Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

tone heaven again

BlueZet

A buddy in Kitchener, Ontario has a 4x10 DeVille - huge tone, LOUD, lots of definition. He plays a 347 mostly, with a synth, but I like the drive setting on it best. He keeps it cranked and the guitar turned down. I didn't know that the first time I plugged my Blade into it, and damn near deafened myself, and the first 20 or so guests. :eek:
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well...again, my MTS3212 (2x12" combo) is smaller but heavier (62 lbs.).

The DeVille is bulkier but lighter (I believe it is 50 lbs.) but it SEEMS heavier when you try and carry it like a suitcase.

After the initiial lift to cradling it, it isn't bad at all.

====================================================

Check out my original music at

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/jacker

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,

but not in practice."

One of the coolest cabinets I ever saw was hybridized:

2x10s on the top (open-backed)

2x12s on the bottom (closed-backed)

So... there was a nice low-end bump from the 12s with plenty of airy chiming from the 10s.

And it was all in one cabinet--a Gibson cab. I think it weighed maybe 30lbs or so.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Kind of makes you wonder why anyone goes with those huge 8x10 cabs. Those things weigh about 150 pounds and are the size of a small fridge.

I have enough trouble shifting my Marshall 4x12 cabs (thank God for the casters :D ). They weigh about 75 pounds each.

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by LPCustom:

Kind of makes you wonder why anyone goes with those huge 8x10 cabs. Those things weigh about 150 pounds and are the size of a small fridge.

I have enough trouble shifting my Marshall 4x12 cabs (thank God for the casters :D ). They weigh about 75 pounds each.

Ya but they are pretty easy to handle though I think, the handles on the sides are in a good place and are balanced. Its easy to flip them into say the back of a van or SUV.

Originally posted by ellwood:

How do you fell about a 1X15 combo?

I've only fiddled around with one 1x15 combo. It wasn't too heavy (about 25 pounds). It was also plenty loud but it just seemed to have too much bottom end. I don't know why, maybe the voice coil was mismatched to the cone size.

Can't remember who made the thing. It was tweed covered but it wasn't a Fender. Since I didn't care that much for the sound, I didn't pursue any futher info on it.

Born on the Bayou

Saw you guys were talking about DeVilles

I got the first runs (the 4 - 10") in '96 and I just punished that sucker w/ the PRS and a sans Amp GT 1.

Maybe there's been some improvements, but it seems that humbucker guitars have no business w/ the 4-10" model'

Maybe the 2-12 would've been better for me, I don't now

I just find the DeVilles, even w/ strats to lack personality.

They don't suck by any means, and are an above a verage amp, but the only thing I found it useful for was playing Blues, that's about it.

If I wanted that type of amp again, I would get the DR Z one w/the 4-10's

Originally posted by CMDN:

One of the coolest cabinets I ever saw was hybridized:

2x10s on the top (open-backed)

2x12s on the bottom (closed-backed)

So... there was a nice low-end bump from the 12s with plenty of airy chiming from the 10s.

And it was all in one cabinet--a Gibson cab. I think it weighed maybe 30lbs or so.

It's really cool you mentioned that.

I recently bought a thing called an "add-a-baffle" which is a template that screws onto a 12" speaker mount, making it a 10" opening, with 10" mounting stubs.

I have been going back and forth trying to decide where to use them, in my 2x12" open back cabinet, or to replace the top two 12 inchers on my Marshall closed back 4x12 cab.

I was leaning towards making the 2x12 into a 2x10 open back...but now I'm not so sure. Maybe I ought to try it first in the 4x12 Marshall.

I play mostly blues, the cabinet you heard, was it closed back, and would that sound go good with a 4x10 combo also you think?

====================================================

Check out my original music at

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/jacker

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,

but not in practice."

Originally posted by LPCustom:

Originally posted by ellwood:

How do you fell about a 1X15 combo?

I've only fiddled around with one 1x15 combo. It wasn't too heavy (about 25 pounds). It was also plenty loud but it just seemed to have too much bottom end. I don't know why, maybe the voice coil was mismatched to the cone size.

Can't remember who made the thing. It was tweed covered but it wasn't a Fender. Since I didn't care that much for the sound, I didn't pursue any futher info on it.

I just finished the 1962 Fender brown Pro Amp! with lots of help from Caevan/Bil park/Myles and WOAH! I played that thing for about two hours awhile a go and just couldnt stop! its 40 watts GT6L6-S into a vintage Jensen 15 all put into a restoration Pro Amp open backed cabinet done in original brown tolex with wheat colored grille. I was using the reissure Strat and man oh man what tone and the speaker is brand new! hasent even loosed up yet but wow is that thing responsive just sings and screams and LOUD! but a very cool loud! You know Im a Marshall guy forever and I have a vintage 4

x10 Fender SuperReverb but wow this 15 is so dynamic all the way up and down the fret board. Sustain like crazy and very very clean if you want it to be. Shimmering and growling on the low end. Anyway Im one happy ol Fender Pro camper here! ya its a red letter day in MoTown tonight!!! :D:thu:

the heaviest amp I ever owned was my Peavey Deuce 212, with the optional Black Widow speakers. It weighed a ton, and back then I was living in an apartment at the top of a very long staircase. Which meant getting it back and forth to gigs was usually a large adventure (at one point I had a 212 cabinet with a horn on the bottom to add to it). Still, I regret trading that amp - it was great when played clean, and the distortion through those Widows cranked was incredible.

My current Classic 50 has given me back the real amp tone I love, but it's also bulky and heavy. Thankfully I live in a basement apartment with not as long a staircase. I also added casters - I wanted to get official casters, but the guy at Long & McQuades suggested I go to Home Depot and get some of their dolly casters instead so I'd save some money and my back. They were under $20 for all four, and an hour was all it took to install them.

"I used to be "with it", but then they changed what "it" was! Now what I'm with isn't "it", and what is "it" is weird and scary to me. IT'LL HAPPEN TO YOU!" - Grampa Simpson

Archived