Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Does anyone else hate their Cyber-Twin?

mstreck

Well... do ya?

I've had it since Spring and I can't get a good consistant clean tone no matter what I try with it. I'm ready to put it up on eBay.

Is anyone else in this boat?

Mike

Petting Hendrix

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head by an iron boot? Of course you don't--no one does--that never happens.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

right in my wheelhouse...

i ` HATE that freakin thing. i bought it when it 1st came out-loved the motorized pots-hated the sounds that came outa it.

A/B'd it w/ some of the amps it purports to emulate or model or re synthesize or whatever clever name the pr people came up w/ ("NOT the real thing-but an incredible simulation")and the sounds were so far off that i took it right back.

i've always used old pure FENDER tube amps and maybe i'm spoiled er somethin but that damn amp stanx :bor:

s :cool:

AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Modeling was never meant to replace traditional tube amps. It was designed as an alternative for those of us who can't afford a Marshall, a Fender, a Mesa, a [insert boutique amp here], a Vox, need I continue?

Of course if you've played the real thing they suck, but until I have money for the alternative, I'll be using my Yamaha DG Stomp.

Shut up and play.

I know. I tried to get a job at GQ...they said I was too old and fat. (tugging at tie)...

Modeling sucks.

Everything in its proper perspective. Sure it sucks next to something decent, but it can be useful in certain cases...just using a POD for some scratch tracks in the bedroom on your little four track, for instance.

I've heard some pretty cool stuff from time to time. While not replacing tubes, it can be kinda cool in its own right.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I know a few people who have cyber-Twins.

I've never heard those amps sound like anything but stir-fried shit.

Modeling is a useful, practical thing for the recording environment, but I wouldn't depend on it for a real live sound.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Originally posted by CMDN:

Modeling is a useful, practical thing for the recording environment, but I wouldn't depend on it for a real live sound.

Erik, you said in one brief sentence what I was stumbling around trying to say.

Precisely.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

well i must agree a little about modeling. except for one thing. the only modeler (i have tried) that I have ever liked isn't made anymore. the DG100, it doesn't try to be a ........(insert classic amp name) it is an amp with several great tones at disposal. there is a connection between the 8 basic "amp" types. so it acts like an "real" amp. because it is. you need a good power section to get a good tone and that is what is lacking in the popular modelers. funny, the Dg100 was never the "popular" one. but it has the balls of an amp. i am not claiming it sounds better than a fullfledged tube amp. but it doesn't belong in the standard group of modelers.

the cyber twin isn't a high wattage amp anyway, it is a stereo 60 plus 60 watter (i believe). and all the effects, bells and whistles will not make up for a kicking power section.

i originally gave the cyber twin the benefit of a doulbt because of all i have read about it. but those here that have heard it seem less impressed.

i wouldn't condemn modelers in whole unless i tried every one. this is a great place for information. but unless one has tried every modeler i would suggest comments like "modeling sucks" to be a preference and an opinion rather than a truth. :D

for what it is worth i am sure there are a large number of sucky tube amps in exsistance. but i wouldn't say tube amps suck.

well thats enough ranting for now.

we all would be better off if we ignored all the claims of the advertisers and went by our ears instead. what really sucks is Marketing babble.

if modeling sucks, then why did everyone talk to me like I had 5 heads when I said I didn't like my Line 6 Spider II?

The forumite formerly known as Cooper.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." John Lennon

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will finally know peace." Jimi Hendrix

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." Jimi Hendrix

I like my Digitech RP 200. It's a great fun tool for headphones. Live use is bad due to it's lay out of foot controls. Sound is OK to very good. I got a KILLER small Tweed sound out of it. Don't use it after I got a tube amp, DS-1, Boss Chorus and Tube Screamer though.

I may put it back in the line up for it's echo stuff. Haven't played with the echo yet. I think it had one... :confused:

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

Originally posted by Reverse the Curse:

if modeling sucks, then why did everyone talk to me like I had 5 heads when I said I didn't like my Line 6 Spider II?

Sorry hope this helps ....Line 6 spiderII

sucks too :wave:

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Hi, im new in here, and was wondering if anyone can help me? Im a student and am doing an assignment on George Harrison, i need to ask his fans what he meant to you, please reply, thanks.

Jade.

hi jade, welcome!

I'm sure you'd be ok to start a new topic for your research.

Everyone's real friendly here, just give a little about yourself and i'm sure we'd be happy to give input, just give the thread a catchy title and your away.

Chris.

can i suggest deadlynightjade as your halloween name? :D:D

Here's a little update...

I copied a friend's patches into my CT. He has a much better ear for that stuff than I do, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Well.. I'd say that, with these custom patches, now I rate the amp as "passable".... But I wouldn't recommend it UNLESS you don't mind tweaking the crap out of stuff. I played exclusively using his patches at last night's gig, and I have to say that it sounded pretty darn good. Now why couldn't Fender's people come up with patches that sounded this good?

As a result of my frustration, I've got my eyes on a Mesa Boogie right now.... hmmmm. :thu:

Mike

Petting Hendrix

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head by an iron boot? Of course you don't--no one does--that never happens.

I dunno. Most factory patches either sound bad or non-relevant for real use. They also tend to be rather unfinished in temrs of being set up for performance.

I couldn't understand why the Cybertwin got such great reviews. Just before that Peavey had released the Transformer series which I thought got closer to the ideals.

Perhaps modeling works better for bass, where the norm for a rig seems more PA-like in the best sense of term as regards frequency response, and greater power linearity is usually desired. This "window" is more transparent and shows better what is behind it.

I am an underprivileged guitar picker, and I don't have a Cyber Twin to hate. Can I hate yours? I'd do a really good job of hating it, I promise!

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by CMDN:

I wouldn't record with it either. Yeah I own a POD and I use it for the kinds of things Tedster suggests - working up arrangements and song demos at low volume, or for scratch tracks. When it comes to recording the "keeper" track though, I mic an amp, period.

Originally posted by WolfZan:

i wouldn't condemn modelers in whole unless i tried every one. this is a great place for information. but unless one has tried every modeler i would suggest comments like "modeling sucks" to be a preference and an opinion rather than a truth. :D

Well let's see... I've tried all the Line 6 stuff, the Yamaha Magic Stomp, Johnson J Station, Vox Valvetronix, and Cyber Twin. That's most of 'em. Suck, suck, suck, suck and more suck. :D

for what it is worth i am sure there are a large number of sucky tube amps in exsistance. but i wouldn't say tube amps suck.

No, because we've all heard many many tube amps that don't suck. I have not yet heard a modeller that doesn't suck. I've tweaked the patches, I've used other people's patches who are purported tweak experts, I've put tube preamps in front of them to get a better analog signal going into the modeler... in short, I've really, really tried to give these things a chance but well... THEY JUST SUCK. :D

Why don't they come up with usable patches when they put out an amp or multieffect?

Because the whole idea of the patches is to sell it to 'ya in the store. They wack you on the head with overdone scooped mids, hyper distortion, over-flanged flanging, and every little quirky effect its got. That way, the weekend warrior guitar players are drooling so much that they plunk down their hard earned cash, thinking it will make any tone. By the time they get it home and realize it sounds like shiite playing "You really got me" and "Whipping post" its too late. Nobody in the sales department is going to put that thing out with subtle flavors that you only appreciate when you're experienced enough to feel the difference between a Fender bassman and a twin. And, like many of you seem to suggest, it's probably not possible to model that.

Originally posted by greenboy:

Perhaps modeling works better for bass, where the norm for a rig seems more PA-like in the best sense of term as regards frequency response, and greater power linearity is usually desired.

Yeah I agree, I think it does work better for bass than guitar. I also think it works better for high gain type distortion... modellers seem to do a better job at modelling Boogie or Soldano type sounds than Fender, Vox or Ampeg, which have much more complex distortion. And since I'm all about the Fender/Vox/Ampeg thang, modelling does not make me happy.

Stuff like the bass POD does not offend me however. But then again... I've been recording both bassists that I play with through a Sans Amp Bass Driver and it sounds fantastic, WAY better than any supposed modeller I've heard, and that's a 100% analog circuit.

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Originally posted by greenboy:

[qb].. modellers seem to do a better job at modelling Boogie or Soldano type sounds than Fender, Vox or Ampeg, which have much more complex distortion.

I agree that they can make a very authentic mondo distortion type sound. But if my Boogie sounded like their model of a Boogie, I would have gotten rid of it a LONG time ago.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Originally posted by WolfZan:

Well let's see... I've tried all the Line 6 stuff, the Yamaha Magic Stomp, Johnson J Station, Vox Valvetronix, and Cyber Twin. That's most of 'em. Suck, suck, suck, suck and more suck. :D

No, because we've all heard many many tube amps that don't suck. I have not yet heard a modeller that doesn't suck. I've tweaked the patches, I've used other people's patches who are purported tweak experts, I've put tube preamps in front of them to get a better analog signal going into the modeler... in short, I've really, really tried to give these things a chance but well... THEY JUST SUCK. :D
Lee,

Its fine to have an opinion about the modelers, but saying they outright suck seems to be a little much of an overgeneralization to me. Like I said, it's all about experience. How long have you played guitar? How long have you been using your amp?

I've never had the joy of a real tube amp, so to me, these modelers still sound pretty good. The Line 6 stuff has never impressed me, but my DG Stomp as well as the Vox Valvetronix series sounds pretty damn good to me. I agree with you that nothing beats a tube amp, but I haven't been spoiled enough to claim all modelers suck. For what it's worth, I've heard a couple tube amps that just suck.

BTW - What kind of tube amp do you have? I keep forgetting.

Shut up and play.

Archived