 or AL2500 (in that order), for ONLY $240 + s/h :confused:

sigh ...

Anyway, imho, go for the Godin LG P-90 :thu:

It's a winna' :D

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

the LGXsa is from the "signature" line (upper end).

they have Seymour Duncan pickups. and solid mahogany bodies with figured maple carved tops. body binding is like PRS (natural wood).

the XTsa is the performance model sa version.

it has the same pickups as the freeway classic, Sdxt and Solidac. hum/single /hum godin designed pickups.

the body is silverleaf maple with poplar wings for weight reduction and a veneer flame maple top. it uses the same neck (ebony fretboard) as the LGXsa.

i believe the saddle transducers and preamp/ acc, synth access setup is basically same in both.

the cost savings come from the body and magnetic pickups being the same as the Solidac model.

the Xtsa is more like the LGXt seeing it has a trem.

don't be alarmed by the XTsa maple body, the maple they use is dense and has properties similar to mahogany. i would never call these guitars overly bright.

i owned an SDxt with the same body and it was very warm. the XTsa is heavy and solid. a very nice guitar. the LGXsa is the premium model.

i would like to have the XTsa, the hum/sing/hum pickup setup is very versatile.

oh yeah they have a fender scale (25.5) as opposed to the shorter scale of gibson (24.75).

my LG uses the shorter scale and 2 p90s. it is very versatile for a two pickup guitar. the newer LG sp90 and hmb use a 22 fret neck as opposed to the 24 fret one on mine.

if you like your strat you will find the godins fit like a strat, the body shape and neck placement gives it the comfy feel of a strat.

i am rambling now ....

did i even answer the question?

my soundclick has two songs done with the LGsp90,

"she moves me" and "the lizard".

i played through a GT6 and didn't spend much time with patches.

you should check them out and hear them in person.

Thanks! You've got some great info on these guitars.. I'm going to check them out this weekend.

:thu:

My Godin still not in :cry::cry::cry:

I like to give the local shops my business, but I would have been better off ordering over the Internet. This local dealer is having trouble getting one in. Somehow, he had let his Godin distributor status lapse (said he couldn't sell any) and so they wouldn't send him one. Now, why didn't he tell me this before I ordered it from him? Anyway, I guess the Godin rep is getting one for me from another dealer somewhere and the whole thing is taking some time. In the meantime I'm goofing around with my lite ash Strat trying to get it set up better. I've lowered the action considerably and that has helped some. I'm going to put on heavier gauge strings to try get some sustain help. The notes on the upper frets are weaker on this guitar than any I've ever played, but then I've been playing some pretty pricey guitars. I'm looking forward to getting the Godin and my Carvin in. I absolutely love the looks of this strat but I'm growing weary of the struggle for playablity and tone.

Anyway, Jeebus, in my hunt for a good P90 guitar at a reasonable price, the Godin stood out as the right choice for me. They sell well on eBay also which would allow you to recover most of the cost of trying one out. Not much of a risk there.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

bbach # 1,

Anyway, Jeebus, in my hunt for a good P90 guitar at a reasonable price, the Godin stood out as the right choice for me. They sell well on eBay also which would allow you to recover most of the cost of trying one out. Not much of a risk there.
One of the avenues I was considering in my quest for a super inexpensive avenue for getting what I want (limited resources and even more limiting spouse) was to buy a Godin on ebay since they don't hold their value too well :confused:

I've been seeing them at around $250-$300 for the LG P90 I'm intersested in.

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Originally posted by Dave da Dude:

bbach # 1,

One of the avenues I was considering in my quest for a super inexpensive avenue for getting what I want (limited resources and even more limiting spouse) was to buy a Godin on ebay since they don't hold their value too well :confused:

I've been seeing them at around $250-$300 for the LG P90 I'm intersested in.

That's interesting Dave. The last one that I bid on went for $417 plus $35 to ship it. I ordered a new one for $500 delivered. I usually go new if the price is reasonably close. I've found if they are mint they will bring in something around the $350-$400 range. I think $100 to $150 is a worthwhile risk. Any nicks or scratches would increase the loss however.

bbach

Well now you guys have me curious about Godin. I went to their website and lo and behold I DO have a Godin dealer in my area.

Tell me, has anyone tried the Freeway models yet? Those are the ones that resemble Fender Strats but have the humbuck-single coil-humbuck configuration.

I think I'll drive out there today and take a look at them.

Originally posted by BenderOfStrings:

Well now you guys have me curious about Godin. I went to their website and lo and behold I DO have a Godin dealer in my area.

Tell me, has anyone tried the Freeway models yet? Those are the ones that resemble Fender Strats but have the humbuck-single coil-humbuck configuration.

I think I'll drive out there today and take a look at them.

I have; I found the action very pleasant and the guitar quite comfortable to play as I have on just about every Godin I've tried. It's certainly a good value for the price. I liked the sound through a 30-watt Peavey Classic.

Well I tried out the freeway model today. I really liked the neck of the guitar but to be honest, I think they could've done a bit better with the humbucker pickups. If I bought one of these I'd probably put EMG pickups in there.

Another thing that annoyed me was the position of the volume knob. It is very close to the high "E" string and my hand kept bumping it and turning the volume down.

I agree on that one.

I was excited to try one, and was disappointed when I did.

The action is sweet, but I found that particular neck a little too skinny.

If I went for the top string too fast, the string would go off the edge of the neck.

Not good.

But I still love the GODINs. :cool:

Originally posted by fogman:

I agree on that one.

I was excited to try one, and was disappointed when I did.

The action is sweet, but I found that particular neck a little too skinny.

If I went for the top string too fast, the string would go off the edge of the neck.

Not good.

But I still love the GODINs. :cool:

Well, I'm looking forward to mine and starting to get pissed at the dealer who's not getting it in. In the meantime, I've taken my lite ash strat and lowered the action, then completely re-set it up, truss rod adjustment, string height, intonation. I lowered the pups and I'm getting better sustain, but I think I'm going to have to try some bigger strings. It's definately more playable than it was out of the dealer's door, but I want the Godin so's I can goof around with some P90s.

bbach

Originally posted by BenderOfStrings:

Well I tried out the freeway model today. I really liked the neck of the guitar but to be honest, I think they could've done a bit better with the humbucker pickups. If I bought one of these I'd probably put EMG pickups in there.

Another thing that annoyed me was the position of the volume knob. It is very close to the high "E" string and my hand kept bumping it and turning the volume down.

yes the neck is very nice on those, i like the neck alot. the pickups are a nice, i had the SDxt with the same pickups. if you prefer emg's i can understand that. but there is nothing wrong with the factory pickups. the guitar isn't really designed as a metal guitar.

as for the volume being close to the strings, i don't quite understand. it is handy but not close compared to a strat. now those are close!

:eek:

for the price you can upgrade the pickups to your chosing and still have a sweet deal. :thu:

Archived